Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
PBcastco Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whatto do with 1452 lbs of battery lead?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Ya mean like the Clinton Campaign?..
    Hi

Give Hillary a call ....

Bob

Boolit Mold
    my local interstate battery story buys old batteries for $4 and up. might give that a try

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by VillageIdjit View Post
    Even seven year old Trojans still have some use left in them for someone unable to afford a new bank (pun intended) or for someone just getting starting and wanting to experiment.
    Vic
    Seven year old Trojans?!?! You need some new pickup lines...

Boolit Bub
    Talked to a scrap guy the other day who said he was getting $8 each for old car batteries. I know that means they probably offer the average Joe $3 for them, but its something to maybe keep in mind if working a trade.

I noticed that a couple of years ago if you didn't have an old battery to trade for the new one they charged you an extra $5. I always understood it to be some sort of disposal fee (though if you don't give them the battery i don't know what there is to dispose of) Anyway lately they have not charged that fee so I suspect they have gone from having to pay to dispose of them to being paid.

Boolit Mold
    Whatever amount of lead is in old battries is worth much more than a few ago, so this might explain why some aren't charging the disposal fee.
    If Wal-Mart has stoped charging I would be suprised, although I think theirs was called a core charge. Here in Alabama we do not have an environmental tax but Wal-Mart charges one anyway, on any and all petrolum products! I've always wondered who got that money?lol

Boolit Buddy
    So what about marine batteries?

I have four or five deep-cycle marine batteries in my boat hangar. Bass Pro doesn't charge an exchange/core fee for them, and half the time I now forget to bring the old batteries in when I buy new ones.

Anything different about the deep cycling batteries? I know dealing with regular auto batteries can be dangerous and a complete waste of time.

Thanks.

Jeff

Learn how to bench press that 1425 pounds of lead and you could probably win gold in the olympics,silver for sure.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    I spent 25 years at Sears in the automotive dept. We were giving $5.00 for the trade in battery. Dont ever remember getting that back when the mfgr picked up the junks.I do remember that a Co came by every mo and pumped our used oil tank and gave us a check for the used oil. I think this HASMAT thing is just another way to get $ from us. Yes the old battery was taken apart, the acid and the lead were both recycled. As Carpetman said start pressing that 1542# for the 2016 Half Olympics in Chicago. No I do not think you will even WIN a Bronze medal as some politicians kid will probably take the top 3 places herself. Only in Chicago. BWB

Banned

Well hold on to your gunbelts...

I've got a whole new twist to this thread. I'm keeping the batteries, and the reason why is I found some folks that are truly bringing them back into service at various levels by using a magic chemical ingredient.

Many so called magic battery fixes have been around for decades, and most all are snake oil, till one day a guy found that the common food additive EDTA, chelates sulfides.

They were able to take an old worn out- abused L16, dump and flush the electrolyte and replace it with common over the counter EDTA powder and put the L16's back in service!

Some folks are getting good results without even changing out the batt fluid and adding it directly to the cells. It works like Drano. These are everyday folks like you and I, and are not selling a darn thang!

Not that there's anything wrong with selling a good product... . . . .

Boolit Master

To neutralize the acid use TSP, you can get it at the local hardware stores. I thought of tearing down batteries over the years, but now I live on afarm and don't want to contaminate the soil.

I have a back stop for shooting my lead boolits in to and when I get enough boolits in the back stop, I will burn it down and recover the lead. Then build a new backstop. Mine is scrap hard woods, fallen trees with some drilling pipe as a brace.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Smile

What EDTA chelates is lead ions. Don't know exactly what it'd do that's beneficial to a battery. It's what they give you to treat lead poisoning.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by miestro_jerry View Post
    To neutralize the acid use TSP, you can get it at the local hardware stores. Jerry
    The last thing you want to do to a battery is neutralize the acid!

I'm talking about RESTORING batteries here and putting them back into service.

If anyone would like more info on he subject, let me know.

Battery recycling

Quote Originally Posted by Ghugly View Post
    I was talking to the owner of the scrap yard in Tulare, CA last week. He said that he had sold all of his scrap lead to a guy for fifty cents a pound (two 55 gal drums full). And he said the same guy also took all of his batteries at a great price (no idea what a "great price" is but, judging from the grin on his face, it was more than he'd hoped for). So, I'd say that your batteries have value. I've no idea how much and to who.
    I work for an auto parts house and typically $5.00 a battery is what their battery supplier offers for batteries whose guts and cases are recycled

yodar

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Sounds like a good deal for Wally World etc. Now that we are used to HAZMAT they charge us a HAZMAT fee to get rid of that nasty lead and have the mfgrs standing in line to PAY them for the SILVER STREAM. How sweet it is NOT.BWB

Banned

At a cost of $320 EACH new, the value is putting them back into service.

Boolit Master

There used to be a battery rejuvinator called VX-6 that was sold in nearly every gas station. I used it once on a battery with a dead cell and brought it back to good as new. Haven't seen it anywhere in years. I think JC Whitney may have something similar. Just bought a battery at Walmart a few days ago. Core charge was $9.00.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, smelting them down yourself is a bad idea -- for many various reasons...

Amongst others....

1. Lead gets super spongy from charge/discharge cycles.
    2. Lead oxide smelts back down into lead at 2400F.
    3. Hot acid is super corrosive
    4. Battery plastic turns super gooey and smokey
    5. AND MOST IMPORTANT -- Battery plate lead + WW (Antimonial lead) = toxic gases.

Thanks

John

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    The last thing you want to do to a battery is neutralize the acid!

I'm talking about RESTORING batteries here and putting them back into service.

If anyone would like more info on he subject, let me know.

Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

PatMarlin,
    Do you have an update for us?
    Thank You
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast