Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .36 cal for 300 yards?

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    I almost went with a smokeless capable on a .35 whelen platform. It would have matched its centerfire counterpart in ballistics. but since im in a smoke only state, I went with a true .36. (I want it for varminting)

Boolit Man
    In Wisconsin you have to have a minimum of 40 cal riled for deer hunting. Check your state law
    "Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading." Thomas Jefferson

Mine are set up with sights for hunting rather than target practice (so far).
    .401" bore x 16" twist x 32".
    .458" bore x 24" twist x 26".
    To get the weight needed for accuracy down range, velocity is sacrificed. Less than high end loads will probably shoot the most accurately. This type of curve is what I'm used to seeing with a sweet spot before the up turn.

Better to have a piece set up so that you don't have to floor board to get where you want to go. But hey, that's my experiences not somebody elses.

Banned
    Nice! thanks, I ordered a barrel 7/8 straight .360 1-14 ~.005 depth. 28" length. I plan on using an Allen inline action. (similar to a White/Knight plunger style) I have my eye on a magneto speed Chrono. Im hoping to have by the time the build is completed. Ill probably start with an MMP sabot and shoot .311 in 85-100 grn first, Then see how a PP or even GG land riders work. If I can get anything good, Id like the gun for coyote/fox/groundhog. Most guys have said about the same.. Too hot wont work either. I was almost figuring on 12-1500 speed. It will be a few months yet to get the barrel and action. Then Im hoping to find a close factory stock to repurpose with any luck. I thought worse case scenario I could even use plastic with some bedding/fiberglass. etc and spray it with bedliner for a start.

Perm-Banned
    good action to work with. that wont be a hard gun to put together . mmp sabots are good sabots. you would find the single wrap paperpatch very very easy to load and it would drive tacks. you could push those sabots a little faster than a cast or paperpatched bullet. any way you shoot it it will be a shooter. keep us posted.

Boolit Grand Master

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Ned Roberts The Caplock Muzzleloading Rifle! "Preengraving" a bullet is not new, that is what a false muzzle does.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Perm-Banned
    who said it was new? read the book also as well as the ones about pope.

Banned
    I thought about getting a barrel drop. But I want a lighter barrel on this. I have a few for larger calibers, I was figuring on sizing/knurling at best here. Most of my drops are not even used. I went with fullform dies from swinglock, and hankins. I have guns that will outshoot my abilities with out of the box jacketed factories unsized, so not even going to try with a 7/8 barrel .36

Vendor Sponsor

As others have said, shooting for fun to 300yd would make an interesting day, but hunting at that distance? With either one of those calibers? No way..

There is this very small group of people who will post here from time to time that seems to be of a mindset of wanting to take deer with what any prudent hunter would consider a LOT less than ethical cartridge/caliber/load, just to say they did it. Regardless of how many deer they wound and then let get away in this effort.

I took an old doe once with a .45 Colt revolver. In dressing this old girl out, I found 3 different sized pieces of buckshot and a broadhead. Why do people take these kind of shots if they can't go into the woods with an adequate load for taking the animal they are hunting? JS...
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    RE: Why.....? I would guess that there are several possibilities;
    A) They don't have anything better suited and Need The Meat.
    B) They Are like some Fishermen who 'Crow' about landing a 'Trophy Size Fish in 4lb Fly line.
    C) They "Don't Give a S***" about Ethics, possibly also about Morals Either.
    D) They Were "Drunk, or Under The Influence" at the Time and could not track the wounded animal.
    E) They have never learned of a better way.
    F) Any Combination of the above.

It is "A sad commentary on The Human Animal" that such Game Injuring "Hunters" still exist and still get out to do such damage. But I DO NOT Advocate more Laws nor Regulations as such would not stop these types of persons, But would only restrict Law Abiding Citizens instead.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 01-13-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Banned
    Haha, nothing like muzzleloader to start a nice heated debate. and lots of responses aimed at differing interpretations of a non existing statement.

Boolit Master
    Don't own a .36 with a fast enough twist to shoot a conical that far. Who makes such an animal? Would be fun I'll bet.

On the 300 yd. shooting with a round ball I can't say. I once tried repeatedly to hit a gong the size of a garbage can lid at 350 yds. with a .50 GM barrel and 70 gr. 3f. I could put 5 shots into 3"-4" groups at 100 yds. on a regular basis. At 350 yds. the ball appeared to become unstable as no amount of aim correction could make that ball hit anywhere near that gong. I would suspect a .36 round ball would be worse?

Someone ought to try and see with a conical I guess.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I don't like to shoot deer past 200 yards with a cartridge rifle. I sure wouldn't do it with a muzzleloader.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    Don't own a .36 with a fast enough twist to shoot a conical that far. Who makes such an animal? Would be fun I'll bet.
    The original Knight Rifle Co. made a special edition LK-93 "Wolverine" inline in .36 caliber with a 1 in 24" twist Green Mountain barrel.
    Many folks shoot it with MMP .36 sabots that are made for .32 bullets, but it can also shoot round balls fairly well.
    However I don't know how well it can shoot bore size conicals.

One seller said that he was able to shoot cloverleaf groups at 50 yards with 85 grain XTP bullets and sabots.
    So I ended up buying it from him [w/o the scope & bipod].

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F5C263A78C4A4ABF9995B78C6DA34228.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	234521

Here's 2 threads about it, #2 also has more photos:

1. https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/t...-2#post-266398

2. https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/t...5/#post-256913
    Last edited by arcticap; 01-22-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seekersoftheredmist View Post
    Just a quick question: how many of yall commenting actually shoot "long range" Muzzle loaders? 200 yards and beyond? out here we dont consider "long range" until you get past 600 yards. Just wondering. many of the replies have said NO to shooting past 75 yards! that made me laugh. also the bullet i was going to use would be a paper patched variety.if a gun will shoot moa or less at 75-100 then it should be able to hit a 14" plate at 300 yards. the muzzle velocity should be comparable to a 38-55 and its a proven mid range (600 easily and in) round. Please list your experiences to help prove your opinion with some technical data too ( for example: grains of powder, weight of projectile, length of barrel, sight system , ect) thanks fellers!!!
    You said kentucky style long gun and you nominated 32 or 36 calibre - thats a round ball squirrel gun - then you think you gonna kill a deer at 300 yards ?????

could have a lot of fun plinking little stuff (squirrel, rabbit, turkey) from 25 to 50 yards with a small calibre round ball gun

a 32 or 36 slug gun ran hard might do the job at 100yards but its not a kentucky style ---needs to do some more reading here .....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seekersoftheredmist View Post
    Just a quick question: how many of yall commenting actually shoot "long range" Muzzle loaders? 200 yards and beyond? out here we dont consider "long range" until you get past 600 yards. Just wondering. many of the replies have said NO to shooting past 75 yards! that made me laugh. also the bullet i was going to use would be a paper patched variety.if a gun will shoot moa or less at 75-100 then it should be able to hit a 14" plate at 300 yards. the muzzle velocity should be comparable to a 38-55 and its a proven mid range (600 easily and in) round. Please list your experiences to help prove your opinion with some technical data too ( for example: grains of powder, weight of projectile, length of barrel, sight system , ect) thanks fellers!!!
    You said kentucky style long gun and you nominated 32 or 36 calibre - thats a round ball squirrel gun - then you think you gonna kill a deer at 300 yards ?????

could have a lot of fun plinking little stuff (squirrel, rabbit, turkey) from 25 to 50 yards with a small calibre round ball gun

a 32 or 36 slug gun ran hard might do the job at 100yards but its not a kentucky style ---needs to do some more reading here .....

Boolit Master
    Note that this is an old thread. The OP has long since made his decision. Would be interesting if he had results.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123