WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: 12 Cavity RB Lee Mold .490"

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

12 Cavity RB Lee Mold .490"

I just ordered one of the new Lee 12 cavity RB molds in .490". Reckon I screwed up? I have one of their 18 cavity buckshot molds, and it works ok except I can't get it hot enough to consistently fill out the bottom 6 cavities.

I also ordered a second Lyman Plains Pistol I'm gonna be Yosemite Sam of Louisiana. Got a left hand Leatherman crossdraw holster coming, too, so it'll match the right hand Leatherman crossdraw holster.

Ain't it amazing how much extra money a fellow can have when he gets too damn old to chase women?

Boolit Master
    That big aluminum mold it takes a bit for it to evenly heat to where it needs to be. You pour a bunch of weird looking ones, eventually it will start making all 18, for a while. Seems like after a good session, it will start pouring bad again. Set it aside use something else. I have the #4 and 00 molds, be nice if they made a 0 buck mold. The double .311 mold is painfully slow as 9 go in a 16ga.

I guess if you shoot alot of RB mold like that might be nice. But probably not 18 exact same 490s.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    That big aluminum mold it takes a bit for it to evenly heat to where it needs to be. You pour a bunch of weird looking ones, eventually it will start making all 18, for a while. Seems like after a good session, it will start pouring bad again. Set it aside use something else. I have the #4 and 00 molds, be nice if they made a 0 buck mold. The double .311 mold is painfully slow as 9 go in a 16ga.

I guess if you shoot alot of RB mold like that might be nice. But probably not 18 exact same 490s.
    The .490" mold is a 12 cavity, not 18 like the buckshot molds. I'm thinking maybe it will get hot enough and stay hot enough.

Banned

Junior - You must have a full auto .50 cal or else you are making grape shot for cannon! That is high production for a muzzle loader.

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Junior - You must have a full auto .50 cal or else you are making grape shot for cannon! That is high production for a muzzle loader.
    I agree. For one, I like new stuff. For two, I have two nephews, one is 8 years old. He goes through ammo like you-know-what through a goose. Plus I have a Lyman Great Plains 50 caliber RB barrel and two Lyman Plains pistols 50 caliber. I figure the 8-year-old will keep me busy with that 12-hole mold Until he gets old enough to cast, that is . . .

Banned

Good for you! Sounds like you will need to ramp up production and you have found a way to do so!

My MidSouth order arrived. The 12 cavity mold looks good. There isn't much metal beneath the botton row of ball-holes, so I'm thinking the mold might be easy to get hot. I'll know when I try it.

The Lyman PLains Pistol looks beautiful. I guess I'll call it simply #2. A quick look-see showed no imperfections, unlike #1 which has a chip out of the ramrod. I ordered Lyman white-dot muzzloader sights for #2, and they came with the order, but I may leave #2 as-is. The factory sights will probably work just fine if I use #2 as very-close range only, i.e., a finishing shot or if a deer walks almost within touch range of my thicket hiding spots, as they have on occasion. #1 with its white diamond rear and white dot front can be for longer shots. But if the factory sights are difficult to see in deep shade, on goes the white dot/diamond sights. There's enjoyable work ahead

Boolit Master
    a cheap hot plate turn it on high and set the mold on when you turn on the pot , this really cut down the number of bad ones i had with a 120gr pistol bullet 6 cavity mold

let us know how it works , I am casting for the 4H club with a 2 cavity .490 right now it is getting old and thinking a 6 cavity .490 is the way to go so I don't have to cut them apart

Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    a cheap hot plate turn it on high and set the mold on when you turn on the pot , this really cut down the number of bad ones i had with a 120gr pistol bullet 6 cavity mold

let us know how it works , I am casting for the 4H club with a 2 cavity .490 right now it is getting old and thinking a 6 cavity .490 is the way to go so I don't have to cut them apart
    This 12 cavity was ~ $35 at MidSouth. You can get a 6 cavity at TOW for ~$55.

Boolit Master
    the 6 cavity is in my cart at TOW waiting funds

how much of a pain is cutting them , can you tell any accuracy loss in the one with 2 spru when fired from a rifle ?

Tax lady called yesterday , taxes are done and I might even be able to afford a mold now when uncle Sam gives me back my money
    Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02-25-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    how much of a pain is cutting them , can you tell any accuracy loss in the one with 2 spru when fired from a rifle ?....
    I won't cast with it until I get low on the boxes of Hornady RBs in my stash. I can't see it being a problem, however. If it is, I'll hit the sprues on a grind stone/belt/wheel, etc.

Junior, that should be a great mold. It'll sure turn out a lot of balls. Hope it does good for you.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    I think I am going to support TOW and get the 6 cavity , so that I can turn out a lot of round balls and not have to touch them again , we have only been having about 5 shooters at a time for 4H muzzle loading they fire 60 scored plus practice so 80-90 or so rounds each , but upwards of 14 have signed up now , and a 1200 round balls is a lot to cast from a 2 cavity mold

Boolit Master
    I did it last night , tax money in , and right back out to TOW for a 6 cavity .490 and handles , should be here next week and I will get to pot emptying 170 some gr at a time x6 I would like to have a nice coffee can ready to go in a few weeks when the weather breaks that is going to be one heavy coffee can