RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Clip-On Wheel Weight XrF Data

Boolit Master
    Has anyone suggested this be a sticky?

This is great info that needs to be put someplace it won't drop off, I'd also like to see the test sheets just a tad larger.

Meanwhile I will see if I can print each sheet larger for a refference folder for the next time I blend an alloy.

Nice to see manufacturing ha some consistancy WW alloy has been debated here for yrs and this certainly irons out that wrinkle.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Has anyone suggested this be a sticky?

This is great info that needs to be put someplace it won't drop off, I'd also like to see the test sheets just a tad larger.

Meanwhile I will see if I can print each sheet larger for a refference folder for the next time I blend an alloy.

Nice to see manufacturing ha some consistancy WW alloy has been debated here for yrs and this certainly irons out that wrinkle.
    There is another thread with more XrF testing that is a sticky. This thread should be combined with that thread and locked to avoid trying to find this important data in a 300 post thread. As for me, I copied the info from both threads and combined them in a Word document. Much too valuable info to loose.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

I plan to make and post a summary sheet when I get through. Each group is consistent enough that the average values will be useful. I'm sorry it is taking so long, If I didn't have that nagging day job to take care of... Oh wait, thats who is letting me use the equipment and paying me....

PM me if you want the actual Excel file.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by khmer6 View Post
    Hahahahaha ROFL. Somebody out there probably still has buckets and buckets they collected from the 70s
    Just a couple of weeks ago, I bought a .50cal ammo box at an estate sale that was about half filled with wheel weights. All were good. I melted them down and cast them into ingots. Got 15-1/2 lbs for $4.00. They cast clean and measured about Bhn 12 or so after a few days of setting. Most of the other stuff in his garage was for work on OLD cars (lots of points & condensors, spark plugs, etc.). 1970's would have been a good guess. I admit the number of such finds are a LOT fewer now, but I still find them once in a while.

Offer still good for a spreadsheet of this info? Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

BNE just sent me the results from some samples that I sent to be tested. Four years after the test posted at the beginning of this thread, clip-on weights still seem to be about the same alloy. My samples were a random ingot from 2 different 350# batches smelted from a 6000# haul.

Sample #1 Sample #2
    PB- 96.7 PB- 96.4
    SB- 2.7 SB- 2.8
    SN- 0.6 SN- 0.8

These were not sorted by brand or type, just 100% clip-on weights. If it matters, they came from the deep South.

Boolit Man

Thank you for all the time and effort that you put into this. It has helped me understand WW.

Boolit Master
    I recently purchased two boxes of COWW from different eBay sellers, one 50lbs and one a bit over 70lbs. After melting them down into 1lbs ingots, I performed a ~25% sample across the entire yield. The attached printout has the complete dataset, but the overall numbers are:

Sn_avg = 0.416% StdDev 0.072%
    Sb_avg = 2.236% StdDev 0.196%
    Pb_avg = 97.101% StdDev 0.336%
    Zn_avg = 0.085% StdDev 0.024%

All other elements fell below the sensor's level of detail.

That looks pretty shootable to me on its own, and just a bit of tin from scrap solder rolls could even out your SnSb levels. Does this look much like the COWWs of yore?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Great data ….l
    Regards
    John

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234