RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 40 cal lever action

40 cal lever action

Is there such a beast? What about 9mm and 45 acp?

Boolit Grand Master
    Marlin made a few in 41 mag. They also make 357 and 45 Colt models.

Those are pretty much 40, 9 mm, and 45 ACP just in different clothes.

Boolit Master
    I had a couple Marlin 1895's that were pre 1900 one was in 40-65 and the other was a 40-82 .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    38 WCF is 40 cal.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Attachment 93332

I have a Marlin 1894 which John Taylor converted to .45 ACP for me.

Attachment 93330

Attachment 93331
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-12-2014 at 01:42 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    How about a Marlin 336 in caliber .414 Supermag. Or a 336 Marlin in caliber .41-444 (.412 JES).
    Did someone mention a Winchester 1895 in caliber .405 ?
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Although tougher to find, the Winchesters 1886 in 40-70, and the 1895 in 40-72. And yes, the old 38-40 is probably my favorite 40 caliber levergun caliber.

Ed

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Mike, the Davidson's run of these in 41 mag would easily be converted to 414 because of the very, very generous freebore and magazine and bolt throw. I say this because the seating I've done for the mag can be long and the gun worked fine. ... felix
    felix

I'm asking about 40 S&W.
    With all the cheap brass I thought there might be a fun gun to be had.

Boolit Master
    I would love it if Rossi would make a .41 mag. I know others have expressed interest also.

Quote Originally Posted by zuke View Post
    I'm asking about 40 S&W.
    With all the cheap brass I thought there might be a fun gun to be had.
    I think the basic question here is whether rimless pistol cartridge is possible in a tube-fed lever rifle. A 92 converted to 7.62x25 was recently the subject of a thread on this forum so it is possible. I looked (casually) into rimless conversions and it seems to require a lot of tinkering, with no OTS parts available for the mods.

I do not have a 92 at hand here but if the lever could be made to clear a pistol box mag, it would eliminate the tube mag/lifter issues. The tube could be replaced with a forearm hanger, and the bbl floated. But I don't think a box would clear the lever. Unless the lever could be reshaped and/or short-stroked somehow. If you do this, make a second kit to pay me for the idea . . .

Boolit Master
    I doubt you'll see a factory 40-cal S&W lever rifle anytime soon. Although Ruger made a 44 mag levered rifle called the model 96. Could also digest 44 Specials which was handy for reduced target loads. A nice light and little 4 shot rifle now discontinued.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    38 WCF is 40 cal.
    Thank you! My buddy was shooting his 92 today, has a nice pair of 1873's made in late 1880's as well. 92 had issues today but 21grs of FFg and a cast boolit lets these old rifles show us how it's supposed to be done!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I don't see why a 40 S&W lever wouldn't be possible. A likely candidate for conversion would be a .357 as the rim size is very close. New barrel and some adjustments to fine tune feeding of the shorter cartridge and things should function well. I'd think there would be a shorter mag tube to keep capacity at 10 rounds for sale to CA and other such silly places.

I'd rather have a lever in 38-40 to go with my Vaquero that has an extra cylinder for 40 S&W. I have a Marlin in 41 mag and need a Ruger BlackHawk to go with it. Too bad they never made the vaquero in .41. Oh ya, a lever in 10mm would be way cool.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

While I would not discourage a manufacturer from making a .40S&W lever gun I am not sure where the market would be. Cowboy action is well served with the .38/347Mag and 45Colt carbines in various models. The .40cal would offer not a whole lot more than the .357Mag/.44Mag cartridges for hunting. I t seems to me it would be chasing a small niche market as a novelty rifle with no real home.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master
    You're in friendly AR-15 country with the 40 S&W. Check out Rock River Arms for upper units and mags to run them with.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    I always thought that a .30-30 converted to a straight walled cartridge would make a good levergun cartridge.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    You're in friendly AR-15 country with the 40 S&W. Check out Rock River Arms for upper units and mags to run them with.
    The Beretta Storm comes in .40cal. I have the 9MM version. Not sure why but maybe there is something to the Zombie thing...

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamDahl View Post
    I always thought that a .30-30 converted to a straight walled cartridge would make a good levergun cartridge.
    Didn't do to bad in it's present form.

Take Care

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamDahl View Post
    That's a 375 win also known as the 94 win big bore. Great cartridge btw
    High Hook