Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .38 Super/SAECO 383

Boolit Master
    (SOLD)

If anyone is interested, I am going to sell my two cavity since I now have a four...PM me if you are interested...

Bob
    Last edited by RJM52; 08-11-2020 at 02:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    Well, I bought the 2 cavity Saeco 383 from RJM52 back in August. It was too hot here to cast with it until now. I’ve got a few hundred, that I’m sizing .357 with carnauba blue. I know to seat it deep in 38 super cases. Does anyone have an OAL that works? Going to load a few with 6.0 grains of unique.

Boolit Master

Make dummies and function test in your gun.

Ours are NOT guarantied to work in yours.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

As of yet I have not loaded any of mine in super cases, but the max OAL of the super is listed as 1.280". That is probably with round nose boolits. With flat nose I would start about 1.260 and try them. If you look at RJM52's pics, that should give you an idea of about what they should look like.

Boolit Master
    Tanks Hardcast, that’s the helpful reply I needed.

Boolit Master
    I'll try to measure some shortly but as you can see from the pics it is only a couple of thousandths over the case mouth...

Boolit Master
    HARDCAST guessed pretty good...

Just measured 10 of them and the LOA ran from 1.261" to 1.264"...

With 6.0 of Unique velocity is 1240 but I failed to note if that was with a 5" or 4.25" barrel...pretty sure it is with the Commander...

Bob

(PS)...saw above in one of my posts that this velocity was from a 5" barrel...
    Last edited by RJM52; 10-20-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks much. That mold is awesome.

Boolit Master
    You are welcome and glad you are enjoying it...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast View Post
    I just posted this pic in the Group Buy Discussion sub forum, but I want to post it here too. It works great in my two 9mm guns. Have not tried it in 38 Super yet.
    Those look really great............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    ps...a cheap way to try this bullet is buy some...Montana Bullet now makes them...
    "CHEAP"?!? Really? SMH.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    ..well it's cheaper than buying the mold and finding out you don't like it...

Yea, he is very proud of his bullets...

Boolit Master
    Loaded up 10 rds with 6.0 grs of Unique. OAL - 1.264. I didn’t chronograph them, but recoil was stout. Fired brass showed no signs of abuse. I wish I had discovered this mold years ago. The best for Super.

Boolit Master
    ...so we have a 140 grain TC bullet traveling 150 fps more than the Buffalo Bore 147 grain OUTDOORSMAN load in 9mm...

Should be good for the next Cape Buffalo you run into....

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    ...so we have a 140 grain TC bullet traveling 150 fps more than the Buffalo Bore 147 grain OUTDOORSMAN load in 9mm...

Should be good for the next Cape Buffalo you run into....
    I've gotten mine to a bit over 1300 fps , and I am sure that there is room for more.

Boolit Buddy
    I have S&W 38 super custom shop 8 shot revolver. I have had a hard time getting it to shoot and load with the moon clips. Same with 9mm in the 627 8 shot I am finally winning lot of changes about match ready with both. Would like to try the 383 Saeco mould have not found one yet

Kirb

Boolit Master
    krib...I had the same gun...and it quite frankly didn't shoot very well at all...so bad I ended up selling it.

One of my friends just bought one and it didn't do too well either. He started using some bullets sized .357 or .358 and the groups tightened up...but still work to do...

You can order some of these bullets from Montana Bullet Company to try before you buy a mold and he can probably size the .357 for you...

Have you checked the size of the cylinder throats...mike some bullets and see what falls through and what stops....

I also heard that S&W ran bores .357 not .355 as they did on the 9mm 547 and 942.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Not being one who is prone to mess with perfection, I'm hesitant to bring this up, so excuse me if it's not well-received.
    The 6.0/Unique/160 SWC load delivers 1240 f/s from a full-sized 1911A1, which exceeds the threshold for "Major" by a bunch! Would a MODEST reduction in charge (say, 5% to 10%) not yield a more controllable and less punishing (to the firearm) load that is nonetheless satisfactory for competition?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    I had the throats done .356 to .355 opened to .358 barrels are .357. The 9mm cylinder walls are straight not the small taper of the 9mm. I am shooting 38 short Colts in the 9 working good. The super I just trimmed some 38 long Colts to proper length hope to shoot on wed. Depending on snow storm

Kirb

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    Not being one who is prone to mess with perfection, I'm hesitant to bring this up, so excuse me if it's not well-received.
    The 6.0/Unique/160 SWC load delivers 1240 f/s from a full-sized 1911A1, which exceeds the threshold for "Major" by a bunch! Would a MODEST reduction in charge (say, 5% to 10%) not yield a more controllable and less punishing (to the firearm) load that is nonetheless satisfactory for competition?
    ...simple question on this, and which is why I don't worry much about pressure in the 1911... The 9x23 Winchester runs a 125 grain bullet at 1450 fps...at 55K PSI... The 10mm will run 200 grain bullets at 1250 fps and 40K PSI... Why would I worry about a .38 Super running even less pressure...

The gun, when properly set up, can take these loads forever... In the beginning one had to make 180 Power Factor to be Major. I ran a 160 lead round nose at 1170 fps for a good 50K rounds while competing in IPSC in the 1980s and 90s...the gun was a 1969 Super .38 with a BarSto barrel...it's now on it's second barrel and still running great. Just as accurate as day one. A few years ago I found some of my leftover competition ammo and ran it in the gun. 7/9 went into a ragged hole at 50'...the other two were almost touching the main group.

Bob

ps...also the load we are talikng about is a 140 grain SAECO 383 with 6.0 grains of Unique not a 160....
    Last edited by RJM52; 10-27-2020 at 11:41 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12