Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 43 Spanish barrel

Boolit Mold

update on .43 Spanish barrel

Hey guys, here's the latest on my predicament. I was looking for a roller to use as a parts gun, and bid on one at Gunbroker. Got it. It has the same octagonal area around the chamber that mine has, with a very good bore
    Then the gunsmith called and proposed a reline, and has a line on a .43 reamer.
    So that is what I'm gonna do. If I can keep the original barrel (which is pretty near excellent) I'll be happy.
    So now I'll have 2 rollers.
    I may take down the new one and do a restoration, maybe not. We'll see.
    On that weird idea, another fella at e-gunparts suggested using Steel Bed, available at Brownell's. I didn't have the guts to try that myself, but some folks are making it work.

M97 Rolling Block

Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    If you are going to stick to b/p pressures or close why not reline the chamber. Have a gunsmith bore out and thread the chamber area and screw in a liner and rechamber. I have dont this to a couple of trapdoors with good bores and ringed chambers and it worked out good.
    My 7mm RB has an oversize chamber. The barrel has already been set back and rechambered, but the problem remains. The local gunsmith school did the work but were not confidant that it would be safe to set the barrel back another turn.

Brass life is short due to case stretching so I load it at about 75% of suggested starting charges. The rifle, however shoots well and I would like to keep it in use.

I had thought of a replacement chamber as suggested by KCSO, but nobody I know seems to know much about the process. What is involved in re-lining a chamber?

PED

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paul edward View Post

My 7mm RB has an oversize chamber.

Brass life is short due to case stretching so I load it at about 75% of suggested starting charges.
    PED
    I am willing to bet your brass life is short because you are using off the shelf 7mm dies.

Have you tried just neck sizing the brass after the first firing? That way the only brass that is moved is in the neck and not the whole casing.

If that works, you might consider a oversized set of dies. Okay custom dies are probably a better way of descibing them but that sounds expensive.

Then again, probably cheaper than a new barrel or relining a chamber.

Good Luck
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Bub
    Norm,

My gunsmith has an Argentine RB barrel in .43 Spanish with a pristine bore. It is the one without the Argentine army stamp on the upper knoxform flat. He wants $200 for it.

Vern

I was thinking a rechamber to 45 or 50 Alaskan and shoot only cast loads in one.

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Boolit Man
    I suggest you contact JES Reboring to have your 43 barrel rebored and rechambered to 50/70 or 50/90.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Asleep View Post
    I suggest you contact JES Reboring to have your 43 barrel rebored and rechambered to 50/70 or 50/90.
    I sure hope he's figured this out after 15 years have passed!

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I sure hope he's figured this out after 15 years have passed!
    I like archeological digs. I've got a .43 and would have never found this thread without the excavation of others.

And I've been guilty on more than a few occasions of rescitating dead(almost) threads.

Boolit Grand Master

Retired... ex-military....
    But yea our 43's like the RCBS .446 FN cast of 40-1 with 2F Goex and a cereal box wad..
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12