Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest 458 caliber mold

Boolit Buddy

Biggest 458 caliber mold

My question is simple? Who makes the Biggest 458 mold out there? I have saw some 720 grain molds.. but I haven't saw where you can buy them? any idea? And who here has shot them and or hunted with them?

bhn22
    Accurate only goes up to 550 gr. You can design any bullet you like at Mountain Molds, I suppose you could literally fill the case with lead if you really want to, just make certain your barrel has a fast enough twist to stabilize it, and enough case capacity for powder to propel it. What caliber are you loading for? Having the bullet shank protrude below the case neck usually doesn't work out well, and there are nose length restrictions for rifle magazines. Once you get past those little details, you can get whatever you want.

Boolit Grand Master
    They aren't going to feed well in my Marlin so I don't want them.

I don't have a need for over 420 gr in a 45-70 so I don't even look at heavier than that.

A 720 gr bullet is a monster for a 45. Not sure what they are good for other than emptying a pot. Ingot moulds maybe?
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Buddy
    I am a gunsmith and I have a 458 Win Mag with a 1:12 twist. It is on a M-98 and I can alter that as well. I just want one because I can I guess. I would only shoot it from time to time. I think it sounds neat..

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    They aren't going to feed well in my Marlin so I don't want them.

I don't have a need for over 420 gr in a 45-70 so I don't even look at heavier than that.

A 720 gr bullet is a monster for a 45. Not sure what they are good for other than emptying a pot. Ingot moulds maybe?

yes you are correct they will be good for that. just think 10 of them and a pound is gone. I realize most people don't need them.. that is why I didn't word it that way. Most don't need a lot of things.. this is just something I was looking for. I will single load one that is for sure. and I may only make a few here and there..

Boolit Grand Master
    The recoil would become more than I want in a hurry. Even at 1200 fps it is gonna get your attention.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Custom Mold Manufacturer

Something like this?

http://www.castbulletengineering.com...-single-cavity

Regards,
    David.

Boolit Buddy
    ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cast Bullet Engineering View Post
    Something like this?

Regards,
    David.
    How much is that to ship it to America? and what is the lead time?

Custom Mold Manufacturer

Lead time is a few days to make the mould, shipping to the USA is $35-70 AUD, this is from the Australia Post website, for the "Pack and Track" option, it's the cheapest way we can get insurance and traceability on the package.
    Customers tell me it takes about 10-14 days to get to the USA from Australia.

David.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok one more question.. Does the Top Punch you sell for it work in the lyman 4500?

Boolit Buddy
    I guess it was 2 more questions? the $149 is that Australian or US? What would it be for the Mold/top punch/ and shipping?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moose0011 View Post
    I am a gunsmith and I have a 458 Win Mag with a 1:12 twist. It is on a M-98 and I can alter that as well. I just want one because I can I guess. I would only shoot it from time to time. I think it sounds neat..
    I know this is Cast Bullets, but I have some 600gr Barns that I sometimes shoot in my 450 Watts. I shoot a lot of big boomers with up to 510s with no problems, but that 600 at full pop, will flat kick your az.

So unless you load it down I expect you can expect something pretty interesting.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah I know what you mean.. I just want it for the fun of it from time to time.. I will probably shoot the 405's and 300's the most but from time to time O yeah bring out the big boy. I always have people brag how recoil doesn't bother them. well.. And I have some that have tried to tell me how bad there 270 kicks lol. honestly I don't think a heavy kicker is for most people. I don't plan on just blasting them over and over. I will share them. I like to plink mostly with my 17 hornet or my 22-250 ackley. I am also in the middle of a 6.5 that I designed. I have started ordering stuff for a 338 norma as well. However I started this 458 Win Mag about 3 or 4 years ago because I had a friend that was all about a big bore and I was all about the small bore. well I got him into small bores and I have been super excited about this big bore and I want to say I have the biggest you can go with this big bore. Just to say it.. I just like to shoot though it really doesn't matter.. you can give me targets at 1200 and a good rifle set up or you can give me a cheap little 22 pistol and pop cans or whatever else needs to be shot before recycled..

Also I didn't even realize that barnes made a 600 grain bullet in the 458

Perma-Banned

Yowsers, that is going to kick!

Banned
    Also I didn't even realize that barnes made a 600 grain bullet in the 458
    Ya, they are quite old. Can't remember just when I got them but could be as far back as late 70s or 80s. If you had to shoot a big one close, they would certainly do the trick.

I've had lots of .45 cals & bigger, 470 Nitro doubles, .460s etc. Got down to the plain .458s in Win Mag (bolts & double), Lott & Watts. You can basically almost duplicate the .460 with the Watts & the .458 double is as good as the .470. Plus you can shoot the WinMag in both the Lott & Watts.

Anyhow, I have come to really like a 400gr bullet in all of them. My double even likes them. It shoots 500s to POI at 50yds & the 400s about 1" high. It's easy to shoot & about 20% less recoil, flatter shooting etc.

Have fun.

Boolit Buddy
    that is the plan.. Fun.. Thats what it is all about right. As long as its safe and at no one elses expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Bullet Engineering View Post
    Something like this?

Regards,
    David.
    David, does that bullet have a hinge in the middle.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Custom Mold Manufacturer

I guess it was 2 more questions? the $149 is that Australian or US? What would it be for the Mold/top punch/ and shipping?
    Mould, Top Punch (suits RCBS and Lyman) and shipping is $204-70 AUD, about $184-50 USD.

Regards,
    David.

Custom Mold Manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    David, does that bullet have a hinge in the middle.
    Yep, it's a big sucker isn't it! Jim showed me some targets that another US shooter shot using this bullet out of a Ruger #1 in 458 Win Mag.
    Very impressive groups, and they stabilised without a problem.

DC