Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me design my reloading/gun room!!

Well, we're getting ready to move the OTHER direction, only not as far! Montana. SWMBO saw this thread and we've been discussing it. We have a good lower kitchen cabinet left over unused from when we remodeled our kitchen a while back. It has 2 doors, and a couple drawers in it and could be a good support for one end of a bench. It has no top on it now and no shelves inside, but that's easy.
    24.5 deep X 41 Long x 36 tall. You have to road trip down here to Robstown to get it. Drop down through Cuero, Goliad, and Refugio and then down 77 to us...about 2.5 hours. You need to do it fairly quick though....we're in final packing mode, looking to get a U-haul rented toward the end of the week if all goes well. Shoot me a PM with a phone number and I'll send a photo of the cabinet from my phone. We have some other scrap wood laying around that might help. For that mattter we have some used appliances we'll be looking to sell too! Totally serious about the cabinet and wood offer however.

PM Sent
    Last edited by Monttexan; 02-23-2014 at 02:05 PM.
    Browncoat

Well...I just made a boolit, with a mold that I got from a member here, a hot plate, a cap off the end of a ujoint and a pair of pliers.

Set two boolits I recovered from my 45 colt in the ujoint cap and set it on the hot plate. Got it melted, picked up the cap and poured it in the mould. I know, it's not perfect, but the mold was cold. Can't wait to get a pot and lead and really start casting again.

Well....I was gonna size up some 270 brass to try out my bench, and out of my 3 sets of dies that use that shell holder, I don't have a shell holder for that case head.

So I sized about 100 45 colts up. Worked good. Then I found a lone 454 case in with my 45 colts, so I sized, belled and loaded it with the boolit I made for a function dummy in my Puma 92 454. SLICKEST BOOLIT I HAVE TRIED YET. They just fall right into the chamber from the lifter. I couldn't be happier. Should be good on pigs too

Boolit Grand Master
    Doesn't get much better, does it Daniel?
    Last edited by btroj; 02-23-2014 at 05:47 PM.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Much enter?

Boolit Grand Master
    Enter, better, close enough. Dang iPad.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Lol. I figured thats what ya meant. Pretty happy with the mold, considering I made a wrinkle less boolit with broken parts off my pickup lol

Boolit Master
    Like R5R said don't block the entire window, natural light is a big plus.
    Anotheer +1 on bigger than you think you need. Stuff multiplies!
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Moderator Emeritus

Im in the process of building a 14' x. 28' .... just lay out your man's cave in a way that works for you.....I am building and "L" style reloading bench...it will be screwed to the wall.....you will need plenty of light....there was a thread a week ago about a member building some great wall units....if you pm me I will see if I can find them for you.....a safe will be good (I prefer bolted to the slab). Dont be afraid to make your mark on it and build it your way......for you......it will be a work in progress and you will enjoy it!

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    We still do not know if JR will own or is he just renting.

Makes a world of difference as to what he can do .
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

I'm renting bill. I believe i Said that a few post up

Boolit Master

Good plan, Daniel.

I made the top of my bench out of a 4x8 sheet of 3/8 B/C plywood cut in 2 x 4 foot sheets and glued together. I bolted the top to an old cabinet so I had a locking space below my bench. Watch the swing on the doors when you mount your press. wheels underneath and the top made the bench 41 inches off the floor.

I used a 2x4x8 stud to 'hang' the cabinet with the new top on the wall by cutting the stud lengthwise (ripping) on an angle (I used 45*). I mounted the lip down part on the bench under the plywood top and the lip up part on the wall (with long deck screws to hold it in the studs).

It was there for 2 years before we moved and a thin coat of spackle and paint made that wall new again. I sill have the bench. I added a second press at right angles on the corner and a 1 1/4 inch pipe under the presses to the floor to support the additional stress when I moved.

That closet will make a secure gun cabinet with a little work. Don't forget to ventilate to keep the humidity away from your guns.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Boolit Buddy
    Just my $0.02, I would add lots of strong shelves or solid bookcases. I am constantly tripping over clutter that I don't have room/time to store or sort. Hard to be productive in clutter,or maybe I am just flawed,haha.