RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More proof, Dacron works!

Banned

More proof, Dacron works!

Larry is really onto something here! I am shooting a win 94 with the RCBS 30-180-FN shooting 22 gr of H-4198 the first load was as such and the second with 3/4 gr of dacron. This was shot at 50 yds with a 66a reciever sight.

Look at the crazy difference! It really is a great idea that will put meat on the table all day every day.

Banned

Fudge, ignore those pics that say 4831..... I was nutz at the range and then forgot it is

H -4198

Boolit Grand Master
    Is that my box you're shooting at ?
    I hope you took the cast bullets out 1st ?

Ben

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Is that my box you're shooting at ?
    I hope you took the cast bullets out 1st ?

Ben
    your thread is next! Wait till you see it!

This is interesting . Always read about Dacron , just not sure which one to use.

Pete

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by phaessler View Post
    This is interesting . Always read about Dacron , just not sure which one to use.

Pete
    I dont care how it works, but it does work great, all of my loads I try it in shrink. That is a fact.

Typically wallyworld quilting material?

Psst, don't tell Joe!
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by phaessler View Post
    Typically wallyworld quilting material?
    Yes I got mine from wally world, it isnt "dacron" brand but hey it works

I gotta tell you, larry got me doing it too... And i thought he was nutz.... Dryer lint, dacron.... I asked "what the heck is dacron", now there is a big bag of it permanently stationed next to the reloading bench. Another example of experience talking.... Experience.... It is awesome...

AG

I'll have to give in and try this, I already have a load for my K31 using SPP210, which is about the same burn rate as 4198, that'll shoot 1" @100yds all day. If it'll tighten that group up as much as it did yours, I ought to come close to the one hole 10 shot group.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Using dacron fillers when appropriate according to Larry Gibson's instructions cut my groups in half or better. Of course i keep running into the rpm thingy he predicts too. Plus he predicted about what speed i would begin to run into trouble maintaing accuracy with aluminum checks too....so far he was right on that too. The guy needs to write his own book on cast boolits. I know i'd buy it!

Boolit Buddy
    35 shooter, what velocity did you run into problems with the aluminum checks? Not to hijack the thread but I have been thinking about getting some of the various check makers you see on this forum and haven't heard of a velocity limit before. thanks 308w

Banned

I have not found accuracy issues with my aluminum checks, but I normally only run to 2300 fps in 30 cals or larger.

Quote Originally Posted by 308w View Post
    35 shooter, what velocity did you run into problems with the aluminum checks? Not to hijack the thread but I have been thinking about getting some of the various check makers you see on this forum and haven't heard of a velocity limit before. thanks 308w
    308 i don't think there is necissarily a speed limit per se as much as the hardness of the material used for the check. My roll of aluminum .014 ameri-max is pretty soft and so far i haven't got the kind of accurracy i want past 2200 fps. in 35 whelen. I can push to 2400 easily with hornady checks. In fairness tho, i haven't done any load development with al. checks, and was just shooting the same loads i developed for commercial checks. Seems some have gotten better speeds and others haven't.
    I just finished a thread on the gas check forum where i tested al. and lith checks today.Larry just said i may or may not run into trouble past 2200 fps. and just so happened so far i have. It's not a cut and dried thing i don't think. May just need a faster or slower powder to get there.

BTW i used the little free-chex tool you use with a hammer and it has worked great and would like to try a Pat Marlin tool too. The checks i've made so far have shot surprisingly well and i probably won't be buying anymore commercial..... By that i mean hornady's or lyman's.

It looks like 338 makes good checks you could try, judging from how well he shoots i wouldn't hesitate to give his a try.
    Last edited by 35 shooter; 02-10-2014 at 12:19 AM.

Wonder how annealing the checks effects accuracy? Yes filler works, I just use chewed up puppy toys, don't weigh, just tear off some.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I've got my first loads with dacron sitting on the bench waiting for a range trip.
    one in 7mm-08 and one in 308. Got 20 identical loads for each, 10 with & ten w/o dacron.
    Waiting on the weather

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    I've got my first loads with dacron sitting on the bench waiting for a range trip.
    one in 7mm-08 and one in 308. Got 20 identical loads for each, 10 with & ten w/o dacron.
    Waiting on the weather
    I have to admit, when I first sat down behind the first dacron load I was slightly nervous

Banned

quick touch on the basics of using Dacron.
    make absolutely sure it touches the powder and is compressed slightly by the base of the boolit.
    the Dacron has a sealing quality to it and it helps protect the base of the boolit, as well as reducing the capacity of the case.

work up the loads using the Dacron or use it as a "next-step" when ladder testing.
    but don't just add it into a border line load expecting miracles, and definitely do not assume the pressures will remain the same as adding a next step of powder.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Wonder how annealing the checks effects accuracy? Yes filler works, I just use chewed up puppy toys, don't weigh, just tear off some.
    popper thanks for throwing that out there. I annealed some at 400* degrees for an hour, let em air cool and sized em on. Must have taken some spring out of em cause their on almost as tight as hornadys now. At 1800 fps with a clean bbl. i got a 1.120" but the 2nd third, fourth, 5th shots were in .449" @ 100 yards. Don't know how fast 54 and 54.5 gr of imr 4350 is going with that same 200 gr. boolit but it shot both those loads into almost identical groups as the 1800 fps load. 1 clean bbl. flyer then a 4 shot jam each time with all those loads....Seriously popper thanks for that subtle hint. Man i'm jazzed up over this!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast