Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything PBcastco
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whatto do with 1452 lbs of battery lead?

Banned

Whatto do with 1452 lbs of battery lead?

I'm changing out my solar system's batteries and holly cow that's a lot of lead.

I can't even sell em' to a recycler in these parts. Any ideas? .....

Banned

oops... I ment to post this in shooters.com. soory.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi

Normally I make sure the guy who sells me the new ones will take back the old ones.

Yes it's a major hassle ....

Bob

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Pat, those batteries could be "deep cycle" and MIGHT be of the older lead plate type. In that case, they could be a good source of pure lead. But what can be done to avoid contaminating your place and youself with acid? You would still have a considerable pile of plastic cases to get rid of. I think I'd demand that whoever you are buying the new batteries from dispose of them. Just my two cents worth after corroding the concrete floor of my station with twelve years worth of junk batteries awaiting the visit of the Exxon rep. to redeem my customer adustment money.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Banned

THey are the huge Trojen L16 6 volt golf cart type of batteries.

May just be pure lead. I guess I could put one on the burn pile..

Banned

Found this:

DEEP CYCLE lead acid batteries have thicker plates and lead-antimony support grids for years of over 50% deep cycle charge and discharge. Golf cart batteries, the "L-16" and the "L-16HC" industrial batteries are the most common. Surplus industrial batteries may be deep cycle lead-antimony, or pure lead, or may be shallow cycle lead calcium construction.

Auto batteries are shallow cycle only. Cat, automobile, and truck batteries are NOT deep cycle and will not last long in home power systems. These have thinner plates and lead-calcium grids designed for less than 20% discharge and immediate recharge. If an industrial lead-calcium battery is well oversized so that normal cycling uses only the top 20% of battery capacity, lead calcium cells can be used.*

Boolit Buddy
    Hi

Even if you have some lead in there, you will also have a bunch of other stuff. Separating the pure lead from the lead compounds may be a problem.

Bob

I was talking to the owner of the scrap yard in Tulare, CA last week. He said that he had sold all of his scrap lead to a guy for fifty cents a pound (two 55 gal drums full). And he said the same guy also took all of his batteries at a great price (no idea what a "great price" is but, judging from the grin on his face, it was more than he'd hoped for). So, I'd say that your batteries have value. I've no idea how much and to who.

I tried getting the lead out of a car battery once, and only once. It turned into a whole bunch of work, a great big mess, and not all that much lead. Deep cycle batteries might well be a different animal. If you decide to melt one down, I'd really like to hear about it.

Moderator Emeritus

Pat, How many years use did you get out of them? Thanks, Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Pat, How many years use did you get out of them? Thanks, Gianni
    I bought them new in 99' and they are just now starting on the down hill side. That's even with them setting in my shop for at least a year (uncharged), because the place didn't have an adequate room for the system, and it took me that long before I built an addition.

I'm happy with them. I know other people who don't get that long of a life.

One thing I believe in is direct to the battery bank DC charging.

Found an interesting website on some different batteries:

http://thesolar.biz/hup_solar_one_batteries.htm

You might try the local recycler to see if he would trade you 2:1 for WWs.

I got to agree with Pumpguy on this one.See what kind of trade you can get.Just not worth your time,sweat or health issues
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

Boolit Master
    Forty or more yrs ago I melted car battery lead down and got usable melt.
    A couple yrs ago I tried it again with more recent batteries and experience--I thought!!

Didn't get anything except crappy, messy gray powder after at least an hour of hot fire and big flame's. It's not worth messing with I'll tell you that much.

Pat, far as those you have, I wish you the best with it. Please let us know what you discover.
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

Boolit Buddy
    If you decide to take em apart, get lots of baking soda, Baking soda will neutralize the acid

Boolit Buddy
    Pat,

Call your local fork truck/tow motor dealer. They should know where you can sell your batteries as junk. They do have some value if they can be rebuilt, so do not damage the case or posts. In my area, junk automotive batteries currently bring $2-3. About 10 years ago I sold 6 junk Hyster (small electric pallet lift) batteries for $15 each.

Good Luck

Banned

I'm gonna do a trade at a scrap yard I believe. Not gonna do the burn pile thing

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    I'm gonna do a trade at a scrap yard I believe. Not gonna do the burn pile thing
    Pat,
    You MIGHT just try listing them on Craig's list or other for sale/trade board. Even seven year old Trojans still have some use left in them for someone unable to afford a new bank (pun intended) or for someone just getting starting and wanting to experiment.

Vic
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

If the batteries are worn out don't bother trying to melt them. As batteries age the plates get covered with sulphates. The lead that is left is very hard to extract. I knew better but tried again with an oak fire stoked with a leaf blower, One 8d and 6 golf cart battery and a half days work gave about 10 pounds of lead. I'd rather give midway my money and spend my time in the woods!

Boolit Man
    Cast them into giant boobies. They will come, and you can charge admission!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast