MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 22 Caliber Weight

Banned

22 Caliber Weight

Using a J4 .704" jacket, what is the heaviest bullet that can be made and maintain accuracy? 52 grain is kindof the standard.

That depends on what ogive you decide for your bullets. I make 65 grain bullets, but have the dies and accessories for several ogives. If you were to have a larger, exposed lead tip, you could make something a bit heavier.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIA5348.jpg.w300h359.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	95873
    Safe Shooting!
    Steve Redgwell
    www.303british.com

Excerpt from Cold Iron by Rudyard Kipling

Gold is for the mistress - silver for the maid -
    Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
    "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
    "But Iron - Cold Iron - is master of them all."

Banned
    My point die is a 7 ogive. I'm looking for the best balance of jacket and core weight for accuracy. I shoot benchrest and want the most accurate out of the bullet. I have a 12 twist barrel right ow, so a little heavy won't bother me. I started with a 52.2, just because the cores I cut ended up that way. I just made some 51.5 and some 53.0 just to try. There is a magical balance somewhere with the jackets you have.

Well, at the risk of sounding like a smart Alec, I think that you're going to have continue to make bullets of increasing weights and see what works best in your rifle. As far as I'm aware, there is no way of determining which weight is best, only what the maximum weight is, for a given velocity.

I would go up in smaller increments, given that it is a .224 though. 0.5 grains for the sake of testing. From there, if you really want to get crazy, make some of 0.2 of a grain lighter and heavier than what shoots best for you at a given velocity.
    Safe Shooting!
    Steve Redgwell
    www.303british.com

Boolit Master
    I would stick between 50 and 53 grains with a .704-.705 jacket. I make 52's. They have been such a successful projectile that shoot so well I do not see a need to change a 50+ year history. If you change the jacket length I would then suggest changing the weight.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Banned
    Steve, Joe, Thanks for the input. I know the 52 is the "standard" for 22 benchrest bullets. And the 52.2 I made do shoot well. Just looking for, and testing to see if things might be better given my jackets and dies. Maybe this weekend I'll get a chance to shoot the ones I just made. I doubt I'll go over 53 in these jackets.

You can try. I have always believed that more bullet shank is better for accuracy. With a 7 ogive, if you wish to retain much of a point, I doubt you'll get much more than 55 - 57 gr.

What cartridge it is for?
    Safe Shooting!
    Steve Redgwell
    www.303british.com

Banned
    22PPC, 12 twist.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 303british.com View Post
    That depends on what ogive you decide for your bullets. I make 65 grain bullets, but have the dies and accessories for several ogives. If you were to have a larger, exposed lead tip, you could make something a bit heavier.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIA5348.jpg.w300h359.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	95873
    So why only 3200 FPS? I personally haven't found a velocity or twist that my 224's haven't been able to do. Is this just a blanket CYA? Not trying to start a huge debate, or start anything, just curious.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

There's nothing to debate. It's a blanket CYA. I have sold 308, 313, 6mm and 224 bullets. I also write books. I do not know how well (or poorly) constructed a buyer's reloads are. I do not know if he's used the correct charge or primer. I do not know his experience level.

Sadly, we live in a litigious society. It is very rare these days for anyone to accept responsibility for what they've done. They will try and blame another person or company for their own stupidity. That is done either to prevent being labeled an idiot or to make money off the back of someone else. One only needs to check the newspaper. Examples of this are everywhere.

When you sell any DIY product, you have to assume that only 1% of the population will know how to use it. The rest are idiots.
    Safe Shooting!
    Steve Redgwell
    www.303british.com