Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Marlin 1895 variant?

Boolit Master

Which Marlin 1895 variant?

So I have been reading this section, and y'all are a bad influence. Anyway, there have been many recent threads recommending a .45-70 over just about any other caliber in the Marlin lever-actions. Well, I can't do anything anytime soon, but figure on saving a few dollars here and there and hopefully get one before anything else exciting happens in my life. So anyway, a friend showed me his 1895 Guide Gun recently, and got me thinking, and looking. The Marlin website shows 4 variants of the Guide Gun, all with 18"ish barrels. The two basic variants are the partial magazine tube (4+1 capacity) with a straight grip and standard lever, and a full-length magazine tube (6+1) with a larger lever. And these are both available in blued and stainless. I have read all about the Remlin problems, and know to inspect everything very carefully, but all that aside, and IF I can save the cash and then find a good example, which of these variants would you choose and why? I have to admit that I tend to prefer stainless guns for the added corrosion resistance, and like the lines of the full length magazine tube, but I have several blued guns and usually don't need more than one shot while hunting, so nothing is set in stone other than the caliber and brand. I have the H&R BC in .45-70, so understand the capability and recoil of the round at the various levels, but still trying to figure out which would be best for my use. I currently live in Texas, but hope to someday get an opportunity to do some traveling so this is kind of a any-game, any-place kind of big game rifle--without any specific places or game planned, but hoping for elk, moose, bison hunting some day. So what which would you get and why?
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

I think it boils down to what you like. They will all work just fine. I have the straight grip and short tube because I like the looks of it, no other reason. The short barrel should be a little handier for hunting but the long barrel does balance well. I recently picked up a .308 marlin express and I see what all the long barrel proponents are talking about. It just hangs there steady.

I don't like the big loop because I don't see the functional improvement. Perhaps if I were wearing mittens fashioned from an entire beaver or something. They just seem wrong to me, but hey, whatever folks want. I think it's great we still have choices.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

When I first went on my 45-70 quest I wanted the SBL. Stainless, full length mag tube and large lever. I couldn't find one that wasn't a Remington that was priced fairly. I ended up buying a standard Guide Gun. I don't regret it at all. It is a JM stamped, works perfectly and shoots anything I put through it. I do still want a larger lever though. Hunting seasons get kinda cold here requiring larger than normal gloves.

Key
    "Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"

I started with a 1895SS Plain ol Marlin. Had cowboy had GG now back to a plain ol 1895SS
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Grand Master
    I have, and prefer, the plain old 1895.

definatly don't want a muzzle brake
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Master
    I absolutely hate muzzle brakes on anything that gets used in the field. Now if it was a .50BMG I was trying to shoot offhand, I might consider one, but a .45-70 doesn't come close to needing one. So a muzzle-brake on a .45-70 is a deal-breaker for me unless I get a good enough deal to make it worth cutting off the brake and remount the front sight.

Boolit Master
    As to the big loop lever, I don't really like them, but do see the utility for much colder climates than I have here in Texas, but I don't think I would turn one down as I do want to go on a hunt or two up in Alaska or Canada someday. Like I said earlier, no set plans as I don't have the money for it right now, but it would be nice to do it someday if that changes. So the SBL does look good and functional to me, but so does the standard SS GG.

Boolit Buddy
    I had wanted a 45/70 lever gun for years but didnt get serious till a couple of years ago. After checking out the different types of 45/70's out there I decided I liked the Marlin 1895 the best. Then I started reading about all the problems with them. My first choice was a STBL. I liked the look of the stainless with the walnut stock but could not find one other than the internet and you cant check it out by a picture. Next I choose a SBL 1895 but the ones I looked at had bad fitting furniture so I passed on them. The first I found that I really liked was a GBL 1895 and I bought it. The stock fit was nice and it funtioned well. Im very happy with it. It shoots great. Rick!

I'm A Honcho!
    Hello and good evening
    I have an 1895 guide gun that has the laminate stock, large loop, and long tube magazine. Same length as the barrel. It is a remlin and I have had no issues. I have had excellent luck with the lee 340 and 405 flat nose. The only thing I can say make sure you slug the bore. Mine is a .4575 bore and needed a little larger bullet. It is a ton of fun. You can go from very mild and fun to plink. To ring your bell and make your eyes water loads.
    Wasalmonslayer

In Remembrance

I have been wondering if the large loop would help with my main gripe with my gg. I have not been able to grip it tight enough to keep it from knocking my fingers numb when shooting hot loads. Does the large loop have any more clearence? This is with straight grip and it does have porting.

Boolit Buddy
    1895 GS 45/70 because it is beautiful.

If you wander over to the Marlin Owner's forum, you will find NO ONE is buying Remlins, those that do are returning them.
    The quality control is so bad, I kiss my 2002 JM GG every time I open the safe.

If you want the best 45/70 lever on the market currently, I'd suggest you look into Henry's thumper, a lot on the Marlin board are.
    Did I mention its the last 100% USA made rifle sold today?

Like Yoda said: "there is another"

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-45-70.cfm

Or find a pre 2006 JM 1895
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

People are still buying new "Marlins" up here. I see them come into the stores as few at a time, and they always sell off within a month or two. I've looked at them, and just can't do it. The fit is not very good, and the sights on some of them are off at 11 o'clock. Not terribly smooth, but I'm sure that can probably be cleaned up. If I could find one that was put together well, I'd go for it. The Henry's are very very nice. But I don't like the magazine set-up.

My personal choice is the straight stock, blued. I like the trimmer lines and the feel of it better. I really like the look of the GG, but with a full length magazine, and no porting.

Boolit Master
    I've had the 1895 in just about all the variations . I started with the 1895CB and liked it . Next I got a couple of the 1895G version both ported and unported . The ports don't bother me as I shot skeet and trap for years with ported guns . I also had the standard 1895 and 1895XLR of recent manufacture . But I think the two I liked the most were two of the original version of the "New Model 1895" one of these was made in 1972 and the other in 1978 . hey had 22" barrels straight grip stock and a semi curved hard rubber buttplate . The 1972 rifle had ballard rifling and the 1978 rifle had Micro Groove . Only thing against them , when I had some of my hotter loads that semi curved hard rubber buttplate could be a little hard on the shoulder . I remedied that however by acquiring and extra stock and putting a KickEez pad on it , worked great at the bench .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

I have both the 1895 GS and the 1895 cowboy. The cowboy sits in the safe and the GS goes often on hunting trips. It (GS) has done well and I enjoy shooting it.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Groo here
    I was Lucky in that both mine are JM's.
    The first is an original blued 45-70 that SSK went over for me.
    K-cromed [aka metallife] tuned , barrel cut to 16in and Arrestor brake .
    The brake allows the gun to shoot any load with just a t-shirt and stops all muzzle rise.
    Just not for cast.
    The other is a Davison limited SS 16in with full mag. Mt fave with lighter loads.
    The only other one I might like is the Rifle version in SS.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I really like my 1978 1895. It came with the afore mentioned curved buttplate (why they thought that was a good idea I don't know) which I replaced with later Guide Gun furniture and a nice recoil pad. My rifle has unnamed Micro Groove rifling and shoots cast very well, in fact it has seen no factory ammo since I bought it 10 years ago. Paid $425.00 for it with probably 99% finish remaining!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

YMMV - I've owned/shot/hunted with several different .45-70 Marlin's since the early 70's, including a Guide Gun.

The one I liked best happens to be the standard 22" round bbl/2/3 magazine rifle - although those octagon-barreled LTD's (Grade I through Grade V) are very attractive (to me).

Boolit Grand Master

I've had a ported Guide Gun for years, it's an awesome hunting rifle and it's not going anywhere anytime soon. That said, I'm sure I could make room for a Cowboy and I like the pistol grip on the new Remlin Guide Guns. Only 1895 I don't have a hankerin' for is the stainless gun.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast