Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eddystone questions.

Eddystone questions.

A friend of mine has one that he wants to sell and I was wondering what a fair price would be. Also is there anything I should know about them? How do they shoot? Any good for cast? I know, I know, I need another '06 like I need another hole in my head, but hey, I'm an addict.

Thanks!!

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

I had one back in the late 60s, a minty 2groove gun. It was a fine shooter though I did not cast for it yet in those days. Wish I still had it; stolen by an ungrateful lout.

Boolit Master

As I recall certain serial numbers of Eddystone rifles were not heat treated properly and are deemed not safe to shoot.

I learned a few things from a wwII veteran gunshop owner some years back. I remember him talking about the eddystones cracking when removing the barrel. They are hard. I believe you are referring to the low number springfields which were not properly heat treated and are considered unsafe.

Boolit Master

Take the receiver out of the wood and very carefully look at where the barrel screws into the receiver ( extension ), look very carefully, all around, and use a small glass if you need.
    99.9 percent of Eddystones are just fine and will never give a problem but there are those few out there because of the primitive heat treatment of the time will show a crack. Yes they exist, can show you one.
    If you think you might have one that might show a crack but are in doubt. Soak the receiver with barrel in a can of regular gasoline for a couple of hours, then quickly take it out and as fast as you can wipe off the gas. Keep an eye on what you think might be a crack and if it is, it will show a small wet line where the crack would be. No wet line, no crack.
    If you get a good Eddystone, you have a darn good action but there are those few out there.
    Facta non verba

A buddy bought one out here in California about two years ago, and I think he paid about $500. It came with a bayonet and scabbard, so I thought it was a pretty good deal. I bought one with a cut stock about 10 or 12 years ago for $275, then I found an unaltered stock for $75. I'm like you, I have so many 30-06s that I rarely shoot the thing. I don't have a particular load for mine, but a 311299 or similar would be a good place to start.

Thanks guys. I think I might show him the blue book on it and maybe that will knock some sense in him cuz the price he is asking is crazy. I mean come on, $150? I will have to check the fun money to see if I can offer him close to what it is worth. I would like to think that I would do this for everyone but I have know him for most of my life. We do alot of hunting and fishing together and he is one of the few people that I could call a true friend.

Thanks again and keep em coming!

Jerry Jr.

I made a mistake. I just checked my old emails and found the one where I told my buddy about the Eddystone.

On Apr 7, 2011, at 6:28 PM, <Deleted> wrote:
    I just saw an Enfield M1917 made at Eddystone for $350. It includes the bayonet, which I didn't see. The cartouche is still visible on the stock and it has an old leather sling, probably from WWII. I think I paid $275 for mine and it had a butchered stock. I spent another $60 or $70 on a replacement and I still don't have a bayonet. Looks like a good deal to me.
    It was $350, not $500. I hope I didn't screw up your deal.

Sorry,
    Jeff

I sold mine, a decade back, and was happy for the $50. It was sporterized and all the metal painted black.
    Oh, well. Been there, done that, will probably do it again. Soon.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by seaboltm View Post
    As I recall certain serial numbers of Eddystone rifles were not heat treated properly and are deemed not safe to shoot.
    this is not correct. its the early 1903's that were improperly heat treated. now some 1917's have cracked, but its while they are be rebarreled- nothing to do with shooting them.

Boolit Master
    Springfields not M 1917 American Enfields had bad heat treatment

Boolit Master
    Orginal barrels are 5 grove. .310 not 308 Rebarreled in WWII with .308 barrels

Boolit Master
    Mine with a cast 314299 shoots very good

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    Springfields not M 1917 American Enfields had bad heat treatment
    Sorry, Yes, low number Springfield's and early Rock Island's had some questionable heat treat but also some of the Eddystone 1917's also had this problem. NOT Remington or Winchester, have never seen a bad one, just Eddystones, have seen several and have one receiver in front of me right now. Generally these were not rebarreled rifles.
    The torque specs on the factory fit of the initial barrels was quite high. Get a bit of brittleness on that front ring shell and the rifle could ( and most did ) go for many years before tide and time caught up with it and the metal would crack.
    This is only on very -very few Eddystones. I am of the opinion that if it hasn't cracked by now, it most likely won't especially the way barrels are fitted now.
    A visual and the "can of gas" check is all one needs to simply check . All that I have seen, the crack is very visual.
    Facta non verba

The Eddystone Arsenal did turn out some weak ones from what I recall reading many rears ago but can't recall the numbers to be on the lookout for. I'm sure a google search would turn it up.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Buddy
    I have one. My favorite rifle. I shoot a Lyman 314299 or the 311644 sized to .311. I use 13 grains of Unique. Out to 200 shoots great low recoil. Even the kids have fun with it..

Banned

at a gunshow a fellow bought one for $600 and he was tickled to death with it.

I would say the going rate is around $400 to $550 or depending on condition and markings.

Ok a little update. I have been informed that the stock has been cut down. Also there are two of us that are looking are considering it but, go figure neither wants to offend the other. He wants to put it together with an original stock and I really don't care. I just want to make sure that my buddy gets a fair deal selling it.

Thanks for all the help!

Jerry Jr.

Moderator Emeritus

I haven't seen an unmolested 1917 at a gunshow for less than $600 for a few years.
    Now sporterized...that's a hole nuther thang.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

sporterized, pictured need to be involved for a more accurate reading.