RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 25-15 45 Colt

Love Life

S&W Model 25-15 45 Colt

After swearing off S&W new manufacture stuff for the last several years, I am interested in buying a new manufacture revolver.

I have my eye on the S&W model 25-15 in 45 Colt. It has a 6 1/2 inch barrel, nice bluing, walnut grips, etc. I've always wanted a S&W revolver in 45 Colt, and I'm a fan of their 6 1/2 inch barreled revolvers. There is just something special about drawing the 6 1/2 inch hogleg from a full flap holster on a frozen morning....

To my questions:

Does anybody here own one of the new S&W model 25-15 revolvers?
    If so what are your thoughts on fit, finish, dimensions, etc?
    Will the RCS 270-SAA boolit fit the revolver cylinder crimped in the crimp groove?
    Can they safely handle a steady diet of a 255 gr boolit at 1,000 FPS?
    Anybody on here a S&W dealer?

Thank you in advance for any information.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Can't speak for the 25-15, mine was a 25-5 from.the 1980s. Oversized cylinder throats, groups twice the size of my Ruger, cylinder backspin in heavy loads, had same problem with my. 44 M29. Sold them both. Replaced them with New Model Rugers which have been shot alot and are highly satisfactory.

I wouldn't buy a new Smith.

Boolit Master
    "Will the RCS 270-SAA boolit fit the revolver cylinder crimped in the crimp groove?"

I shoot that bullet in my S&W Mountain Gun

"Can they safely handle a steady diet of a 255 gr boolit at 1,000 FPS?"

With ease. Why would they not be able not to handle that load?
    Just think about. Speer using a 260 gr jacketed hits over 900 with a 51/2 inch at pressures within the SAAMI specs of 14000 PSI.

Boolit Master
    As close as I can come is a 625 Classic, and a 625 Mountain Gun. Both have .452" throats. The Classic hasn't been fired much, but is very accurate, it's first groups were 1" or less at 25 yds., I have to work up some loads and move it to 50 yds., as I think thats a more realistic distance to judge accuracy. The Mountain Gun has digested quite a few 300-320 gr. cast at 1,050 to 1,100 fps. and is still tight and accurate. They are NOT Ruger strong, but a 255 at 1,000 shouldn't bother one in the least. I shot a bunch of Keith style 310 gr. swc's that had a long nose, and they fit when crimped in the crimp groove. I am sure the RCBS boolit would fit fine too.

Love Life
    Thank you for the information everybody. I'm a little leery as I'll have to put in order in with the gunshop or buy from Gunbroker.

One thing I noticed on the BNIB gunbroker guns is they all have a turn line already. Not cool.

I have a couple older S&W N-Frames and I love them dearly, and I hope a new one will be up to snuff.

Boolit Grand Master

I've got a 45 Colt mountain gun and it is a real treat.

Read this article here

http://www.handloads.com/articles/?id=12

That should put some of your reservations to bed.

Mine also shoots the RCBS 45-270-SAA quite nicely and has enough room in the cylinder.

Now go buy it already!

Love Life
    Thank you!! Very informative article, and it looks like 10 gr of Unique under a RCBS 45-270-SAA is not only safe, but won't kill the gun.

The wife just rolled her eyes at me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Thank you!! Very informative article, and it looks like 10 gr of Unique under a RCBS 45-270-SAA is not only safe, but won't kill the gun.

No problem. There is also articles concerning "mid +P" loadings of 20-22k PSI for the N frames.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post

I know seating depth will be a factor compared the the RCBS boolit, but 10.5 Grains of Unique and a 265 gr. LBT averages 1,074 from my 4" Mountain Gun. I shot a bunch of those, easy shooting, and very accurate.

Love Life
    I'll be calling the gun store on Monday to see what they can do for ordering in a new one. The difference between used and new prices really makes buying new with a warranty a no brainer.

I just pray I don't get a lemon. The PC really put a hurt on my wants for buying new manufacture S&W.

What profile is your LBT Dubber123? WFN, SWC, etc?

OsteoDoc08- I can't find the issue, but I recall a great handloader article that covered the 45 Colt from Low end loads for the SAA to WHOAH MAMAM!!! loads for the Rugers. I reckon I'll have to get digging in my magazine box.

Haha!! My wife said there was no reason to save those magazines!

Boolit Master
    The LBT's were a WFN design. I shot a bunch of the LEE 300 RF's, which weighed 320 grains from my mold. They shot well, but only when shoved to almost 1,100 fps. using H-110, which is really working over a S&W pretty good. The Keith style I shot was 310 grains, and that too didn't shoot well until I got well over 1,000 fps. I got both of the heavies to shoot around 2" at 50 yds., but I have given up on them in the Smiths and I have been fooling with more mid weight boolits to take it a bit easier on them.

Love Life
    If I can get a RCBS 45-270-SAA in the 900-1000 FPS zone with accuracy, then I would call it a day and mass produce that load. That should have enough stank for any animals I may have issues with here.

Boolit Grand Master

Good luck! I'll never forget the first 25-5 I fondled or the first Mountain Gun I drooled over. I think my RBH is a better gun for my needs but I've wanted a 25 in 45 Colt since I first saw one. For some reason I've never scratched that particular itch...yet. As many S&W and 45 Colt revolvers as I have hanging around here you'd think one would be a 25 in 45 Colt.
    Good thing I'm single, I'd be getting more than an eye roll for what's on my mind right now.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    My 25-13 loves my 45-270SAA bullet and 13grs of HS-6 or 9grs of Unique. I called and talked to John Linebaugh before I purchased mine, which is a Mt Gun, and he assured me that it is more than suitable for 28K PSI loads, like the Ruger Blackhawk, it is the same frame and cylinder as the Model 29 in 44 Magnum, so the 80% rule applies. Mr. Linebaugh carries one daily, and when in Grizz country it is stoked with 310gr bullets and H110.

Moderator Emeritus

I just had to have a new 45 Mountain gun a few years ago. The bbl/ cylinder gap was 4 thou on one side, 11 thou on the other. Called S&W and was told that it was within tolerance.
    Needless to say the only S&W I still own is a 646. ( but it is a shootin son-of-a-gun )
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Master

Here is the Brian Pearce article.

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazi...246partial.pdf

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Hunter View Post
    My 25-13 loves my 45-270SAA bullet and 13grs of HS-6 or 9grs of Unique. I called and talked to John Linebaugh before I purchased mine, which is a Mt Gun, and he assured me that it is more than suitable for 28K PSI loads, like the Ruger Blackhawk, it is the same frame and cylinder as the Model 29 in 44 Magnum, so the 80% rule applies. Mr. Linebaugh carries one daily, and when in Grizz country it is stoked with 310gr bullets and H110.
    Ive got about 400 loaded with the 45-270 SAA and 13.5gr of HS-6. Just for reference, it was averaging 1360fps out of my Marlin 45colt CB model. I didnt have my Mountain Gun that day at the range to run them over the chrony.

Love Life
    Thank you for the article and thank you for all the information everybody!!! Looks like it's time to move one of the spare Glocks out the door to add a little more funding to the pot!

Boolit Grand Master

Chanting:

Do it, Do it, Do it

I lost out on a 25-15 about 2 years ago. Wish I would of snagged it up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Hunter View Post
    This is *interesting* information via Mr. Linebaugh.

The 45 Colt is such a useful, capable caliber. I have yet to own a S&W so chambered, but came real close to a Colt New Service recently. The seller's idea of what "90% example" actually meant vs. my own and the tariffs that apply at those levels prevented a transaction. Not all Californians are Malibu Mushbrains. Uberti and Ruger single actions have held sway here, and given fine performance. I had to finish building the Ruger, which in the 1990s was sold in kit form, but the end results were positive.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 02-21-2014 at 01:11 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast