Load DataWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: More proof, Dacron works!

Quote Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
    Sorry about the loosey shooting
    Frank
    Frank , I was by no means putting down your shooting capibilities. I would also by no means want to be in competition with you. Only stating, just maybe, dacron would have helped those groups.

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Umm, no. Not unless you solder them on the shank.

Gear
    Gear, not questioning your expertise. But please school me as to what possibly could be happening to the gas check when hit from behind with 10-40000 psi and crimped to the lead by the inward force of the rifling. Now, I'm by no means a rocket scientist, but in allmy years of mechanical experience and training, I can bouce for what I learned in grade school, for every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. Under these conditions, while in the barrel the gc, in my experience does in fact add to the capibility of the lead to grip the rifling. Thus softer gc less strenght of that boolit and it's ability.

My appoligise for the drift.

Larry says:
    "that we all shall continue suing said fillers"

I didn't mean for you to take it as far as the US courts, Just don't use them.

Speaking of law, I do have a
    constitutional right to disagree, don't I? Me and a few thousand other, competition shooters can prove that they aren't needed to produce accuracy.

These fillers are about internal ballistic and if you have good internal ballistics by the proper use of compontents, what purpose do fillers have?

My extreme spread, measured over a 10 shot string, on a M43 is 8 fps, can you do better than that, with a filler?

I just got in from testing a new powder and this is my control group of 13.5 gr #9, it measures 1.055, shot at 200. I was testing VV110 and it didn't shoot well.

Frank
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.5 gr #9.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	117404

Boolit Grand Master

Frank

Obviously you didn't get the jest based on your "there" and "crouch".................

As to the Constitution Frank, I told you several times in my last post that you and your opinion were ok. I also told you with some combinations of powder, bullet and cartridge you are correct. Most all of us use such loads w/o a filler also. However, with the cartridge, bullet, rifle and powder the OP used he made his point also. "My extreme spread, measured over a 10 shot string, on a M43 is 8 fps, can you do better than that, with a filler?" The real question is, Frank, can YOU do that (answer your own question) with the rifle, cartridge, powder and cast bullet the OP used?

Your problem is, in this matter, only you are right and only what choose to use (left the pun out this time as you failed to get it last time) is correct. What others choose to use is wrong according to Frank. Unfortunately that is not reality. It obviously does not occur to you that many wish to use the powders they have, that they do not shoot at 100/200 yards for "record accuracy" only, they shoot from numerous positions and magazine feed the rounds instead of single loading, their rounds are not loaded into the rifle the same every time to position the powder, they wish to shoot at velocities other than the +/- 1400 fps you do and, most of all, that they do find the Dacron filler reduces the ES and SD of their loads and improves accuracy with what they want to use the way they want to use it. Not hard for the rest of us to understand Frank, apparently it is for you.

As I said before; feel free to do and use what you want. That however does not negate the obvious success the OP and the rest of us have using a filler, particularly a Dacron filler. So, don't we (as in all of us who use fillers correctly) "have a constitutional right to disagree" with you......don't we?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    "Crouch & Draw"

The last two shots I fired for qualification many moons ago.

I just got in from testing a new powder and this is my control group of 13.5 gr #9, it measures 1.055, shot at 200. I was testing VV110 and it didn't shoot well.
    Well if that load 'didn't do well' (I thought that was a pretty good group but I understand what you mean) then might I suggest you dry a tuft of Dacron filler and see how it compares? While I don't dispute what you are saying (in fact I agree with you) there definitely is a place for Dacron filler with cast boolit loads. I use Dacron even when the load density doesn't warrant it just to prevent powder spillage should the boolit get pulled out the case. I also use it to buffer the exposed lead base. Some of us have even experimented with reactive fillers with good success. I do believe this is the ultimate way to go but reactive fillers do add cost but also produce higher velocity.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Any issues with Dacron in an AR-style gas system?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    Well my wife does not like fake fiber, so we have a lot of cotton batting, any one used it?
    I have been using a bag of Bamboo fiber that should last me until the next century--if I shoot a lot. I have used cotton in the past, but it compacts more than the bamboo or polyester. I will add that the bamboo is only being used because I asked my wife for some quilting batting when she was going to Joanna's and that is what she brought me. Domestic tranquility has its price.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    Any issues with Dacron in an AR-style gas system?
    Not had any problems after 35+ years and untold rounds through numerous ARs and M16s.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    Perfect. Thanks Larry.
    -jp

I have been using a bag of Bamboo fiber ...
    I'd like to know more about this.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234