Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Actual test result, COWW lead content!

Boolit Master

The last couple of batches of COWW that I got 'felt' softer than usual. they both come up to about 10bhn, according to my lee tester. What is 'pure coww' supposed to read??? mikey

Boolit Master

Mike;

COWW should be around 12 BHN, so they say!

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    Oh great, just when it seems like things are somewhat predictable you gotta go all the way back to the drawing board. Maybe I got lucky and had a steady alloy batch in my iso containers.
    Well, actually I am one of the lucky few that can access a xrf scanner to keep tabs on what comes in.
    Its just not convenient to get over to the lab at work during shift.
    Really, sometimes it feels like the more that you know, the more you know that you don't know!

Does that even make sense? What I meant was that every answer leads to many more questions!

Boolit Master
    Really, sometimes it feels like the more that you know, the more you know that you don't know!

Does that even make sense? What I meant was that every answer leads to many more questions!
    Makes perfect sense. The more you learn the more you realize what you do not know.
    I always say that stupid people don't even know that they are stupid. I guess there are all different degrees of that too.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lwknight View Post
    A ratio of 1 tin to 3 antimony is always a good mix. Less antimony will not hurt a thing.
    Exceeding 1 tin to 3 antimony is just wasting tin unless you basically want a binary alloy of tin/lead the antimony will be of little consequence in low percentages.
    A careful study of the metallurgy articles in Lyman's CBH s #3&4 will explain it to you. cbrick is correct. You may find 1% to be enough for your needs but a balance of tin to antimony in the 2.5 - 3.5 range makes the better alloy.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Let me try to explain this a different way. I will have 2% or more tin in anything that I cast if for no other reason than that I just like it and can afford it. What I was trying to get across is that it takes 1 part tin to 3 parts antimony to make the antimony behave and be totally part of the alloy rather than just a mixed in ingredient.

The part I disagree with is that there is any need to balance the 2 just for casting bullets to shoot.
    If I were casting hollow points for SD it would be 3-5% tin and no antimony.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DRNurse1 View Post
    Hmm, too bad we cannot rent one of those 'guns' at the tool rental place or the local indoor range.
    Back in Jan 2013 I ask a place for a quote on renting an XRF, below is a qoute from the email they sent back.

Hello Michael,

The rental rates for an XRF analyzer with alloy mode are:

$500/day
    $1500/week
    $4500/month

All rental equipment ships overnight via FedEx priority. Due to the high cost of this equipment shipments must be insured for $30,000. This insurance only covers the instrument while it is in transit. For the shipment to you, it is typically around $150 for the delivery charge plus $125 for our third party insurance. For the return shipment you must also insure the instrument for $30,000 at whatever rate FedEx, UPS charges.

We do not charge rent while the instrument is in transit, and we always offer our best rate guarantee meaning we will beat the total cost of any competitor.

As for purchasing, these instruments are only sold directly by the manufacturer who are now owned by Olympus. Last I checked they started at around $35,000.

If you would like to rent an analyzer, just let me know when and we will get started.

Michael Grace
    +1 on PIF's

Boolit Buddy
    That mix looks like about 10 BHN as cast. 2% Sn isn't going to harden it much -- but it will make it cast a lot better.

FYI,
    I spent some time sorting through COWWs this weekend. I tried to keep samples of every type. (THERE ARE LOTS!) I plan to XrF these over the next few weeks. I will post the results in the same way I posted the stick on WW data.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123