RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome aboard to all new members

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post

Cast some 180 gr gas checked 357 Mags with a fellow [poster 45-70] in Fernandina Beach before Christmas using his LBT mould, Lyman sizer and Lee furnace. What a riot. Furnace wouldn't heat up outside in the 30 mph wind gusts with temperature dropping from 35 degrees to 25 degrees, so we went to dinner at Sonny's BBQ. Got back and I had never seen wheel weight clips BRIGHT RED. His furnace GOT HOT in an hour.
    gotta be careful there. You had actually reached a temperature that lead can gas off, and actually be a health hazard.

Welcome aboard new guys!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

...outside in the 30 mph wind gusts...
    Ventilation at the time was the least of our worries, but thank you for the warning about those 'red hot' clips and the "gas off" temperature of the melt. If I ever see that again I will KNOW to be careful and to proceed with caution - ensuring adequate ventilation.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Mold
    Hi to all that are here and thank you for allowing me to join.. been reloading for years, casting boolits, swaging those puppies also, working with wildcats and all that other good stuff, some not wildcats anymore....man I'm old...

-Snoopz

Hello, new guy here.

Making plans for retirement in three years, and decided to go back to casting, reloading, and shooting. Found this forum through Internet search. Liked the site so much, I joined up.
    Ran my own gun shop until early 80s. I'm amazed by how much casting and reloading has changed (improved) over the years. Really looking forward to listening and learning a lot.

Thanks!

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    linotype[/B];1149031]Hello, new guy here.

Making plans for retirement in three years, and decided to go back to casting, reloading, and shooting. Found this forum through Internet search. Liked the site so much, I joined up.
    Ran my own gun shop until early 80s. I'm amazed by how much casting and reloading has changed (improved) over the years. Really looking forward to listening and learning a lot.

Thanks!
    I am continually amazed of the handles that are still available that would seem to have been grabbed years ago.
    Welcome aboard!
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by linotype View Post
    ...Making plans for retirement in three years...
    I'm gonna wait 'til I can afford it, if I can keep away from the Group Buys
    and Swappin' & Sellin' it'll only be about 90 years from now!

Quote Originally Posted by 45nut View Post
    I am continually amazed of the handles that are still available that would seem to have been grabbed years ago.
    Welcome aboard!
    Well, thank you. Glad to be here.

I was surprised to find that handle unused.

During my younger years I spent time around the Mergenthaler plant that made the circuit boards for the machines. Played around with hot metal, and haunted the typesetter at a local paper.
    When I got into reloading, I started using lino scraps for casting. Back then, lead was lead to me. Boy, I've since found out here that there is more to casting than just melting, lubing and jamming it in a case!

Quote Originally Posted by a.squibload View Post
    I'm gonna wait 'til I can afford it, if I can keep away from the Group Buys
    and Swappin' & Sellin' it'll only be about 90 years from now!
    Oh, got that right! At first glance, I thought I'd crack the piggy bank and cast a few bullets to pass the time.
    Think again! I found so many new moulds and other goodies that I just have to have.
    Wow. I think I need a bigger piggy bank!!

Boolit Master

Just a question, I did not receive any notification when my membership ran out with the CBA. Due to personal preferances, and the fact that my old computer will not open attachments, does anyone have the pen, paper, stamp and check system for renewing my membership? Honestly I don't think I have ever had this much trouble joining anything. It seem most groups want to make it easy to join.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/join2.shtml

Everyone knows the CBA and Cast Boolits are separate outfits,, right?
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by linotype View Post
    Hello, new guy here.

Thanks!
    Welcome! Where abouts in central PA?
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by *Paladin* View Post
    Welcome! Where abouts in central PA?
    Saw your sig - First off, let me say, thanks for serving!

Near Williamsport (Little League Baseball)

Boolit Mold
    Howdy! Lots of great info on here, I've been watching for awhile and finally decided to join.

Boolit Bub
    Hi everyone and thanks for having me. Basically Im a retired Navy/CG gunner (CWO4-WEPS) retired now 6 years and finally getting re-interested in shooting my AR/50 BMG again. Its taken a long time to get the desire to shoot again after being involved with small arms, major weapon systems, and LE day in and out for 30 years. Since I have never reloaded before this part of ordnance has re-sparked my interest and Im in the final stages of setting up my RCBS 50 BMG Ammo-master which I have had in storage new for 7 years. Cant wait to start reloading my old 50 BMG and .338 brass, and measuring results at our local 1000 yard range.

The only thing I am stumped on is a reasonable cost long range spotting scope, I suppose at that range walking to verify every group will be necessary. Im hoping my Ziess 3-9X40 scope which has the best optics I have ever used will allow me to see the holes that far like it does at 400 Yrds as this is the longest distance I have shot my AR/50 only 400 yards previously with BMG issue 2-3 inch groups.

Anyway

PS- since I cant afford a larger Zeiss 6-20X50 (1K), After a lot of research Im hoping this spotting scope for $298 shipped will bridge the gap a 22-66X100 Celestron 52252
    Last edited by CWO4GUNNER; 02-14-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

I want to welcome all our new members, the speed which Cast Boolits has grown is amazing. The warmth and sense of community here is one of the strongest on the Net.

I especially want to thank all our new members in uniform. I keep all of you in my daily thoughts and prayers. May God Bless and watch over you where ever you are.
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Hello from "Almost Heaven"

Hi everybody.

I don't cast my own boolits yet, but I've sent at least ton of them downrange and I'm here to learn.
    A ton of boolits might seem a bit like an exaggeration, which I've been known to do, but it's only 60,870 rounds fired in .45acp or 88,608 rounds fired in .38spl.

I reload .38spl, .357mag and .45acp on a Lee Classic Turret press and have a couple single stage press for the other tasks.
    I've got guns that shoot .32acp and .380auto also, but I got big paws and those are little bitty cases.
    With very little exception, I only reload with naked plumbum alloy projectiles.

I used to shoot mostly bottomfeeders, but all the years of wild living finally caught up with me and I had to migrate to revolvers after I could no longer rack the slides reliably. Or at least not reliably enough for SD/HD purposes. However, I really didn't know what I was missing until I started shooting revolvers.

My favorite Rimfire is a Ruger MkII with a tapered 6 7/8" target barrel
    My favorite .38spl is a S&W 15-3 4"
    My favorite .357mag is a S&W 686 4", with a S&W 19-3 4" running a close second.
    My favorite .45acp is a Remington Rand 1911A1, but there's a S&W 625JM due in any day now will most likely take its place.
    All of my guns are shooters, but the R-R 1911A1 is going into semi-retirement (No pun intended) when the 625JM arrives.

I'm a NRA life member (Patron) and a member of WVCDL (West Virginia Citizen's Defense League)
    SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) is a shooter also. In fact, she's a better shot with our snubbies and mouseguns than I am.
    We both dabble in photography also. She an artist and can see things I don't, while I'm technically inclined and my pictures are more along the"Snapshot" line while her's are "Photographs".
    Age and Treachery will always overcome Youth and Skill

Welcome Johnnie! Just a few short months ago I hadn't cast any bullets either. This stuff is addictive. Now that I'm shooting my own and seeing BETTER accuracy than I've gotten with similar commercial cast boolits, I'm hooked! In fact, I don't even want to shoot any of my jacketed stuff! I find myself spending my days off scrounging for lead, but that's half the fun...
    -Steve
    Have gun, will travel.
    Iraq Vet '05-'06
    Afghanistan Vet '09-'10
    RIP- TSgt Jason Norton and SSgt Brian McElroy, KIA 22 Jan '06, near Taji, Iraq. You'll never be forgotten.

well i guess, that i am the newest newguy. i hope i don't get to far under your skin.

Justin Hill

Boolit Buddy

Hello Everyone

I just registered today. My registration was recommended by a member of another site in response to information I was seeking.

After checking the site over, I decided to stick around.

I don't currenty cast. However, I have entertained the idea of doing so several times in the past. I've just not stepped over the line. For the most part, In my younger years, I didn't have the room to devote to casting. No excuse now, other than I have to take the time to do so.

Back in the early '80's I worked part time at a local gun shop. During that time, I bought an RCBS Lubasizer, a couple Lyman handles and Lyman dies for Keith style bullets in .357 and .44 Cal. as well as other components. I didn't buy a furnace, however. I still have everything and they are still new in the box packed away in the loading room. As I mentioned, I've just not taken the final step.

I recently passed the half-century mark. Retired from the first career and am several years into the second. I been into shooting sports and hunting since I was in single digits. I watched my father and his buddies reload and began on my own at around 18. With exception of a couple of break periods due to career and child rearing, I have been loading most of the time since I began.

I've recently began accumulating used presses and am currently up to 9. I don't know where that's going, but over the last two years I've found it hard to turn down a decent deal on a good used press or reloading gear.

Well, I guess that's enough rambling for the moment.

Thanks

Isaac

Moderator Emeritus
    Welcome Isaac.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast