Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: NEI vs. Ballisti-Cast

Boolit Buddy

NEI vs. Ballisti-Cast

I'm looking to buy a new 2 or 4 cavity .41 mag Keith-style mould. Which would you guys buy if price were not a factor?

a) NEI #221, 220gr, aluminum
    b) NEI #221 meehanite
    c) Ballisti-Cast #858, 220 gr

or???

I already have a Lyman 410459.

I think the NEI will fit RCBS handles, which I have, but I'm relatively certain the B-C require their own handles.

Thanks,

Rusty

Banned

I have no experience with the B-C, but do like the NEI Alum. They are NOT the alum of Lee, that most think of when Alum is mentioned.

Boolit Buddy
    I have bought both NEI and Ballisti-Cast moulds in the last year. The NEI is a nice mould. The Ballisti-Cast 4 ganger is made just like the H&G ... and is a GREAT mould! Not really much of a comparison.

Banned

I have to agree. ballistic cast is in just about a league of there own when it comes to quality in a mold. I dont know the number right now as 2 dogs has the mold but i have a swc 41 ballisticcast that i thought was called a 230 grain swc. I know its real close to the lyman design and probably the best shooting 41 bullet ive found. Pm 2dogs and ask him the number if your interested.

Boolit Buddy
    If you go for the 4 banger NEI, you might want to consider their modified RCBS handles. The 270 mould I bought finned like a marlin until I got a set of the modified handles. It may not be an issue with the 2 banger moulds.

Boolit Master
    I really like Ballisti-Cast service/quality. Just recently needed a heavy 9mm bullet a little "fatter" than the norm. Called Ballisti-Cast, picked the shape/weight/diameter with my alloy and had it in my hands within a week.

Boolit Master
    Ballisti-Cast quality and service is indeed in a class by itself right now !

Their 4-cavity moulds are beautiful ! I feel it is worth the expense to get their handles as well.

Just this week they worked up a 4-cavity .38-55 mould and were willing to "fatten" it up just a bit for me.

Jerry

S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Banned

lot of guys dont know that ballistic cast will cut custom molds. they did a 3 cavity .512 for me in a design a buddy came up with. It was a plain based mold. I had them cut the 4 cavity block with 2 plain based bullets on the outside and then had them design a gas checked version of the same bullet and put it in the middle of the block. It wasnt cheap. I believe it was over 200 bucks but there both great bullets and i dont mind spending that kind of money knowing the mold will be around and working fine for my great grandchildren. They will not only do custom molds are put alot of time with me on the phone sorting out the particulars of the gas checked version and with there help and advice changed a few of my ideas and the bullet turned out to be a peach!! you couldnt ask for friendlier people then the guys in there machine shop!! Its a first class operation in more ways then one.

Boolit Buddy
    GLL:

Oh my.

I feel my wallet getting thinner soon.

Wow. Beautiful Mould.

Boolit Master
    Here is my Ballisti-cast H&G 68, prolly about 5k ran thru it at this point.