MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smooth boolits?????

Boolit Master

smooth boolits?????

Ok I am going to ask! do you really need the groves on a boolit if you use powder coat? curious!
    Frank G.

Aussies have been shooting pistol with out grooves, haven't gotten my 30 cal almost grooveless mould yet. Probably a month before I get results. My 9mm almost grooveless works fine. IMHO a grooveless 223 would do fine, add some weight & strength.
    Last edited by popper; 02-21-2014 at 02:11 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    got an old lee single I think I will try
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

There's a guy on the Hi Tek part of this thread that had a machinist remove the "lube grooves" on his lee mold, I believe it was 9mm and he shoots a ton of em.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    There's a guy on the Hi Tek part of this thread that had a machinist remove the "lube grooves" on his lee mold, I believe it was 9mm and he shoots a ton of em.
    I think it was Gunoil and it was a .380 bullet.

Paper patch works without grooves. It suggests that grooves may not be needed for coated bullets.

Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    If you use a tumble lube LEE mold, by the time you spray once or DT twice, you have pretty much filled in all the microgrooves anyway. Why bother messing around with a special mold?

All my TL molds fill in until they are almost smooth coming out of the sizing die.

banger

Banger - true but it doesn't add any real load bearing to the boolit. The TL grooves should come out with some 600 paper easily.
    Last edited by popper; 02-21-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Man
    Attachment 97282

Bullets without the grooves work great! We we're getting the same groupings as the store bought swaged bullets we compared them too.

Boolit Master
    we shall see what am I going to lose think the mold cost me $10 15 years ago.
    Frank G.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Banger - true but it doesn't add any real load bearing to the boolit. The TL grooves should come out with some 600 paper easily.
    I am happy with my standard and TL groove slugs with the PC I am now getting. If someday I want to "ruin" one of my TL molds, I will just put in the mill and bore the grooves out. No big whoop.

banger.

Boolit Man
    If you modify the mold, do it on nothing less than a mill and make sure it's indicated in perfectly. A few tenths of a thousandth is visible on a cast bullet, but being off a little usually covers with the powder coat and sizes out. My mold was made without lube grooves to start with and it hasn't hurt.

Never seen a lube groove on a jacketed bullet. I would consider powder coating more of a polymer jacket than a bullet lube.

Oh oh oh, I just coined a new term! I did a Google search and got: [No results found for "full polymer jacketed bullets".]
    From this day forward they will be called FPJ bullets.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
    If you modify the mold, do it on nothing less than a mill and make sure it's indicated in perfectly. A few tenths of a thousandth is visible on a cast bullet, but being off a little usually covers with the powder coat and sizes out. My mold was made without lube grooves to start with and it hasn't hurt.
    I have a full machine shop and the skills to effectively and accurately use the many tools I have. But I have no interest in milling out any of my molds. If I want one with straight sides, I will purchase it.

Thanks.

banger

Boolit Master
    If the no groove boolits pan out better than grooved ones, I am sure mold group buys can be easily arranged for. Mold makers would likely be most pleased if they did not have to make cheeries.

Boolit Master
    I might remove all the grooves and GC shank on my surplus 75gr 223 mold... At least on some cavities.

Boolit Master

I thought about this for a while and started to find a group buy on a smooth sided mold only to realize I was just searching for a way to spend money again.

Boolit Man
    If someone wants to do a side by side comparison, I have a 230 gr. RN .45 mold and 115 gr. RN 9mm mold I'll borrow.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I think it was Gunoil and it was a .380 bullet.

Paper patch works without grooves. It suggests that grooves may not be needed for coated bullets.

Don Verna
    Thanks for the correction, however, it is a 9mm bullet that he shoots in his .380, at least that's how he explained it to me.

HDS - I'd leave the GC shank on em. The lube & crimp groove are the weak spot, will collapse (slump) before the body. Could mean you can push the same alloy a little harder. Don't see any other advantage to us, maybe they drop easier, less CNC programming & QC work.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    What about accuracy if you don't use a gas check but keep the shank?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast