RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Remington moving to Huntsville, AL?

Boolit Master
    Remington and several other companies are owned by Cerebrus Holding Company. If they are moving from upstate New York, it has to do with taxes, unions and profits. This is the same group that nearly ruined Chrysler. Chrysler is now owned by the Italian Fiat. Others have taken notice of the profits from the shooting community and have bought in.
    It is going to be a bumpy ride for a while.
    Leadmelter
    MI

I'm sure that taxes and unions do play a part in all of this but so do the gun laws

Just like the civil war, one group says it was about slavery, and the other group said it was about taxes

Boolit Buddy
    If you look at the right side of one of the new Remington model 51s it says "Charlotte,NC"

Boolit Grand Master
    Does a hillbilly from Michigan qualify as a "bubba"?

Before I became a hillbilly, I was an "evil" corporate exec. So I may be able to shed some light.

First, most companies move because they get a better deal on taxes/energy/grants etc etc.
    Second, the line and office workers at the old place are screwed. Manufacturing is not rocket surgery. Plus the grants are tied to employing locals - not transplants. The key design engineers, manufacturing engineers, plant manager, sales/marketing people will be offered a move.

Now, for an opinion. When the SHTF, you can bet it will be rural vs cities. The cities are cesspools of humanity that have little in the way of a self-sufficiency mindset, and 100's of thousands of people in large cities dependent on the government for nearly every aspect of their safety and sustenance. Cities will become "killing fields". Which may be a good thing. A "thinning of the herd" will address many issues.

And the exodus from the cities will not be welcomed in bubba-land.

Just me $.02.

Don Verna

Boolit Master
    It always about the dollar and control!
    Quote Originally Posted by .429 View Post
    Just like the civil war, one group says it was about slavery, and the other group said it was about taxes

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

Before I became a hillbilly, I was an "evil" corporate exec. So I may be able to shed some light.

First, most companies move because they get a better deal on taxes/energy/grants etc etc.
    Second, the line and office workers at the old place are screwed. Manufacturing is not rocket surgery. Plus the grants are tied to employing locals - not transplants. The key design engineers, manufacturing engineers, plant manager, sales/marketing people will be offered a move.

Now, for an opinion. When the SHTF, you can bet it will be rural vs cities. The cities are cesspools of humanity that have little in the way of a self-sufficiency mindset, and 100's of thousands of people in large cities dependent on the government for nearly every aspect of their safety and sustenance. Cities will become "killing fields". Which may be a good thing. A "thinning of the herd" will address many issues.

Just me $.02.

Don Verna
    Damn! I kinda like this guy...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Leadmelter View Post
    Remington and several other companies are owned by Cerebrus Holding Company. If they are moving from upstate New York, it has to do with taxes, unions and profits. This is the same group that nearly ruined Chrysler. Chrysler is now owned by the Italian Fiat. Others have taken notice of the profits from the shooting community and have bought in.
    It is going to be a bumpy ride for a while.
    Leadmelter
    MI
    It was Daimler Benz that ruined Chrysler. I know, because I was there.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Red View Post
    Wow, that escalated quickly, from Remington moving to gay marriage and the Founding Fathers. All in four pages.
    dont forget the union bashing,,that always comes up as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    While I understand all this is happening, sometimes I have to ask.... When do we stand and fight? This liberalism, anti-2A sentiment will only keep spreading. Look at what happened in Colorado and other surprising places. It will only be a matter of time before they start hitting other states. We can either keep running only to help in the spread of this disease or we can stand and fight. The choice is ours.
    (Had to get that out of my system.)
    We are fighting but we are not winning. Are you proposing a new tactic (it is fashionable to be tactical). We voice our opinion to lawmakers, we vote, we support gun rights groups, we make public displays of firearms, we teach kids to shoot safely. Is there someplace we need to stand that we are not, some type of fight we are not fighting. I don't shooting someone would make things better.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

Just me $.02.

Don Verna
    I was a Hillbilly (Woodchuck for those familiar with that nickname) before I became a corporate exec. I grew up in the hills in Maine, worked on three different farms. I think your portrayal of cities a cesspools is inaccurate. There aren't many rural hospitals that can treat serious illness or injury (cancer, severed limbs, etc.) or rural airports that can provide international travel, millions of freedom loving conservatives live in cities.

How big a spread do I need to have outside the city so I can be welcome in "bubba land", you think? Too late for me, will I get the same cold shoulder (southern hospitality) I got when I moved south. Nice enough to your face but I would not call it welcoming. I have move around a lot and lost my accent so they don't know better anymore.

I find some people still have prejudice against people from New England and against people who have lived in cities. I was born in Springfield, Mass. and I have to put that on that form you fill out when you buy a gun from an FFL. Almost always get a remark down here. I live in Slidell, most country folk would call it a city but it really is just a big town. None of the big cities problems of say New Orleans where I used to work.

I know that a lot of you would say you would be happy without the big cities, and maybe that would be true for those of you on this forum but rural America for the most part would not be happy without the cities they hate. We are not all dependent on the government and a lot of us are as self-sufficient as your typical rural resident.

Just about everyone in Rural America is on the dole, it just isn't as well known. Crop subsidies, federal crop insurance, rural electrification subsidies, subsidies for rural internet, federal education subsidies, alcohol requirements for gasoline. Rural America lives on the backs of the cities, you could not make a living growing crops or cutting lumber for yourselves you need the consumers in the cities to buy your goods so you can make a living.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dawg View Post
    42 gallons in a barrel of oil. $98 a barrel equals $2.333 a gallon for crude. That is before delivery costs, before business taxes, before refining costs, before distribution costs to dealers, before dealer's mark up, before federal and state fuel taxes (40.7 cents a gallon in PA, one of the highest) and some people believe gas should be selling for $2.25. How can they not be embarrassed? I am. It is ignorant absurd comments like those that have convinced much of the world that we Americans are a lot of ignorant fools, bubbas to the max.

The facts are that in constant dollars the price of gasoline has not increased in 80 years. All the increase is due to general inflation and devaluation of the dollar.

Do you think they pay $98.00 ?

Like cattle always always lower at auction.

I never heard of one person I talk to in oil. Person selling the natural gas or oil. For even close to market. Normal was 20-30 % less.

If numbers are right when oil was 143-147 , gas should have been around $4.75.

Not too long ago the market did post gasoline per gallon. Have not seen it for some months, they stopped showing it. Last time I checked there was around .75 added to price of gasoline for tax, shipping and handling. If your right where is the 3.05 gasoline.

2.25 maybe not but 2.58 . Still about $1.00 too high.

How did all the oil company's make record profits not too many years ago ??

When I look at total value of , BP, OXY , EXO, CVX, COP, SUN. None of them were worth more than 30-40 billion. To have EXO return a profit of 26 billion in one quarter , where did that come from? Your and my and everyone else's pockets. Don't fall for all there line of bull. They are the ones that did a huge amount of profit. Did not pass it on to even there stock holders, past around the upper management??

Oops...wrong link

Boolit Buddy
    Ever heard of NASA. Red Stone Arsenal is at Huntsville. About a 1 1/2 hours north of Birmingham. Not much further than that from Nashville and Chattanooga. Remington already has a stuff in NC. Welcome to the South.

Banned

There is a article on 6mmbr and it says that they are still going to stay in NY. The ammo plant is staying in Arkansas. Some of the gun production is going to the new plant.

Banned

I drove by the plant in Arkansas about 2 years ago. There was about 10 cars at the plant. This was on a Wed. You would think that they would have more people there than that.

They didn't win, trust me... They just think "Denial" is a river in Egypt........

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Yankees 1, Confederates 0, Half-time.

Boolit Buddy
    I thought this thread had something to do with Remington.