Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using Unbuntu Linix OS?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    One thing to consider, if you have the original Windows install CD, is to back up you're pictures and bookmarks. Then format the hard drive and reinstall Windows. I know a few people who do that about every 30 days. Also, a few that do it once a year or bi-annually. I don't do it because of the software I'd have to reinstall.
    Hi,
    Yes that's my point! You pick up so much junk that's probably what you need to do! I'm going to see if I can bear the learning curve and just be done with Mr. Gates! I don't use that many programs anyway. Thanks for the info!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Linux is a clone of unix. Most IT people don't know how to run a linux network and many users want admin privileges. Admittedly, linux biggest problem is the video system - windoze video is integrated into the OS. Linux is free software that distros bundle with an installer/chooser (lilo). Drivers & apps are written & modified by hackers, and some hacks interfere with others. Always use Linux approved (released/tested/proven stable) SW. Linus will allow you to install junk. The DVD/USB method is very difficult to hack the OS, malware will be in ram or HD and can be scrubbed easily (non-persistant).
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Always use Linux approved (released/tested/proven stable) SW. Linus will allow you to install junk...
    The default installation download of every Linux distro I've ever installed has been clearly marked as 'stable'. Yes, the unstable and experimental packages are available if you should so choose, but they aren't going to just sneak into your new installation somehow. There is no central authority who determines just what 'stable' means. It's all relative. Since we are discussing Ubuntu in particular, the stable Ubuntu distro is comprised of the 'experimental' (newest) versions of the Debian distro. According to Ubuntu advocates, this is because the Debian crowd is a bunch of paranoid sissies. According to Debian fans, those Ubuntu kids need to learn a thing or two about what stable means.

what is really best boils down to a Smith vs. Ruger, Ford vs. Chevy, Lyman vs. RCBS, X vs. Y type argument.

As to Linux allowing you to install junk... Linux is based on the assumption that you know what you are doing. For good or bad, it will not question nor hesitate to do exactly what you tell it to. You will never see an "Are you sure? Y/[N]" dialog.

Boolit Master

I am currently working on installing Linux Mint on my desktop. Things are going slowly, but then, an installation of Windows is slow as well. After installing from the DVD, it is updating all of the files. I will report any major difficulties. The desktop originally ran WinXP with 4GB of ram.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    I am currently working on installing Linux Mint on my desktop. Things are going slowly, but then, an installation of Windows is slow as well. After installing from the DVD, it is updating all of the files. I will report any major difficulties. The desktop originally ran WinXP with 4GB of ram.
    Hi Jim,
    Thanks! I will be looking for updates on this,and your opinion as you start running it! I can't try Ubuntu till I get home as the service I have here at work (aboard ship) is to slow to download it correctly. I will probably just wipe out Windows as I am so tired of the aggravation and just load Ubuntu 12.04 and run with it awhile!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi Jim, I will probably just wipe out Windows as I am so tired of the aggravation and just load Ubuntu 12.04 and run with it awhile!
    This what I did for the same reasons you mentioned. As I said in an earlier post I have not looked back. I can find just about everything I need in linux os except for voice to speech. It seems the present apps are not that good but it looks like programers are working on it.

Boolit Bub
    I abandoned windoze about 5 years ago and never looked back. I initially used Ubuntu but after they adopted Apple-like window controls I switched to Mint-xfce, where I remain.

Boolit Master

Linux Mint didn't work for me. It kept hanging up on a black screen and I would have to reboot to get it to do anything. I am currently installing Knoppix to see of that will work. The computer is about 12 years old, so I may have to use one of the versions designed to run on equipment that doesn't have the latest and greatest bells and whistles.

I've downloaded five different flavors of Linux to try. Some of the iso's will fit on a CD and some require a DVD. I'll have to see if one will work where the others didn't.

Some hardware info to go with what I am trying. I disconnected the 80GB HD that has WinXP installed on it and put the 40GB HD that came with the computer back in. I am doing a full install to that HD with each version of Linux that I am trying.

Fortunately, I also have a laptop running Win7 that I can use while my desktop computer is doing other things.
    Last edited by SciFiJim; 02-18-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Grand Master
    Like Bill, I have used MSE for years and have been very pleased, but I recently bought a new laptop that runs Windows 8, and MSE doesn't work with it. Why would Microsoft develop a new OS that doesn't use it's own virus protection?

I've played around with various open source OS's including Ubuntu, Puppy Linux, Mint, Peppermint, etc. My old laptop (which was replaced by the one previously mentioned) is about 8 years old and operates on XP. It still functions fine, but with XP support going away in April, I'm going to install one of the Ubuntu versions to keep it alive. I have 5 OS's installed to boot from USB already, so it won't take long to pick one.

Wireless drivers can be challenging with older laptops and Linux distros.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    Try Lubuntu for your older XP boxes and laptops. I run it on a little netbook with an Edubuntu interface for my daughter to play and learn on. I have several versions of Linux running in VM's on my Win7 notebook and even a couple other flavors on some RPi's.

If you have really old wireless adaptors, picking up about any $10-$20 USB adaptor will get you hooked right up.

I've been running some flavor of Debian since I got my first Win95 box. It's always been a stable base to start from.

jim

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Thanks Mike, looking at Ubuntu 12.04 myself! If you try "Wine" soon let us know what you think!!!

I have been running a dual boot system. Win7 and Ubuntu 12.03. I just upgraded to the newer Ubunt and it is working fine. The only problem I have is printing. I need to invest a bit of time one day to figure out the problem. Like bill I don't want to have to learn very much about programming as there are so many other things for me to do.

I have run a couple different Linux OS and have had good results. Some of the people involved in the project are very sharp and very dedicated to a good end product!
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Look for what is called a "Linux Live" version. Live version is one that can load from USB or CD/DVD that will give you a chance to find any driver issues or incompatibility problems with the basic hardware and OS before picking that version to install. There are several distros specifically for older computers and laptops that use minimum resources and lighter graphic interface. While still being up-to-date on security patches for the OS.

Booting from a live cd and then copying all your personal files to an external drive is a good way to avoid copying virus etc. to the backup if virus has infected your windows OS, then use Windows Defender Offline boot disk to scan your backup.

For email, web surfing, video watching, and digital pictures Linux can be a much better choice for older hardware. Editing digital pictures GIMP is sure not Photoshop but for most digital pictures one does not really need the weight and power of Photoshop. I find support for *nix applicatons to be somewhat on par with windows, possibly a bit more geeky as in edit this config and launch with these parameters as opposed to click this menu and this tab, then check this box.

You might also have someone with a not infected computer download the Windows Defender Offline, essentially a boot disk with anti-virus and anti-malware that runs from the boot CD. This prevents things that have infected your hard disk from using the installed windows to protect themselves. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...fender-offline

If you installed tool bars.... well man that can be painful. You have my sympathy, about half the time I find that ends in backup of personal data and do fresh install of Windows or another OS

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    "Or another OS" yea I heard that! Thanks for the info! I'm still wanting to hear from anyone running a Linux system and their thoughts! Thanks!

Boolit Master
    I've been playing around with Linux Mint and Ubuntu 12.04 for a few weeks now. My observations from a somewhat linux newb is that Linux mint has more of the multi meida things working out of the box than Ubuntu. Ubuntu seems to be a bit easier to get things working that aren't out of the box. I also prefer the UI of Ubuntu but that of course is just a personal preference.

So far I've got everything set up so that movies play, Amazon streaming works, my networked printer works, and my shared folders on my home file server are automatically mounted at boot. I've also installed rdesktop and got it configured so I can run my file server remotely from my desktop just like in Windows. The only thing I really need windows for now is Outlook for my work email and for gaming.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Thanks Jailer,I think I'm going with Ubuntu 12.04 to get my feet wet! There's getting to be to much drama with Windows! I guess it will work all the picture files and converted movies. Work the WEB and I'll be good!

Boolit Mold

I have 5 computers and 4 use ubuntu 12.04 exclusively. If Netflix ever allows linux my htpc will be ubuntu as well. I abandoned Windows in 2008. I got tired of the cost of Windows x number-of-machines, and tired of antivirus software consuming so much of the machine, always updating, and getting viruses anyway. Linux has dna-level immunity to these viruses. Win7 consumes ~50GB of disk space, compared to ubuntu consuming ~7GB. I consider ubuntu to be superior to Win7, I actually prefer using ubuntu, and don't enjoy having to use Win7.

I suggest you try ubuntu 12.04, which is their long term support version. Their LTS versions come out in April of even-numbered years, next should be 14.04. When the time comes you can update to 14.04 from inside 12.04, but I'd wait a couple of months after April before doing that to give them time to get the kinks out. The in-between versions are more experimental.

Two areas to check out immediately are wifi and video, this is where driver issues can impact you the most. That your laptop is old, and an HP, works to your favor. If wifi doesn't work off the live-cd or live-usb that just means the right driver is not part of the cd. But it is likely you can install a working driver. Wired ethernet is native to linux and always works. If you just can't resolve the wifi driver, then get a usb wifi as someone else here suggested... and I suggest edimax. Intel and Nvidia are very supportive of linux, and AMD is coming around. If you get wifi and graphics to work you are home free.

HP printers work well with linux. HP is very supportive of linux.

LibreOffice does practically everything Microsoft Office does.

On ubuntu 12.04 you might encounter difficulty with the unity interface, as it's graphic-processor intense. It has two great features, multiple desktops and window picker (under scale). There will be add-ons you will want to install, like compizconfig settings manager to get control over things and ClassicMenu Indicator to find things. You can also install other desktop managers into ubuntu, like lubuntu desktop if you need to go lightweight for your graphics processor. You then simply choose ubuntu-desktop or lubuntu-desktop at login.

If you hard drive is big enough and you partition it right (use gparted on the ubuntu live-cd), you can dual boot Windows and ubuntu. The ubuntu installer is not hostile toward Windows, and will see it and set it up as a boot option. The reverse is not true, if you you install Windows onto a machine that already has linux the Windows installer will disable linux. Wonderful folks at Microsoft.

I suggest you just commit to installing ubuntu into its own partition, rather than investing much time in playing with the live-cd or live-usb. Then work on getting video and wifi working. You will make incremental progress as you learn how to add things, accumulating results along the way.

Good luck. Be patient, there will be solutions to nearly all problems.

Boolit Master

I've used Ubuntu or a derivitive for at least 6 years and played with several distros for several years before that. I am typing this on a Kubuntu machine and have been using this machine for at least 4 years. My wife has used Ubuntu for her machine for at least 8 years. She primarily uses it for email and browsing with a bit of word processing. She will NOT use MS Windows for her machine. She has had way fewer problems with crashes and software issues since switching over to Linux.

I started with Ubuntu more or less exclusively about 6 years ago and switched over to Kubuntu maybe 3 years ago. IMHO, ......one may find the KDE desktop more appropriate for his own uses. I like it better than Gnome, but that is me. I suggest anyone wanting to try/use a Ubuntu or deriviative OS go for a LTS version to work with. Since Ubuntu and its deriviatives have become one of the foremost operating systems, I would suggest one try it first and when one gets more comfortable with Linux, then try some of the other systems out there. I have had far fewer issues with machines that are dedicated to Linux than I have had with dual boot MS Windows/ Linux machines. It seems to me the dual boot machine have problems because of the MS operating systems messing up the Linux system. There is a rather new distro that is a modified Ubuntu system called Zorin. I have it on a machine and it seems to be working very well, but I haven't used it as extensively as I have Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

Give it a wirl with a secondary machine if possible...that machine may well become a primary machine quickly.

On Wine........It has gotten better, but still has issues. I have tried several time to get QuickLoad to run on it with no success. I have tried to get some Window games to run thru Wine with very limited success. YMMV.

Edd
    Last edited by badgeredd; 02-25-2014 at 08:50 AM. Reason: typo
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

I also suggest trying some live linux CDs, to see which you like, and which works with your hardware. You might find that a live CD is all you need. Some allow customizations to be saved to a usb stick.

try puppy linux, damn small linux, and pclinuxos. and a live ubuntu CD

http://distrowatch.com

backup *everything* important before messing with the machine.
    got mold?

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Well,I managed to download Ubuntu 12.04 and have my computer as a dual boot but I tell you I'm liking this Linux and my wi-fi set up was a snap! I downloaded the movie plug in another easy task and all my movies play no problem. So far I am VERY impressed and having fun!

I'm thankful for all the help and will probably have more questions down the line. I admit I like using something that is free and being involved with a system where people help each other out!!! I have a feeling Mr. Gates will be history soon!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast