Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you get too much soot on a mold?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jgh4445 View Post
    You guys nailed it! Cleaned the molds really well and started casting. BTW, I've always used a 4 lb bottom dripper to cast with. This is my first experience with a ladle. What I've learned:

Don't smoke it.
    Get it clean!
    Get it clean some more.
    Get it hot!
    Don't pour slowly or dribble with a ladle. Set the ladle in the sprue hole with the mold turned sideways, turn it up and let it dump.

The mold that was pouring .457 @ 501 to 503 is now pouring 458-59 @ 505-509.
    The mold that was pouring .454 @ 507-511 is now pouring .458 - 460 @ 520 - 525.
    What a difference!
    I love a story with a happy ending.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Me too, Rick!

Wayne, lead pressure - versus - both mold and lead together temps, is the only game in town. It is just sometimes easier with a good ladle to find that perfect situation. Of course, it all varies with the ambient conditions, so nothing can be set in stone except for that one condition. The larger diameter the boolit is, the more pressure is NORMALLY is required with lower lead temp, but still a relativity high mold temp. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to smoke the molds.
    I got tired of re smoking when I got troublesome boolits. Had to be a better way.

After boiling the molds, I scrubbed with Comet cleanser. I scraped the corners of the cavities to make sure there was nothing in them.
    I don't need to smoke anymore. The boolits fall with a gentle tap of a rawhide mallet.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I thought the problem was solved...now its back to casting small and then large. Maybe something I'm doing or not doing. I have noticed that when I get one that has the correct diameter, say 457 or 458, I can leave it in my calipers and turn it and the diameter goes down to 451 up to 454, down to 434 and back to 457. I think it may not be a truly round mold.
    Ask an American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did for his lands and his way of life. Then, think about your children's and grandchildren's future.

Boolit Master
    You need to lap the mold. I bought a kit from a member here, years ago. Don't know if those are still available.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12