Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEE 356-95-rf and Titewad in 9mm

LEE 356-95-rf and Titewad in 9mm

I just got the results this afternoon on the new Lee 95 grain boolit in my 9mm. The light bullethas the potential to really stretch a pound of lead. Approximately 20 extra bullets per pound over a 120 tc.
    Short story-my Taurus pt92afs loves it.
    I sized to .357 using Lee liquid alox for lube.
    I loaded some Titegroup at4.0 to 4.7 grains to work up a basic load and it worked well. Best grouping boollet I have used in my 9mm yet.
    The surprise powder was an unusual selection using some Titewad I recently purchased.
    Titewad is often purchased by mistake when looking for Titegroup. It is about the same speed as Red Dot so I thought to give it a try.
    I loaded 3.8 grains under the Lee bullet. Function was flawless and showed no signs of pressure in my pistol. Accuracy was exceptional. This is the first time I have been able to shoot under 2 and 1/2 inch groups with the 9 to date.
    My groups with this load were 1 and 1/4 inches at 10 yards. After adjusting for point of impact this load continued to shoot the center out of the target consistently.
    I tried my old loads to see if I was just having a good day and the groups were the old size I normally shoot.(2-1/2 to 3 inches).
    It seems the combination of a fast powder and a light bullet worked out again.
    Sorry I can't give a velocity as I don't currently have access to a chronograph.
    Disclaimer: the loads listed are for my pistol only and are not suggested to be safe in anyone else's pistol. Use at your own risk!
    PS: I tried it in my 357 also with light loads and it shot well. My mold drops them at .359
    Last edited by tazman; 02-15-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Sweet! I'm going to order that mold on payday. Titewad is a well kept secret in powders. It's the best I've ever used in .32 Auto and I bet it's a dandy in .380 and snub nose .38 Special also.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    Titewad works well in 32 S&W Long, 38 Special and .380 too. I haven't loaded any 32 ACP for a while, but I think it'll do well there. I have been particularly impressed with 2.4 grains under a 148 grain WC in 38 special.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Just ordered my mold. Can't wait!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I predict you will like it a lot.
    I think I will cast up about 500 more of them this afternoon. We have some really nasty weather here just now.

I've been working up some 120 gr 9mm with Titewad. 2.3 gr, 2.5 gr and 2.7 gr all cycled my cz without any problems. No pressure signs with these light loads. I was plinking 6" steel plates at 15 yds! Will get my chronograph out this weekend to check velocity. It works in my 1911 under 230 gr boolits too. No complaints with Titewad!

I used 3.4 of Titewad under a 120gr tc in my 9mm and got the best accuracy thus far with that boolit. Great function and no pressure signs in my pistol. I really wish I had access to a chronograph. I would love to know the velocity.
    When I was working up the 2.7 grain load would not function my 9mm. Oh well each pistol is a law to itself.

I'll post my results with those loads over my chronograph. The difference may be the bullet seating; 1.05 coal for that boolit in my cz.

Thanks for that. I am looking forward to getting some numbers.
    My coal is nearly identical to yours. Less than .o10 difference so the results should be similar as far as velocity.
    I haven't had any trouble with feeding, the 2.7 grain load would not work my slide.
    I have found that my pistol has a fairly large chamber and will feed bullets that are larger than average. This may also be part of the reason I need more powder.

Boolit Bub
    I'm interested in this bullet but can't find a reliable picture any place. Could you post a picture of this bullet? Did you get the 2 or 6 cavity mold?
    Thanks!
    KSCowboy

Quote Originally Posted by KSCowboy View Post
    I'm interested in this bullet but can't find a reliable picture any place. Could you post a picture of this bullet? Did you get the 2 or 6 cavity mold?
    Thanks!
    Here you go. I got a 6 cavity mold as it is for the 9mm.

Attachment 97124

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, I will get me one of those!
    KSCowboy

Tazman, ran those 120 gr tc boolits with 3.4 gr of Titewad over my chronograph. 971.5 fps average. Wasnt too impressed with accuracy @ 25 yds. The 2.7 gr load produced much better accuracy with an average 906 fps velocity. Looks like my titewad plinking load!

3.4 grains might be pushing it a bit with Titewad. I think it really shines in the small capacity, lower pressure cartridges such as .32 Auto.

Quote Originally Posted by revwitha9 View Post
    Tazman, ran those 120 gr tc boolits with 3.4 gr of Titewad over my chronograph. 971.5 fps average. Wasnt too impressed with accuracy @ 25 yds. The 2.7 gr load produced much better accuracy with an average 906 fps velocity. Looks like my titewad plinking load!
    Thanks for posting the velocity data.
    Doesn't seem to be much of a difference in speed for the difference in powder. I am given to understand that happens if you are approaching the max load for your pistol. Did you see any evidence of overpressure?

Glad you found a good economical load. Each pistol is a law unto itself. Mine is just different from yours is all. That is why we work up loads in our own guns.
    Mine seems to like higher velocities for accuracy and function with most loads. Now I really wish I had access to a chronograph.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    3.4 grains might be pushing it a bit with Titewad. I think it really shines in the small capacity, lower pressure cartridges such as .32 Auto.
    Ramshot competition is right next to titewad on the burn rate chart. AA lists 3.4-3.7 for their 124gr bullet loads using ramshot competition so 3.4 of titewad for a 120 shouldn't be an issue and it wasn't in my pistol.
    As I stated in a previous post, lighter loads would not even function my slide.

No real significant pressure signs as I could tell. But not really interested in pushing it any higher. The light load works for plinking. I may give it a go with 38 spl 105 swc.

With that cartridge I just keep it nice and light. All I look for is accuracy and I could care less about speed.
    38 special is my favorite practice boolit.
    By the way, the 95 grain LEE boolit works well in the 38 when appropriately sized. Even less recoil.

Guys using this boolit in the 9mm, what OAL are you loading to?

For the Lee 356-95-rf my oal is 1.010. I just ran 70 of theses through my Taurus pt92 yesterday with nary a malfunction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast