Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type of equipment do high production swagers use?

Vendor Sponsor

It says "Pro Form" on the side of it. I tried a google search but didn't come up with anything.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

This thread is going the direction I am interested in.

I have a few old punch presses that I have thought about converting over to swage. I have seen small ones like the last video go for as little as $250 on Craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    This thread is going the direction I am interested in.

I have a few old punch presses that I have thought about converting over to swage. I have seen small ones like the last video go for as little as $250 on Craigslist.
    I've also seen a few of Denison Multiswage presses on ebay with the indexing table but not worth importing into Australia.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronraad View Post
    Wouldn't take much to adapt something like this to make a swaged lead pistol bullet instead of just a swaged lead core. You'd just have to spec out the dies to suit a harder lead alloy than softer 99.99% lead wire.

Something like a Denison Multiswage with an indexing table maybe.
    Ok, I want to go on record. I am number one on the waiting list for the BT sniper multiswage! I am amazed all the more horsepower it is taking to run that machine.

Boolit Buddy
    The Achilles heal would be the cost of the lead wire. Is there a way to draw it without spending millions ?

Quote Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
    The Achilles heal would be the cost of the lead wire. Is there a way to draw it without spending millions ?
    Do mean with a modified log splitter (10t?), or a decent pair of hydraulic rams build around a frame, to accept a die block? I looked at hollow rams but none of them really have enough travel to put a 25lb/10kg cast lead slug.

New purpose built lead wire extrusion pressing cost a mint - Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78_1large.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	97494.

Geometrotec in the UK were also selling a used Kynoch core swaging/seating press but they weren't giving that away either.

Boolit Buddy

I'm bringing this back...

Frosted Boolits

Lots of good things in this thread!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Buddy

Exactly why I am keeping it fresh. I'm working on a couple of these projects and hopefully getting some help with some others.

Boolit Buddy
    A punch press probably would work fine for swaging. I have old loading books showing individuals making rifle bullets on one. The only issue is the tonnage required to perform all operations. Currently have several Perkins OBI 3/ton presses. Fully automated one for making gas checks works flawlessly for this application.

For swaging a lead core and other operations your probably going to need at least a 10-15/ton press. I seriously considered this but have zero space for a press in this size range. Presses in this size start to get quite heavy to move around.

The speed of a punch press would out perform a hydraulic press by quite a bit. I ended up making a fully automated 4/post hydraulic press using Corbin H-type dies. Fully satisfied with quality and speed, it's only a hobby.

The only thing I would add is that any press that is automated will obtain consistent end product results. When swaging cores on my hydraulic press there is almost zero deviation from the set weight. Speed and pressure are set and always the same for each cycle.

Setting up a punch press would be different. Press tonnage would be fixed. Setting stroke length or final die height would be the controlling factors.
    Punch presses are more dangerous because of the cycle speed. On the low end one second cycles are easily seen which is fast.
    Any type of automated equipment is very unforgiving if you happen to get your fingers in the way.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range

swage presses

i have been to numerous sales in the past where they sold small (up to 20 ton) presses for scrap, like 10.00 or less. the problem is if you want to pay some one to run them it costs a fortune to make them osha compliant. my friend bought a 12 ton with a stand like brand new for 12.50. he is playing around with it trying to make jackets with it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12