Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Looking for a gunsmith in the East SF Bay Area to do a trigger for a rolling block.

Boolit Bub

Looking for a gunsmith in the East SF Bay Area to do a trigger for a rolling block.

I have a 45/70 Pedersoli rolling block, single trigger that I picked up a few years back when Cabelas was closing them out. The trigger is terrible, it must be 15+ pounds. The problem is I am living behind the pink curtain if the SF Bay Area. All the gunsmiths I used to know when I lived here before have fled the state and are living elsewhere in exile. Does anyone know of a smith in the East Bay that could do this sort of work. I will even go to Stockton or Modesto.

Thanks

In Remembrance
    Is there not one active gunsmith still in the phone book who you could call with your question?
    Is there not one gunshop there that buys and sells guns ... and therefore needs a gunsmith to service them?
    Have you tried even one search engine to find a page like this one?
    http://www.yellowpages.com/oakland-ca/guns-gunsmiths
    CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 02-17-2014 at 03:08 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Bub
    Gunsmiths are few and far between these days out here. Very few gun shops left. Most are very very profit driven, $100 is the going rate for a private party transfer which under state law must go through a FFL. I know of no shops left with an in house smith. Some may refer to unknown smiths but I want a referral based on real life positive experiences, not some financial relationship.

Boolit Buddy
    I am in Sacramento. I send my bolt gun work to GAP in Kansas-Send my gas gun work to Ted Brown in Oregon-Send my SS work to CPA in PA. You might check over on the SS forum as there are fellows that compete with SS in Modesto.

Boolit Grand Master

Contact Lee Shaver, He did a trigger for a friend on a pendersoli roller and its a very good trigger now. All you need to send is the trigger group not the whole rifle. Contact him and see what he says. Do a internet search he comes up on BPCR site

Boolit Master
    Lawnjockey, after some considerable effort, I came to the conclusion that I had to send stuff out. We used to have gunsmiths but I haven't found one lately. Lee Shaver cannot be beat, in my estimation. I don't know if Lon Paul has recovered from the fire (So. CA) but he is above reproach as well.

Boolit Master

I have done many trigger jobs on rolling blocks, trouble is I'm backed up about a year. Most of the other shops that I know of that do this kind of work are backed up also.

Boolit Buddy
    Much of the effort it takes to pull the trigger on a rolling block comes from the trigger spring. The standard old time fix is to replace the spring. A cheap and easy way to do this is to use a piece of spring wire bent in such a manner that a hole is made for the screw with the other end bearing on the trigger. Piano wire that is available at hardware stores and hobby shops is a good spring wire.

Boolit Master
    I have a rolling block I made up in .50-70 got a nice old oridginal remington action everything was good but the trigger pull. was looking for someone to do the trigger also. A friend told me just change the trigger return spring I did made a new spring from a piece of hack saw blade worked perfect pull went from 12lbs to 4 night and day.

Boolit Master

There is a real good gunsmith that has been in Sacramento for years, just can't remember his name, he is working out of Just Guns off of watt and 80.

I had the same problem with a 45-70 Pedersoli RB Deluxe also known as the Creedmoor #1. I found 2 gunsmiths who would do the job and it wouldn't void the warranty on the rifle. Using all the contacts given to me at BPCR shoots I found 2 gunsmiths who would do the job. They were the same. Actually only one does the work, the other sends everything to him. I found 1 gunsmith who would replace the trigger assembly with a double set trigger assembly for about what I paid for the rifle.

The problem is the temper on parts. I forget the term but the temper is surface only. If the gunsmith works through the temper he has to re-temper the part. Something most don't want to get involved with. Without the re-tempering the part wears out very quickly.
    I resolved the issue with a "Trigger Assist" from MidwayUSA. It's a lever that attaches to the trigger guard and significantly reduces the pull. I used it for several years in competition.

The ultimate solution was buying the 45-70 Pedersoli RB Creedmoor #2 that has the double set triggers.