RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W 500 -- 330gr -- Lil' Gun Loads

If you haven't checked hogdons sight they have listings for a 325g bullet. I like long shot for medium loads in the big boomers. It does tend to get lost in the big 500 case so check and double check before putting your bullet on top

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by want500 View Post
    Thanks Master_Mechanic...I keep reading Lil' Gun burns too hot and causes premature forcing cone erosion...I might just save it for my higher grain loads.

How many grains of Unique or H110 do you use in a 330grain bullet with no GC?
    Quote Originally Posted by Master_Mechanic View Post
    I have used unique and h110 for my 500 loads, the unique is more of a light load and the h110 is more full power. I am pretty sure i read somewhere about lil gun not being a great powder for 500 loads.
    I save my lil'gun for my "little gun" (22 hornet).

I'm with Master_Mechanic on unique and h110 for the 500.
    I load a 385gr Balisticast RF PB with 17gr of Unique.
    I load the Lee 440gr RF with GC with H110, I don't recall the load right now.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys! Really informative.

I'm still stuck with only lil' gun for now... I tried 40 grains over a 325grain jacketed Hornady and it went fine.

I have one general question for you experience reloaders....how much can you down load a powder charge until you risk getting a squib? Say the recommended load is 40 grains, can you go as low as 30gr as a general rule of thumb? Or maybe 10%? Or is it too different from powder to powder to have a rule of thumb.

Moderator Emeritus

some powders, like H110 or W-296, downloading below the manufacturer's data is a NO-NO. I wouldn't hazard a GUESS about Lil'gun and downloading, as I have no idea.
    Trial Boss or Unique would be my suggestions if you want to go lower than the book.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Lil-gun, H-110, 296 can only be downloaded if you fill the case to 90-95%. I have downloaded H-110 and Lil-gun by putting in the charge I want and adding a 1/2" cardboard disc over the powder followed by 410 felt wads to take up all the space in the case. Your results may vary. Lot easier to just use Unique. I load a 350gr over 20gr Unique and a 475gr over 16gr Unique with no fillers. Download as you like with Unique. Problem with some powders is a light charge just lays flat in the case when you fire and the primer either causes a fizzle where the bullet gets stuck in the barrel or a detonation where you need to buy a new gun and a prosthetic hand.
    Dave
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm.

Remember incoming fire has the right of way

Banned

My friend is shooting my 440 gr for the JRH out of his S&W .500 with full loads of 296, it is a PB just water dropped. Best boolit for the JRH. My .475 uses a PB.
    I have taken a PB to over max in the .454 and they shot good.
    But we have not shot a light boolit.
    I would think 2400 would be a good choice.
    I sure don't worry about a PB anymore. Just keep it tough enough.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried using LiGun with a 460gr FN, in my .500 S&W. Noticed that there appeared to be some flame cutting of the top strap. Don't remember the load, don't need to as I stopped using it.

Ghost101

Boolit Master
    I "think" that all those individuals argueing the virtues of "Lil Gun" should not heed the warnings of individuals with 20 to 30 or more years of experience shooting "Hand Cannons" it's there thing!
    What the Heck do they know? You young guys in the know should just keep doing what you have been doing, since you have thourghly investigated the powder, why listen to anyone young/old guys. Problem solved!!