RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Boundary Waters Canoe Area

Boolit Buddy

Boundary Waters Canoe Area

Anyone have knowledge of the BWCAW? I have looked into the area and plan to go this fall. I see Ely is a major destination, is that the best place to start a trip or is it over-used? Also would like to know when the best time to harvest wild rice in the area.

Thanks for any information.

I went up there with the boy scouts years ago. Ely is a nice town. The canoeing is totally amazing and has some of the clearest water I've ever seen. Camp grounds are located basically on every lake and are nice. You won't be dissappointed with the trip.

Take bug spray though the misquitos were horrible so pants and long sleeves help. Enjoy it was my favorite trip I've ever taken

Wild Rice harvesting is regulated.
    http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulatio...ice/index.html

As is entry to the BWCA, for that matter.
    http://bwca.cc/tripplanning/reservations.htm

Ely is the major hub of the canoe rental outfits. It can be busy during the peak season.

If your focus is fishing over back-country canoeing, you can also rent houseboats in places like International Falls or Lake Vermillion.

-ktw

Boolit Master

Is there a way to enjoy BWCA and not portage a lot.

Two old farts wanta fish and enjoy, not carry stuff.

Fishing/camping/Goofing off of prime concern, over canoeing and especially portaging.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 10-15-2015 at 11:34 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Perm-Banned
    only so many people are allowed in the boundry water areas in one season, they are usually booked up months ahead. if you want to go their, book it months ahead or you wont be allowed in. i wouldnt think you would be allowed to harvest wild rice. im sure that is very regulated also. when we are in northern minn. we buy it from a harvester, they usually have a little store attached to their warehouse where they store wild rice. natives have the right im sure in alot of the areas. if you cant get in the boundry waters you can go to lake winnie and camp, bring a boat and go west along the north shore and camp on the shore. no cabins their. the lake is large, about 100 square miles of lake. lots and lots of bears. saw a lot of people doing just that. camping along the north shore in tents and useing a boat to travel the lake. their is more to minn. in the north than the boundry waters. remember bears, moose, cougars, and wolves are wild animals and not pets. be prepared. you will incounter them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Is there a way to enjoy BWCA and stay out of Canada at the same time?
    Fishing/camping/Goofing off of prime concern, over canoeing.
    The BWCAW is the US side. It is contiguous with Quetico Provincial Park on the Canadian site. If you go to Quetico you have to go through customs at the Ranger Station. I've done both. Easiest just to stay stateside. The BWCAW has fire grates and latrines at the designated campsites. Canada has nothing. I highly recommend getting motored up Moose, Newfound, and Sucker Lakes to the cutoff for motored boats. Saves a lot of paddling and lets you get a big jump on the trip. You can then follow the border up to Knife Lake and beyond. You can get really isolated if you want or stay on the main lakes. The three times I've been there, we've always set up a base camp and made day trips to fish and sightsee. Much easier than paddling a loaded canoe for a week straight. Enjoy!