WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome aboard to all new members

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief_10Beers View Post
    New guy here from NC. New to reloading and casting. Muddy Creek Sam and Ricky P steered me to this forum. With the info of this forum and Rick P's tutalge, maybe I wont blow my had off! ....................................
    With Ricky P's help, make sure your insurance is paid up!

Welcome aboard!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold
    just got here my self looks interesting. my brother waksupi invited me so if i say anything real stupid blame him. thanks for having me.
    i was going to post a picture but you wanted to know the url of my picture. what the hell is a url? i guess i,ll have to find the instruction book agian.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by elawolf View Post
    just got here my self looks interesting. my brother waksupi invited me so if i say anything real stupid blame him. thanks for having me.
    i was going to post a picture but you wanted to know the url of my picture. what the hell is a url? i guess i,ll have to find the instruction book agian.
    Well, both of my brothers are members here now. We have you all surrounded! Welcome aboard, Steve.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

Hello,

I am new here, hailing from Arkansas. This is a fantastic site! I'm already addicted to casting, I have been doing it 5 or 6 years, primarily for the big bores. I would prefer to shoot a big cast "boolet" more than anything else.

I hope to pick up some tips and learn to make perfect and beautiful boolits as in some of the pictures I see here.

Boolit Mold
    Hi there,

I'm new as well
    New to casting for the most part.

I work at a tire shop again, so free lead when I go to work everyday

Just got my feet wet casting Minie rounds for my 50 cal flintlock out of sticky weights. Which I understand are pure lead, great for blackpowder shooting.

One problem, the lee mold puts them out at .5015 in my mold, and for the minie to operate like it should, it has to be sized.

Where can I get a sizer for just under .50 cal?

Sorry to make my first post a question
    I <3 Surplus Weapons

Boolit Mold
    Hello all, I have been a member for a while just never posted. I have been doing alot of reading on the site and I finally ordered some casting equipment last week.
    As soon as the big brown truck gets here with my goodies I imagine I will have a lot of questions for you all..........

Howdy. I've known about this site for a while, but just signed up today. By way of introduction...

I cast my first bullets 55 years ago this year. I was poor and it was an economics measure as much as anything. .38/.357 and .44-40 got me started. I got away from it as time went on (and seemed to shrink!). Bought tons of commercial cast stuff when I was shooting comp back in the day.

But recently, with the ammo crunch and "new national leadership" I figgered that rather than buy the over-priced stuff in the marketplace I should get back into casting, and so started reviving what I already had and buying new. I now cast for .45 and .50 muzzleloaders, .308, .38/.357, .44 Spcl and Mag, .45ACP, .45 Colt, 9mm.

I live pretty remotely and my shooting bench is on the front deck, with 800 yards available out front and 1-1/2 miles off one side. No neighbors 'cept critters.

I'm impressed and humbled with the amount of knowledge here and sure hope some of it rubs off! Thanks for letting me in.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dunesman View Post

I live pretty remotely and my shooting bench is on the front deck, with 800 yards available out front and 1-1/2 miles off one side. No neighbors 'cept critters.
    Very nice! Welcome aboard!
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Bub

Smile New To The Site

Glad to have found such a great site. Am new to casting, got first hand experience casting last week and am being being shown sizing and lubing this weekend. As someone had mentioned it is awsome learning how to make something from one product into another at a cost savings.I also will be looking into Lee products since I live only 30 mins away.

Boolit Mold
    Hey everyone ! My uncle is a member here, and steered me in the direction of this site. I have been reloading for a few years, and have recently started stockpileing, and smelting lead. I am a Ford mechanic by trade so I have a pretty steady supply of WW for me to keep busy with. I have to say that the amount of knowledge on this board is unreal !! I have been reading as often as I can to learn from you all. The last few weekends I have been scouring the flea markets, and yard sales for my casting equiptment. So far I have collected a few ingot molds, cast iron pans, a turkey fryer, spoons, and some safety gear. I can already tell I am venturing into a new addiction..... Thanks castboolits, I look forward to learning as much as I can !!!

New here from Neb but have been in KS for the last 4 years for school. Start reloading last summer and I have no regrets except I don't get to do it as often as I'd like to because I'm a poor college student. Found this site yesterday as I got to thinking, "If I like reloading why don't I try out bullet casting."

So here I am, taking in a vast amounts of information from this website and rereading the bullet casting section in my reloading manuals. Hope to begin in a month or so as long as I can find a steady source of lead and if I feel the process can be safetly done on my third story apartment deck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief_10Beers View Post
    New guy here from NC. New to reloading and casting. Muddy Creek Sam and Ricky P steered me to this forum. With the info of this forum and Rick P's tutalge, maybe I wont blow my had off! ....................................
    Well let's hope you don't blow your head off, your pic shows you're a
    good-looking guy!

I'm kinda new here too, great site, keeps me up late just readin'.
    The bad side: too many opportunities to spend money I ain't got!
    Good stuff though. Learned a LOT already.

Boolit Master

New to this site. I have never cast bullets before and I don't even know where to start or what to ask. I will read the posts and see if I can figure out a starting point. I have guns, reloading equipment but not the ability to create my own bullets. I am sure I will find the answers around here. Thanks for the site. Charlie

Hi, I have been stalking the site for casting info and finally decided to join. The site has a lot of info and has a good community.

Banned

You guys will fot right in. Just watch out for that Waksupi guy...

Boolit Mold

Noob from PA with first batch of .45 boolits :-)

Hey There,

I hail from PA and travel to the great land of Texas for work on a monthly basis. I'm pretty much into shooting SASS with .45 in my guns and rifle. I also shoot an M1 Garand and hope to see if this is a good fit for the M1 as well, but mostly plan to make Cowboy loads.

Signed up for the forum about a year and a half ago, did a bunch of reading here and finally got everything I needed to get started. Then it all sat on my shop shelf for the last 8 months

Well I got tired of storing it all and figured I'd get rid of the lead that's been taking up all that shelf space. Best way to get rid of it seemed to be to melt it into some of these boolits you all keep talking about, LOL.

The SASS black powder shooting bug has bitten me so I figured the most economical way to keep shooting Cowboy and the holy black was to make my own ammunition.

I made my first run at making them yesterday. I separated them into small batches so I could compare my progress. I mad 6 batches of 30 boolits. First batch were pretty jagged and rough, mold was cold i guess. Next batch was smoother, but I had a lot of lead burs on the edges. A few times I guess I didn't have the mold closed tightly and the lead creeped a little. The batches got progressively better looking, from my inexperienced eyes. I'm using the Big Lube Lee molds (from Dick Dastardly Black Power supplies). I kept them for now, because I want to show someone my progress to see if they can give me some advice after seeing what I made. Can I post pics here for review or is that a waste of time or not recommended on this forum?

Looking forward to making some good boolits eventually. after some trial and error.

Thanks for motivating me to "get the lead out" or I mean off the shelf

Mooney

Boolit Master
    Nobody answered yet so I'll take up the slack (the other guys are out back casting).

As a seasoned member since, well, last month, I would advise you to post a couple pics.
    See size limits on the upload window. There are a lot of good casters here, I'm sure
    they would give you some pointers.

Anyway you can't be as bad as the guys on Mythbusters, I just watched them casting
    minie-balls. They poured the lead in a little bit at a time, then dunked the mould
    in water before opening it. Aluminum mould, that is. I'm no expert but I think that
    qualifies as abuse?

Boolit Mold

new from ks

Just found this place. I've never done casting before but sure looks like fun. Its ok to point me in the right direction. Did not know their were so many choices.

Hi:

I'am new to this forum. Hope to learn a lot from you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Greetings all! Just found this a couple days ago and joined up the same day.

Been reloading since "68" and casting since "72". Started with a 44 Lachmiller three cavity mold and a 150 grn RCBS 38 two cavity mold. Lubing was done with a lee setup. A 4" dia. aluminum pan about 1/2" deep. Put it onthe stove, melt the lube, stick in the boolits, and let harden. Remove the bullets with a cookie cutter and stick the next batch of boolits in the holes and reheat! Sizing was accomplished by sticking the boolit in a die and then using a punch and a hammer to beat the boolit thru the size die!!! Now I use a Magma Eng. Luber with an MA systems collator that does over 4,000 boolits an hour!

I competed in IPSC for 25 years and started selling boolits to the other guys to pay for my hobby. Had to quit IPSC due to health problems. I still cast and sell boolits for pocket money. SS ain't that great!

This is a great site and I am enjoying reading the posts. Perhaps I can pass on a few tricks of the trade.

Fred

Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast