MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 48 of 59 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome aboard to all new members

Boolit Mold
    Hi all! Newbie here. I've been reloading my own shells for a couple of years now, but am just beginning to dip my toes into the Bullet Casting waters. Will be primarily starting out casting slugs for my 12 gauge slug gun, but hope to move from there onto casts for my hand guns and long rifles as well. I've already amassed about 100 lbs of lead wheel weights, and my son just surprised me with about 200 lbs of lead diving weights he came across in Florida.
    So, I have a LOT to learn, and will be reading a LOT of the posts on here.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Sdharlow study the stickies and then jump in one thing with lead you can recast till you get it right.

Boolit Mold
    Hello pals, my name is Margarette and I am the latest addition to this community.

Howdy from Kentucky Margarette. I've been blessed by the community there, and im sure you and all new members will be also.

Boolit Mold
    Hi all. Been lurking for awhile... trying to gain what knowledge I can before asking any fool questions.

I'm a long time shooting enthusiast. My old man taught me to reload .308 on a old Lee and .38 WC/SWCs on his Dillon 450. Those have come to me over the years... and I've been moving them in a box over the course of a few military moves over the years. I broke down over the course of this year and got one of those Lee handloaders just to try to stick my big toe back in the water... as I wanted to get back into reloading and the small stockpile of WC/SWCs I'd loaded up years before had dried up. I'd talked about setting the presses up for years but just never got around to carving out a little 'me' corner in the house and it was... and still is.. a means to an end. I'd also added a pair of decent shooter grade S&W Model 10s over the last year to the nickel Model 19 that was his service weapon when he was a Sherriff in the 70s. He's passed on to his great reward a couple years back... and he had told me stories of bullet casting with wheel weights back before I was around... and I've been intrigued enough to scrounge a bit of lead... get some safety equipment and have a Lee Production pot in the mail. I've bought a bunch of bullets over the years... but with a new shooting range getting built over the next few months in the little town I live in... I aim to enjoy my first real shore duty and have a hobby again.

I'd grown up hunting some... but have gotten away from it over the years. The last few times I'd been out was with ailing family members who couldn't really get in the woods without someone practically carrying them... and I went to let them still do what they enjoy. Now... with my oldest being 7 and showing interest in turning squirrels into stew... I'm planning on taking her out this fall and seeing how she likes it. I'm not... and probably will never be an avid hunter... but I appreciate having had the opportunity to do it and consider it a skill that is good for my kids to know, even if they don't care to do regularly. I'll find it shocking if they don't at least find squirrel hunting a thrill. I always did. One of my uncles had a SxS Stevens .410 that made me feel like a little Mad Max when I was a kid and we'd go out to get a bunch of squirrels.

I've got some cases with their flash holes modified and have been shooting some wax here and there since last year from reading it somewhere around here. I've been doing the standby 148 gr HBWCs over 2.7 gr. of Bullseye... and have been trying out some new things (this and 158 SWCs over 3 gr. of Bullseye is all I knew as a teen). I have a batch of 158 SWCs over 5 gr. of Unique I oughta be able to fire this weekend. I'd read some about .360 diameter 000 buck with light power loads or primer only and a tight crimp I want to give a try eventually. I've still trying to pick out my first mold... but I figure it'll be either a Lee 158 gr. SWC or the RF. It's all interesting stuff and I'm enjoying getting back into it. I wish I could share it with my old man... as he was my #1 guy to talk to about randomness... but I've got the next generation to chat up about my interests. If my girls can talk Ninja Turtles and My Little Ponies with me... they can hear their dad talk about sight picture and how to squeeze a trigger. It's a fair trade!

Welcome, sdharlo, 1Margarette & charleswrivers. First off there is no dumb question as someone on this forum will have your answer. We want to help! I spent many months when I joined, reading stickies, and posts, but at some point you just have to ask. If you have an answer don't be afraid to give it no matter your post count. If you have a question on the rules send one of the moderators a private message (PM) we'll get back to you.

Second read the rules, read the infraction system sticky in the Our Town, and the Frequently asked Questions thread under the General thread and post, post, post, you all will have something to contribute. You only have 29 to go.

The magic numbers are 30 posts, 30 days as member. Once you reach these levels you will have full access to the forum and be able to sell items here. You can track your post count by looking at the upper right hand corner of the screen when you sign on under your screen name.

We all started where you are so again, welcome to Cast Boolits.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Mold
    I really appreciate the very warm welcome @minerat and @bazoo.

Boolit Master

Thanks for opening the door for me. I've been here since,well-- years. The initial forum always fulfilled my needs so I never ventured further.
    I've been occupied with growing old and the many and varied issues it brings and have lost touch with many friends.
    Where is 45Nut? I tried P.M.ing him a while ago with no results. I'll be around, I hope, to TTYL.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Banned

Hey there PePe..!

Good evening All,
    I have been lurking for quite a while and have learned enough about casting to collect about 400 lbs of lead and most of the tools it takes to do it. What I haven’t done well is share the journey. I recently retired and am looking forward to learning how to turn the lead into boolits!
    Thanks,
    Richard

Hi Guys. I'll present my story as a first, test posting. I've been casting since 1976 as a 15 year old. My dad gave me a .32-20 but even then ammo for that was hard to locate and expensive for paper route money. I learned of casting. Right then, my newspaper ditched their linotype presses. My paperboy instinct keyed into the possible availability of linotype. I rode my bike across town to the pressing facility and expressed interest in their lead. I was led to a room with what I recall to be a small Fort Knox of billy club sized ingots of precious linotype all stacked together. "How many do you want" I was asked. I replied, "oh, one." He asked me was I sure and he'd sell it all to me cheap. I declined that opportunity and rode away with one club in my bike basket. You all can imagine how by now I kick myself for not grabbing it all to become Hoss Linotype for life. Oh well who has any sense at 15?

Boolit Mold
    Hello everyone. Thanks for having me.
    I was referred over from another forum where I was asking questions related to powder coating. I’ve done a fair amount of casting over the years, but usually just run the output through my old lube sizer. I’m looking forward to trying something different.

Banned
    Old Dutch - welcome to CB. If you decided to start casting to save money, forget it. You won't, you'll just shoot more.
    There is a VS (Vendor Sponsor) Smoke4320 that sells an assortment of powder coating that all works for ASBBDT (Air Soft BB Dry Tumbling) http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...owder-For-sale
    There is a section dedicated to Coatings and Alternatives
    For volume powder coating I use this method http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ange-PC-method
    I have a thread on containers you can use for powdercoating http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...BDT-containers
    I have found that NOE sizing dies are a better value, have more sizes available and store easier than Lee http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=104
    Casting boolits (lead bullets) properly is a science, once you know the basics, not a hard science.
    There is a lot of good information on CB. The Google search (top right of every forum page) is a gateway to all the knowledge on this forum. IF you can’t find your answer there ask the question (Please be as detailed as possible, pictures help http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...g-screen-shots I would be very surprised if there wasn’t someone on this forum that could answer ANY (firearm related) question you might have)
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
    1. Boolits need to be cast .0005 to .003 (normally .002) over the slugged diameter of your barrel for accuracy and to avoid leading. If the fit is wrong nothing else will work right.
    a. slugging a barrel (it is safer to use a brass rod or a steel rod with a couple of coats of tape to avoid damaging your barrel http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm
    b. chamber casting https://www.brownells.com/guntech/ce....htm?lid=10614
    or pound casting http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rifle-chamber)
    2. the right alloy needs to be used for the velocity and purpose of the boolit (don’t fall into the trap of going with too hard an alloy
    Economical way to easily test lead hardness
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rdness-testing

Some alloys harden over time
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chap...Metallurgy.htm
    different alloy’s different end sizes

Lead alloy calculator
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...4&d=1341560870
    3. velocity the bullet needs to be pushed hard/fast enough to get the proper spin, have the proper velocity to accurately reach the target but not so hard as to be dangerous or strip the lead off in the grooves instead of spinning the boolit..
    The boolit needs to be the right weight for the riffling/twist rate of your barrel
    Powders range from fast to slow, you need to choose the right powder for your barrel length & application.
    Loading manuals list the best powders for certain calibers and boolit weights.
    NEVER use any posted noncommercial load data without first checking commercial load data to see if falls in the safe parameter for your firearm!! There are several firearms out there that can handle much higher pressures than others!!
    Link to free online load data
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...online-sources

Boolit Bub
    Hi, I’m Dave, from North Carolina, and I’ve been lurking on here for several years, signed up a couple of years ago when I started reloading, and have been spending hours and hours gaining knowledge from this site. Decided it was finally time to introduce myself.

I just started reloading a couple of years ago and have really enjoyed it. Now I’ve decided to try casting my own boolits. My supplies just arrived from Titan Reloading. I’m starting with the basics, just a Lee Melter, ladle, a couple of two-cavity 38 special molds, and a bottle of Liquid Alox. Some Range lead is on the way and when it gets here I’ll be ready to go.

Thanks to everyone for all the help I’ve already received just from reading the posts on this site. I’ve learned a lot, but I know there’s a lot more to learn.

Dave

Boolit Mold
    Hello, from Tennessee!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have had thoughts of casting boolits for many years, but never acted on it. In my area, I have never, to my knowledge, met a boolit caster. I have spoken to an older gentleman that talked of shooting cast ammo, but he did not say whether he cast his boolits himself.

At any rate, I am 56 years old and work for Bridgestone tires. Put myself through law school and am taking the bar exam in February. Been an avid shooter for 35 years and have enjoyed the people I have met more than the guns and range time. I am a people person. One reason I am excited about this site is the abundant how-can-I-help-you mentality of the membership. The courtesy you folks extend to one another is nothing short of old school gracious.

This is probably more than you want to know, but a friend once said if you ask me what time it is, I'll tell you how to build a watch.

God bless and be well,

David

Boolit Buddy
    Hello all. I've been absent so long I want to sort of reintroduce myself here. Became a caster several years ago and worked through many new caster issues with help from many here. Made many new friends along the way. Tragedy struck our family though in August of 2016 when my parents-in-law were horribly murdered in their home next county over. Still reeling from the kilings we've been involved in the court proceedings and hearings pertaining to the man charged with the murders. Lost my only sibling, an older sister, to cancer unexpectedly last year. Helping family sort out her estate since then. Lots happening that has prevented life as we used to know it.
    But happy to be back and hope to learn and contribute as before. Thanks for having me. Don.

Banned

Welcome back Don. Holy cow- you've been through to much. Need some cast boolit therapy and as you know, this is the best place to get it. Hang in there... Pat

Banned

That's some great info Grmps...!

Boolit Mold
    Hello..my buddy Dougguy told me about this site about 5 years ago..been looking ever since.been casting.reloading.working on guns appx. 40 years.turned wrenches at ford dealers 20 years.worked my way up(or down)to parts and service director.got a wild hair up my butt and went to police academy .retired from police dept.after 20 when I got throat cancer.been a hobby machinist for 20-25 years.i enjoy making and modifying stuff..I've learned a lot from you guys reading stickies and posts.dougguy is a fine fellow.very technical in his fields.hope at some point I can contribute to this site.thanks Phil

Boolit Mold
    Hiya - my searches have landed me here quite a bit so I take that as a sign! Started casting 50 years ago but life has a way of interfering doesn't it? I am getting into SS rifles lately and am starting to load with cast boolits. I have been able to confuse myself quite thoroughly so I will be full of questions. Thanks in advance.
    Larry Lee Mason

So many guns - so little time
    Broke but:
    Ballard #5 "Sporterized" in .40-85
    Ballard #4 1/4 (I hope) in .40-63 on it's way
    Ballard #2 in .32 CF
    Stevens 44 1/2 .32-40 Fecker 12X scope
    Stevens 44 .25-20 SS
    Etc, etc.

Page 48 of 59 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast