Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #5 plastic cottage cheese tub...the bomb!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Coolwhip is the only one I have had success with and I have tried over 8 different plastics/sizes/shapes.

I do only 35-50 at time depending on caliber. And a VERY little bit of powder. Leave the lid off so you can watch to see if there are any thin spots....and add a tiny bit more powder. Only takes about 2 minutes of swirling.

banger

Boolit Master

Have you tried the Ricotta Cheese Tub? Works for me, but I'm going to get some Coolwhip to eat, I mean a Coolwhip Tub to use.

Coolwhip is the only one I have had success It does have that slightly domed bottom without the edge on the domed part ( like the one I used). Some cottage cheese are made the same way. Need to find/get one of those as the ones I did with HF red came out GREAT (1" 30 cal). Looked like the ES-PC'd ones. Shot good and weigh within 1/2 gr. coated.
    Whatever!

I think the shape of the container is more important than it's color. My first was a clear peanut butter jar It worked fine with HF red. Next I took white plastic jar, milk replacer for kittens, put a rod through it . made a scrap wood frame to hold it & allow it to turn end over end( Think bingo ball tumbler) put a hand to crank it. 5min. SLOW turning coats boolits evenly
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Bub
    I also am finding that slow tumbling works the best.
    Here are the single coat batch I did in a small cottage cheese container.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-2G9j2z4-L.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	98137

Banned

Looking good.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Looking good.
    Thanks, I think next time I'm going to try warming the boolits a little first and see what happens.

Banned

I have been reading every thread/post on "coatings" for a while now, and dry PC has every advantage and no downside. Your results confirm what seems to be coming, dry PC coming from no where and dominating the "coating" field.

Boolit Bub
    fattires,
    Your coating look nice.
    I've only been tumble coating a short time, but unless the boolets are really cold I haven't found warming them make much difference. That being said, it doesn't hurt anything ether.

I've coated boolits that were in a 36f shop all night with out heating them, or the shop. they coated just fine. heating doesn't hurt if you don't over do it. If they are too warm the powder clumps & doesn't smooth when you bake them, Your boolits look very good.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by fattires View Post
    I also am finding that slow tumbling works the best.
    Here are the single coat batch I did in a small cottage cheese container.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-2G9j2z4-L.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	98137
    Perhaps I should try slow tumbling as well. I was using the coolwhip container but swishing them around rather vigorously. Just did up my first batch earlier this evening. They have some bare spots but I think they should at least shoot well enough to work up some loads that will cycle my 300blk.

My findings on pre-heating the boolits match the others' results: no difference between doing so and not doing so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12