Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whatto do with 1452 lbs of battery lead?

Quote Originally Posted by bobthewelder View Post
    Cast them into giant boobies. They will come, and you can charge admission!
    Cast used Trojans into giant boobies? What the hell kind of thread is this?

Boolit Master

For what its worth, I just saw a science show on commercial recycling of car batteries. After crushing the batteries to separate the plastic and acid from the plates, they did several chemical processing steps to get a lead paste that they scraped off big filters before smelting. All in all, it was way beyond even the most ambitious backyard smelter here. End result was pallets of maybe 50 lb ingots, a couple of dozen ingots per pallet. I think the pallets then went directly to the battery manufacturer that owned the plant. Darn!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghugly View Post
    I was talking to the owner of the scrap yard in Tulare, CA last week. He said that he had sold all of his scrap lead to a guy for fifty cents a pound (two 55 gal drums full).
    Wow, I guess that the $.35 per pound that one place quoted me isn't that bad. One question. How much does a 55 gallon drum of WW weigh? IIRC one place quoted me for a 55 gallon drum of WW. (How I get it home is another matter by itself.)

Boolit Man
    Trade those batteries. Granted it sounds like a lot of fun to perform the experiment, but I'd be surprised if you'd get that much lead for your trouble.

IF I WERE DOING THIS, I would probably put on a face shield, smack the batteries open with an axe, dump the acid on the ground, and pour in lye (caustic soda, used to burn boils off of livestock... clear drains... make illegal drugs) which is extremely basic (opposite of acidic, you know...like alkaline) to neutralize whatever's left. You can make your own lye water from wood ashe, it's the old school way of making soap...and not too bad of an idea if you've got a lot of time on your hands or are a germaphobe. Just remember your rules about acid/water from high school chemistry and you should be fine...this stuff ain't any tougher than the hydrocloric that we played with.

Is you want it done fast, I'd call Chuck Norris. One swift roundhouse kick will seperate the lead from the battery in ingot form.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kellyj00 View Post
    Is you want it done fast, I'd call Chuck Norris. One swift roundhouse kick will seperate the lead from the battery in ingot form.
    ROTFLMAO!!!!
    Kurt H.
    I'm out of my mind, be back in a minute...

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyj00 View Post
    He will also take the battery acid home to drink when he gets up. Coffee doesn't have enough of a kick to get him going.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by VillageIdjit View Post
    Even seven year old Trojans still have some use left in them
    I think it's time to clean out your wallet!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Man
    The Lyman book says not to use automotive type batteries for a source of lead?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthewelder View Post
    The Lyman book says not to use automotive type batteries for a source of lead?
    Hi

In modern car batteries there is very little pure lead left in them when they wear out. Pretty much all of what was once there is lead combined with one or another chemical. Unless you have an industrial level smelting setup, getting the lead back to pure form is not at all easy.

If you just toss a chunk of battery into your normal melt, the result is a real mess. Thus Lyman's warning.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Autozone takes old batteries in at no charge. FWIW....Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy Blackhawk Convertable's Avatar
    And the salvage yard PAYS about $2 a piece for them!

Boolit Mold
    I would make the guys that installed the new batteries take them. or usually you can take them to autozone for free. exide will buy them from them and recycle them. At least thats how its done here in MS.

Banned - scumball see homepage.
    It's not hard to crack open those battery cases. They break open easy if you run over them w/ a bulldozer Don't ask how I know

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by medic44 View Post
    It's not hard to crack open those battery cases. They break open easy if you run over them w/ a bulldozer Don't ask how I know
    Hey Medic44, Where's the hammer mould? I've waited a pretty long time

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Ya, Medic44,, where is the mold yu have been promising for 6 months + now?
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Inquiring minds would like to know when you will forward the mould to the next person on the list.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master
    I work in an industry that use a lot of deep cycle batteries.

As such I get the whole "spiel" every year about disposal from our two source's, trojan and GNB battery.

A couple guys working for GNB cast! They say battery lead "Isn't" and hasn't been for 30 years! It has way to much other metal types included in the alloy, to help live longer and hold more juice, to be any good to a caster of bullets!

I won't even discuss the other hazards involved, I'm sure we're all smart enough to know what causes cancer!

my suggestions? 1 get out the business to business yellow pages and start looking for scrap yards. I don't care where you live if theres people there's scrap!

2 if you fail to contact or they are just to far away to be economically feasible contact your current battery supplier. A lot of people don't know it but he has to take them if you ask him to, particularly if he installed them for you.

Now I'm gonna suggest you go with number one because you might get a trade going for something you can use. However this is your problem and you'll need to resolve it to your satisfaction.

or just have one big doorstop clint

Boolit Buddy
    Hi

Find a boat buoy that needs an anchor .....

Bob

Banned

Ya mean like the Clinton Campaign?..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast