RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Is it possible to make a JPW alternative?

Boolit Mold

Is it possible to make a JPW alternative?

Hi All.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had success making a JPW alternative using Carnauba and Paraffin wax blend?

In Australian we do not have access to JPW or the number of alternatives as mentioned on this site. The product that I have found which might be suitable is very expensive and I am not sure if it will even work. I can get pure Carnauba wax and have plenty of Paraffin Wax.

I have read the whole 45-45-10 thread and a few other on JPW.

I have found a couple of threads on DIY Carnauba/Paraffin blends but no definitive results on how it worked.

If anyone has any more info on how it worked compared to JPW and their mixing ratios that would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Spaceball.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would do some small scale experiments to see what you can get.

Start with maybe 50/05 carnuba/paraffin and go from there. Keep good records of what each mix is so it can be replicated.

I don't think the exact ratio will matter a bunch. Too much Carnuba will make or brittle and dry, avoid that.

You might even add about 10 percent beeswax, I know at least one guy who uses a bit in his mix.

Sometimes you just need to fly by the seat of your pants.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

airc the carnuba percentage is about 15, Stoddard solvents is what keeps the whole thing a paste.
    they are also what's being cooked out of the jpw when making the 45/45 lube.

Boolit Bub
    Would it be possible to just buy some JPW and have it shipped there?

I know that goes against the "do it yourself" theme of this site (something I admire), but I'm just throwing that out there b/c I'm not sure there would be much to prevent it being shipped there

its small, lightweight, no real packaging restrictions that I can think of (ie, its not powder, primers, or any "restricted" gun parts) and I can't think of any laws that would prevent it from being shipped there....

So, worse come to worse, and a suitable substitute can't be made / found, I don't see why you couldn't buy it from the US and have it shipped over

EDIT - if you DO find / make another substitute, please share, info like that is always good to have available