Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Those pesky in-betweeners

Boolit Master

Those pesky in-betweeners

I cast and loaded a huge batch of 38 boolets today and lubed a few hundred. I was planning to change lubes in my sizer when I ran out the batch that was in it, so when the piston bottomed out I put in a stick of my latest mix (Fryxell's Moly-Graph formula in this case) and resumed sizing.

I never cease to be amazed by how much lube is still hiding inside the sizer even when the reservoir is empty. I would estimate I lubed 200 more boolets before I began seeing the new lube appear in the grooves. Now, in the case of pistol boolets these "in-betweeners" that have a mix of two different lubes aren't a concern, but for rifle boolets there might be enough of a difference that long range accuracy could go all goofy.

With my luck I can imagine shooting perfect groups with the mixed up lube that would never be repeatable. Do any of you rifle shooters segregate the in-betweeners or do all of you completely clean out your sizers when changing lube?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

figure in a empty sizer over half of the first stick fills the bottom and the die ( give or take .4 to .7-ish of a ounce ) i always figure for a complete fill up to have at least two sticks handy and maybe a knife to cut the second down to fit

depends upon the lube properties , if similar eh not so problematic , if totally switching lube or doing lube test i clean it out
    awhile back i saw a foto someone posted that had different colored lube in each groove [shrugz]
    the real prolblem with this is as the percentages of each change on the sized boolit which would of been the magic combo ?
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Banned

I push the old lube out the hole provided on the stars.
    if I'm doing a lube test I lube by hand and just size the hand lubed boolits, you get pretty good at it after enough practice.

Boolit Grand Master

I had to read this to find out what the heck an in-betweener was. Now I know!

Banned

It means something different in the Appalachians, Austin, and San Francisco.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    It means something different in the Appalachians, Austin, and San Francisco.

Gear
    Yeah, but in the Appalachians (where I grew up) the adjective preceding the term was never "pesky".
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Use the tweeners for plinking.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

bhn22
    When I switched from Carnuba Red to LBT Soft Blue, I had multicolored swirl art for weeks. It was kind of cool. I still get a spot of red once in a while.