RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .358 Winchester barrel

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Thanks for the info! I will ask questions and appreciate the offer, and have seen other talk of it here and on other forums.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistim View Post
    I also considered either a .358 Winchester bbl for either a Yugo 48 or my Model 7 that is 7mm08 and never had respectable accuracy with any of several loads tried, but the Savage 110 seems like it would be the easiest and least expensive way to go.
    Just remember that the 110 is the long action. I used a Model 11 which is the short action.

Good to know! I wasn't sure until I first read your post that the kit worked for that one.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    I've posted this before, but I reduced costs by selling the original barrel and barrel wrench that came with the kit. I also saved $20 off at Midway by using a coupon code I found on the net. I worked the trigger to a crisp 2.5 lbs, and cut the barrel to 20" myself. After selling off the unused parts I have $445 in my rifle excluding scope. I should be able to sell the headspace gauges and cheap factory scope and subtract another $35. So, total will be $410 including all taxes and shipping costs.

308 barrels sell fast on the savageshooters forum.

You have given me a lot of useful information and ideas, and I will check out the savageshooters forum and keep my eyes open. I already have the NOE version of the 200gr. RCBS mold I bought for my .357 Max Contender and on the waiting list for another GB in planning for this project, along with a lot of .308 brass to make up cases so I'm really wanting to get started on this one. I appreciate how much you and others have shared with your builds and hope to do the same.

Winston S. Churchill

Banned

Wow, you guys have me inspired with those tight groups. Today was the second range trip for my new to me Savage 99. Haven't done any serious loading for it yet, just some light loads, but soon, load development will begin in earnest.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    35 Shooter you want to know something odd. The first rifle I had built was a .35 Whelen and then the .358 Winchester and that if I had the .358 Winchester built first I would not have messed with the 35 Whelen. The 358 Winchester is that good.
    Jester if i was building a short action rifle to hunt anything anywhere it'd be the .358 winny. My story is kind of the reverse of yours though, I was looking for a .358 bbl. for my Encore and couldn't find one before hunting season but did find a 35 whelen bbl. that was a perfect fit on my frame and it wound up being a shooter for sure so alls well. Still would like to have a winny to go with it though.
    One thing's for sure, that .358 of yours doesn't look like a Steven's 200 anymore!

35 Shooter yep a few things were changed. I call it kickstand of which I think is pretty obvious why lol. I made my handle a bit long lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Buddy
    Good thread, I may need one of these.

Boolit Master
    I have a 18.5'' and a 22'' -- do not think the cast boolits care from what I can tell, about the length -- the 18.5'' Ruger is a smooth operator in the woods -- but does lose vel. with JSP -- with cast boolits should not be a problem -- the 22'' is a Weatherbye Vanguard but the action is longer, so feels different-it does gain about 175 fps+ and it too does well with cast although I have not really tried too hard with either one -- did kill a doe with the 18.5'' and a 245 gr cast-- personally I like the 20'' or with 22'' especially with the smaller Ruger action-- I once had a chance at a 22'' Ruger M-77 358 but no funds but really wanted that one -- still ''Roy" is my favorite

Boolit Buddy
    Here's mine built on a Savage 10 action. It's a 20" McGowen barrel, Timney trigger and bedded in a Bishop stock. Burris FFII 3-9x40mm perched on top in Leupold bases and rings. Shoots under 1" @ 200yds with 180gr Hornady SSP jacketed over a stiff charge of Ramshot TAC lit with a Federeal magnum match lr primer. I forget the velocity, but iirc it's just over 2900fps so a shorter barrel isn't necessarily a detriment to speed. Can't wait to do some boolit shooting. I have an RCBS 35-200 nowand an NOE 359-190-RF ranch dog style mold that should be delivered tomorrow. Just need to cast some up. Carries and handles nice, isn't too bad for weight and the barrel profile looks similar to the one being discussed here. I love this thing!

Boolit Grand Master

Nicely done, sawzall. Methinks I need to try it out on a few Texas piggies and whitetails, would you mind letting me borrow it for a year or three?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow, I managed to keep my size 14 feet and fat gut out of the picture and my kid got his toes in it

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Nicely done, sawzall. Methinks I need to try it out on a few Texas piggies and whitetails, would you mind letting me borrow it for a year or three?
    Sure, I'll send it to you for load development and then you can send it back with a whole bunch of boolits ready to load!

Boolit Grand Master

Sure, I'll send it to you for load development and then you can send it back with a whole bunch of boolits ready to load!-sawzall

Seems I have a RD 359-190 and a 360-230 Thor on hand and a NOE 360318 on the way. No brass or dies but I think I have some powders and primers that will work, lol. Not sure I can get some of my almost-famous Italian sausage (made from wild pork) back across the border but we could try.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Seems I have a RD 359-190 and a 360-230 Thor on hand and a NOE 360318 on the way. No brass or dies but I think I have some powders and primers that will work, lol. Not sure I can get some of my almost-famous Italian sausage (made from wild pork) back across the border but we could try.
    I'm pretty sure we would have a lot more luck sending the sausage across the border than the rifle and boolits! Now you're making me hungry for sausage!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sawzall View Post
    I'm pretty sure we would have a lot more luck sending the sausage across the border than the rifle and boolits! Now you're making me hungry for sausage!
    My top-secret recipe is in the cooking section. All kidding aside, that is one handsome rifle. I've known there is a Savage build in my future but until this thread I hadn't realized what the chambering would be. Had some stupid idea about .223 but I've gotten over it.

My top-secret recipe is in the cooking section. All kidding aside, that is one handsome rifle. I've known there is a Savage build in my future but until this thread I hadn't realized what the chambering would be. Had some stupid idea about .223 but I've gotten over it.
    A .223 in TEXAS what are you going to hunt Squirrels lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    A .223 in TEXAS what are you going to hunt Squirrels lol.
    I honestly don't know. I think it was something along the lines if a very accurate sporter-type target rifle. I have a Contender bbl that outshoots most .223 rifles with any reasonable load and it hasn't been out of the safe in 20+ years so I obviously wasn't thinking clearly.
    I hunt squirrels with a 45-70 BTW. They think they're pretty smart when they run around to the other side up the tree, lol.

Hey I won a bet like that lol. A 10" Mesquite Tree and a Hog with 1 Shot from a little tiny Mouse round from a 45-70 lol.

Boolit Grand Master

Back to the OP I wonder if Savage made a 10 in .308 with a heavy barrel? A rebore by JES would be a good option if that was the case.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast