RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More proof, Dacron works!

Boolit Master
    That group mirrors my Lee Enfield groups,I also use WGF with the same result. Pat

35 shooter I assume Al. Checks? I think the hornadys needs a higher annealing temp. The idea came from the GC thread, not me.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    35 shooter I assume Al. Checks? I think the hornadys needs a higher annealing temp. The idea came from the GC thread, not me.
    Yes, they were aluminum and that was the first time i've gotten em to shoot well much past 1800 fps. I may not shoot as tight a group next time but it's sure looking stable so far. I just keep picking up on all these tips you guys post and it all keeps coming together.

Boolit Grand Master
    I never would have imagined a group could be tightened up like that?? The picture says it all!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    Psst, don't tell Joe!
    I sure won't
    Charter Member #148

GEEEZZZ just go to wally world and buy a cheap $4 dacron filled pillow... read the label silly!! IT SAYS DACRON FILL.
    You have a veritable lifetime of dacron pinches for loading, PLUS a storage bag!!
    WHOO HOO!!!
    AFTER AWHILE YOU KNOW WHAT PINCH WORKS...30-30 TO 45-70.
    And if you shoot cast bullets the dacron substantially reduces or eliminates leading..though I've never had that problem...
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    quick touch on the basics of using Dacron.
    make absolutely sure it touches the powder and is compressed slightly by the base of the boolit.
    the Dacron has a sealing quality to it and it helps protect the base of the boolit, as well as reducing the capacity of the case.

work up the loads using the Dacron or use it as a "next-step" when ladder testing.
    but don't just add it into a border line load expecting miracles, and definitely do not assume the pressures will remain the same as adding a next step of powder.
    When folk say hack off a hunk & put it into the case on top of the powder They have to be weighing this hunk, correct? Otherwise the case capacity would be inconsistant, I would think. How big of a hunk, for let's say a 8x57 load? Does anyone have the link to Larry's posting on Dacron fillers?
    Thanks
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    Is it Dacron or Polyester fill? If it is "Dacron" Where did you get it? I am curious.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    When folk say hack off a hunk & put it into the case on top of the powder They have to be weighing this hunk, correct? Otherwise the case capacity would be inconsistant, I would think. How big of a hunk, for let's say a 8x57 load? Does anyone have the link to Larry's posting on Dacron fillers?
    Thanks
    Post #4 in; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...use-of-fillers

The filler is used by volume actually and not by weight. Problem is that is hard to visualize in print. Thus I usually say 1/2 - 3/4 gr for a .308 to '06 size case. In the filler sticky I explain how I do cut various samples of different weight and keep them as a "visual whn i cut chunks for what is needed to fill the air space. The size of the filler does not have to be exact in weight. The size has to be just enough to fill the air space. A little more doesn't hurt or affect anything. Too little can. Key is to use just enough. It's not as difficult as it sounds. It's actually very easy to use.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 02-26-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Is it Dacron or Polyester fill? If it is "Dacron" Where did you get it? I am curious.
    Dacron is a trade name for polyester, Dupont's if I recall correctly.

Get in fabric stores or in fabric departments in department stores like WalMart. A $3-5 bag of "batting" will do a lot of cartridges. Read the above posted sticky on how I cut the batting into strips and then chunks.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master

When I was first starting to use cast in 30-06 to get a functioning load for my Garand I was using Accurate 2520 because I liked the way it flowed from my powder measure and I thought that It would be a good burn rate for getting full function. I did get good functioning easily but experienced severe vertical stringing. On Larrys advice I reduced the load slightly and added a filler and the vertical stringing went away. People at the range do wonder what all that cloud of smoke and debris issuing from the muzzle is all about though. One guy wondered if I was using black powder. Sometimes I explain, sometimes I let them wonder. Filler use will increase pressure per given powder charge so you have to reduce and work back up to remain safe. Pressure is not your enemy if you use your head and control it. I look at it as a fuel saving measure because it takes less powder to achieve the same results, and it increases the uniformity of the burn.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

something I have used with great success if the foam backer rods found at Home Depot. These are round lengths of some kind of foam.
    I cut on 1/8" disks of foam and put them over the powder charge. They keep the powder from going everywhere in the case.
    Have used it in smokeless .45-70 as well as black powder .45 Colt rounds.
    Every once in a while if your watching from the side you can see one leave the barrel. Never have found any on the ground as I believe they burn up or melt in the blast.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    something I have used with great success if the foam backer rods found at Home Depot. These are round lengths of some kind of foam.
    I cut on 1/8" disks of foam and put them over the powder charge. They keep the powder from going everywhere in the case.
    Have used it in smokeless .45-70 as well as black powder .45 Colt rounds.
    Every once in a while if your watching from the side you can see one leave the barrel. Never have found any on the ground as I believe they burn up or melt in the blast.
    Foam rods such as this one?

I bought a bag this morning, and it is a "perfect" light press fit to a 45-70 fully fired case:

I have some light loads I want to build, and this stuff seems ideal for this case.

Will

The guy needs to write his own book on cast boolits. I know I'd buy it!
    I'll second that! larry, you have done a lot of work and have gained a lot of experience and knowledge and you have offered that here on Cast Boolits quite freely. Writing a book would seem to be quite appropriate. Half of it is already written in your posts if you filter through all of them. I think our members here would be honoured should you write such a book.

About Dacron versus polyester, Dacron is polyester but not necessarily the other way around. Polyester can be quite course and that you don't want. That's why I specify Dacron but any brand name will do is it has fine fibres.

About Dacron making 'smoke' or fluff at the muzzle, some loads melts it into a round ball which one wouldn't be able to find on a range but I find it in my firing tube. I'm wondering whether it works as well if it does melt?

I've used Dacron with a little more density specifically to protect the boolit base and found it to work well with quite low pressure.

Dacron seems to have three benefits;
    1/ Consistent burn
    2/ Boolit base buffering
    3/ Preventing powder spills

What's not to like?
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Post #4 in; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...use-of-fillers

The filler is used by volume actually and not by weight. Problem is that is hard to visualize in print. Thus I usually say 1/2 - 3/4 gr for a .308 to '06 size case. In the filler sticky I explain how I do cut various samples of different weight and keep them as a "visual whn i cut chunks for what is needed to fill the air space. The size of the filler does not have to be exact in weight. The size has to be just enough to fill the air space. A little more doesn't hurt or affect anything. Too little can. Key is to use just enough. It's not as difficult as it sounds. It's actually very easy to use.

Larry Gibson
    My wife is a quilter so I don't even need to go to the store, just ask her for a high loft piece of polyester batting. I loaded up my first in 8x57 and 7.64x54R this past week. I actually weighed mine, ending up with .7 gr in the 8x57 and about .6 gr in the 7.62x54R. With a little time I'll get the feel for volume and do that. I did 20 of each and they are ready to shoot, just waiting for a shooting day and looking forward to it. Thanks a bunch!

Jeffg like you I have been weighing mine just so I can get an idea of how big a .75gr chunk is.

It does seem to be making a difference so I'll continue with this for a while.

Old timers at the club used cardboard wad and cream of wheat in there 30/06 loads for years.

Boolit Master

One more piece of advice:

Do not shoot 'em into the wind.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    One more piece of advice:

Do not shoot 'em into the wind.

Hahaha, that reminds me of seeing the leaves catch fire on the ground out in front of the muzzle loader one fall after a patch fell on the ground smoldering. I think it happened more than once.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Jeffg like you I have been weighing mine just so I can get an idea of how big a .75gr chunk is.

It does seem to be making a difference so I'll continue with this for a while.
    Eventually I'll get a warm fuzzy and just go with it. I can see myself measuring already to cut all of them the same size though, just the way I am for better or worse.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast