RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Newbee's Star Sizer questions

Newbee's Star Sizer questions

Hello everyone...I've been shooting cast bullets for quite a while now in my pistols, but now I'm seriously thinking of casting my own. I find that cast bullets are not only economical but VERY accurate. I've melted lead for many years making decoy weights, sinkers, etc., but I do realize casting bullets is much more involved and requires some research and knowledge before I go crazy and make a fool out of myself.

I've been on YouTube all winter and I think I saw every video on melting lead, casting, and sizing along with clips of different sizers and bullet lubers. Learned quite a bit on what and what NOT to do. One thing I know I DON'T want to do, is pan lube or tumble lube. I'll buy them already "rolled" before I deal with all that mess. I was almost ready to buy a RCBS or a Redding sizer, then I discovered this website and forum and saw the ones made by Star. That baby looks like the one I'd like. Heck...Star has even got a sub category all it's own on this site! If there's anything I hate, it's buying a product and then later discover I should have gotten something else.

Anyway, my question is.....can a Star put on GasChecks? Nowhere have I seen GC's being used on one. I would seldom use these, but I'd like to have the option. Thank you very much!
    Last edited by 50/50; 02-08-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Good question, I use the layman and it's different. With the star, I know it's a pass through die, but, the rod that pushes the bullet, if it pushes the bottom of the bullet through then it should work..... I'm sure someone here has experience with your sizer and has a better answer. Congrats on the casting, I love it never have to buy JBs for pistole and I hope to PC my rifle casts soon.

Also I don't use gas checks on any of my HG loads, just on the rifle loads and my HGs never have had leading issues yet.
    Hope for change.

Boolit Master
    Linedock, welcome to the forums here, it's a great place to learn about casting of all types. If you can handle sinker casting, making the transition to bullet molds will be relatively simple for you; with a multi-cavity mold or two you'll be making piles of bullets in no time at all. And, you've come to the right place for lube-sizing large piles of bullets in a hurry-- a Star or Ballisticast MK VI will serve you very well for this. In answer to your question, YES, absolutely, the Star or the MK VI can install gas checks as you lube; you will likely get best results with a dished punch, and still sizing nose-first into the die, just like you do with plain base bullets. There are plenty of guys on-site here who can give you some great advice in getting set up with one of these fine machines. Keep reading, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

lathesmith

Boolit Master
    A Star excels at installing gas check, & sizing and lubing. Many will speak of the speed of using a Star as compared to using a Lyman or RCBS. With my Star I don't look for speed, I look for accurately and easily sized and lubed boolits. There is a learning curve with a Star but it won't take long for you to get the hang of it. Keep asking questions, it's why we are here.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master

There seems to be no shortage of folks that believe checks cannot be put on with a Star and they are for handgun bullets only. Every time I read that all I can think of is if they have ever tried it or are simply passing on an old wives tale. And an old wives tale it is. I have been putting on gas checks on my rifle and handgun bullets for 30+ years without an issue and I only use the Star.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Banned
    I would invite you to read all the articles in the Star section.

Thanks for all the help so far folks. What a learning site this is. Not just with sizers, but boolit casting in general. I never knew there were so many people on a casting/sizing site!
    I was a bit confused about the GasChecks being applied with a Star because of a couple reasons. 1) I never saw a video on YouTube or Stars website for that matter, demonstrating how to do this. 2) I can't get it through my head how the GC's can be crimped on when the boolit is pushed through nose first while the punch drives it down. How in the world does it get "crimped"? On the other sizers, the boolit is pushed down base first and the GC is then folded (crimped) around the base of the boolit. I understand Lathesmith, that a dished out punch would fit nicely on the GC, but the actual crimp process eludes me. Thank you all for the help! -- Linedock

Boolit Grand Master

Concerning the checks it doesn't matter in the slightest if the bullet is sized nose first or base first. If you size nose first the checks get crimped last instead of first but exactly the same thing happens. The flat punch holds the check against the bullet base, a proper punch is only a few thousands smaller than die diameter.

Concerning the actual sizing there is a big difference. Nose first with a flat punch on a flat bullet base sizes more concentrically than does the in & out sizers with a less than perfect fitting nose punch pushing on the nose.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Banned
    Actually the punch can be more than a few thousands smaller and it won't matter. I have run punches 1/8" smaller and the bullet sizes and measures the same as a closer fitting punch.

Boolit Grand Master

A proper punch is only a few thousands smaller than die diameter.

There is a reason for that and it's not how the boolit sizes. Of course the boolit will size the same with a smaller punch, why wouldn't it? The reason for the punch being near die size is to hold the outside edge of the check against the bullet base for a flatter check.

Here is a boolit sized with a punch a bit too small. The check here is a little fuzzy but it was a picture of the boolit, not the check. Yes, it will work but it's better to use a larger punch and eliminate that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0769-124.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	96259

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Makes sense to me, Rick. I understand the logic. Thank you....Linedock

Make sense to me Rick, I understand the logic. By the way....What size are those boolits, and what are used for? They're real beauties. A pile of those would make for some pretty wallpaper! ---Linedock

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    A proper punch is only a few thousands smaller than die diameter.

There is a reason for that and it's not how the boolit sizes. Of course the boolit will size the same with a smaller punch, why wouldn't it? The reason for the punch being near die size is to hold the outside edge of the check against the bullet base for a flatter check.

Here is a boolit sized with a punch a bit too small. The check here is a little fuzzy but it was a picture of the boolit, not the check. Yes, it will work but it's better to use a larger punch and eliminate that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0769-124.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	96259

Rick
    Makes sense when installing checks. I've never pushed a cast bullet hard enough to lead and need a gas check. If I want something to move fast I'll purchase jacketed bullets. There are some that would argue and say that a smaller punch will deform the base of the bullet
    when not installing gas checks.

Boolit Grand Master

They are 140 gr 6.5mm used in a full custom 15" XP-100 for 200 meter handgun. Those are cast from CWW +2% tin.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Banned
    Nice looking bullets. Home made gas checks?

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, Hornady checks.

Rick

CRPA Life Member