Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Hiking in the Adirondacks

Boolit Master

Hiking in the Adirondacks

Have been to Smoky Mtn. NP and well as Rocky Mtn. NP a number of times..planning on going to Lake Placid in New York to do some hiking in the Adirondacks. Was wondering if anyone can give me some insight about doing so. The reason I ask is that the others that we've gone to are National Parks, I am quite unclear what to expect with this new venue and I like to plan ahead. If anyone would be so kind as to give me a briefing...I'd be most grateful...

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    This area is near and dear to my heart, having spent much time there in my youth, and still having relatives in upper New York State. This link is best to get you started:

http://www.adirondackexperience.com/...on/hiking.html

You also need to become familiar with the back country regulations:

http://www.adirondackexperience.com/...gulations.html

If you want something less "primitive," I recommend the Hemlock Hall Lodge in Blue Mountain Lake. This is a turn of the 20th Century rustic lodge, which serves good home-cooked meals, family style, on Blue Mountain Lake, no internet or TV, but a wonderful porch where you can sit in peace and quiet and enjoy a good book. Be sure to also visit the Adirondack Museum and allow at least a full day for doing so. http://www.adirondackexperience.com/attractions.html

Winter overnight camping on cross country skis in the Adirondacks is not for the inexperienced or faint hearted. Above 4000 feet this time of year the terrain is dangerous. But in spring, summer or early fall, it is a delightful experience which can be enjoyed by the whole family. The Adirondack Reserve is less commercial and many of the old camps and hotels retain their rustic flavor.

Russian expats tell me that our Adirondack architecture and furniture reminds them of czarist-era dachas back in their old country. Many of the lodges built in the 1920s were vacation homes for Russian emigrees, to get out of New York City in the summers, so that would make perfect sense.

A delightful DVD which gives the historical background from PBS is
    http://www.amazon.com/Adirondacks/dp...he+adirondacks

On six million acres in upstate New York, the "Adirondack Park" is the largest park in the lower 48 states. Its land is divided almost evenly between protected wilderness and privately owned tracts creating a pattern of ownership that maintains a delicate relationship between progress and preservation. Through the perspectives of several characters, this program explores the history, seasonal landscape and current state of the Adirondacks.

Released by PBS in 2008, this controversial documentary showed what kind of a place a six-million acre State Park was and could be in modern times. With a nearly 50-50 split of private and public ownership (it was once considered to be a National Park), the Adirondacks are shown what they are - remote yet accessible; wild and public. The documentary traces a fine balance between the publics' right to own and use the land against private owners who choose to log, develop or possibly destroy the integrity of the park's landholdings. PBS and director Tom Simon present a fair and balanced view of this rarest of parks. With amazingly beautiful shots of mountains, lakes, rivers and streams, the film traverses across the entire park showing the immense beauty and value of such a large piece of public land within such close proximity to major metropolitan areas (New York City, Montreal, Albany, Syracuse, etc.). The cinematography is the star here with helicopter gliding shots throughout. As if to emphasize the point of private vs. public, the film ends on the development of the Big Tupper ski area and numerous condominiums and recreation facilities. It shows the Town of Tupper Lake in its impoverished condition against a community that gravely wants to leave the area wild forever. It has been an ongoing struggle since the park was established.

"At the 1894 Constitutional Convention, a new covenant to achieve meaningful protection of the Forest Preserve was included in the new Constitution. Henceforth, the Adirondack Forest Preserve would be "forever wild."

"For years the State had been acquiring and holding lands, often denuded, to be sure, which lumber interests did not pay the taxes on. It was this nucleus of property that gave the idea for the Park. Curiously enough, in this way, avarice was its own undoing ... In 1885 the Forest Preserve was created, and the popular vote in 1894 set it aside for the use of all the people forever."

-- T. Morris Longstreth, The Adirondacks, 1917"
    Last edited by Outpost75; 02-07-2014 at 02:36 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thank you so very much for all the information...

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    This area is near and dear to my heart, having spent much time there in my youth, and still having relatives in upper New York State. This link is best to get you started:

http://www.adirondackexperience.com/...on/hiking.html

You also need to become familiar with the back country regulations:

http://www.adirondackexperience.com/...gulations.html

If you want something less "primitive," I recommend the Hemlock Hall Lodge in Blue Mountain Lake. This is a turn of the 20th Century rustic lodge, which serves good home-cooked meals, family style, on Blue Mountain Lake, no internet or TV, but a wonderful porch where you can sit in peace and quiet and enjoy a good book. Be sure to also visit the Adirondack Museum and allow at least a full day for doing so. http://www.adirondackexperience.com/attractions.html

Winter overnight camping on cross country skis in the Adirondacks is not for the inexperienced or faint hearted. Above 4000 feet this time of year the terrain is dangerous. But in spring, summer or early fall, it is a delightful experience which can be enjoyed by the whole family. The Adirondack Reserve is less commercial and many of the old camps and hotels retain their rustic flavor.

Russian expats tell me that our Adirondack architecture and furniture reminds them of czarist-era dachas back in their old country. Many of the lodges built in the 1920s were vacation homes for Russian emigrees, to get out of New York City in the summers, so that would make perfect sense.

A delightful DVD which gives the historical background from PBS is
    http://www.amazon.com/Adirondacks/dp...he+adirondacks

On six million acres in upstate New York, the "Adirondack Park" is the largest park in the lower 48 states. Its land is divided almost evenly between protected wilderness and privately owned tracts creating a pattern of ownership that maintains a delicate relationship between progress and preservation. Through the perspectives of several characters, this program explores the history, seasonal landscape and current state of the Adirondacks.

Released by PBS in 2008, this controversial documentary showed what kind of a place a six-million acre State Park was and could be in modern times. With a nearly 50-50 split of private and public ownership (it was once considered to be a National Park), the Adirondacks are shown what they are - remote yet accessible; wild and public. The documentary traces a fine balance between the publics' right to own and use the land against private owners who choose to log, develop or possibly destroy the integrity of the park's landholdings. PBS and director Tom Simon present a fair and balanced view of this rarest of parks. With amazingly beautiful shots of mountains, lakes, rivers and streams, the film traverses across the entire park showing the immense beauty and value of such a large piece of public land within such close proximity to major metropolitan areas (New York City, Montreal, Albany, Syracuse, etc.). The cinematography is the star here with helicopter gliding shots throughout. As if to emphasize the point of private vs. public, the film ends on the development of the Big Tupper ski area and numerous condominiums and recreation facilities. It shows the Town of Tupper Lake in its impoverished condition against a community that gravely wants to leave the area wild forever. It has been an ongoing struggle since the park was established.

"At the 1894 Constitutional Convention, a new covenant to achieve meaningful protection of the Forest Preserve was included in the new Constitution. Henceforth, the Adirondack Forest Preserve would be "forever wild."

"For years the State had been acquiring and holding lands, often denuded, to be sure, which lumber interests did not pay the taxes on. It was this nucleus of property that gave the idea for the Park. Curiously enough, in this way, avarice was its own undoing ... In 1885 the Forest Preserve was created, and the popular vote in 1894 set it aside for the use of all the people forever."

-- T. Morris Longstreth, The Adirondacks, 1917"

Boolit Buddy
    I've spent a lot of time in the park. Not only traveling during my day job. But I've hunted the deep woods there most of my life. Most people outside of the area have no idea how remote the Adirondacks are. One of the challenges is you have to be in good shape to get around. Most of the best spots are walk in only. I'm looking forward to spring pond fishing and day hikes myself. Great Place.

Moderator Emeritus
    Mt Marcy is the highest spot in Ny and is in the Lake Placid area. I hiked to the top a number of years ago. I don't remember the route I took, but it was a two day hike and I came in on one trail and went out on another. I had a tent but stayed in one of the trail shelters.

The thing I remember most was the flying squirrels trying to eat our food. The food bags were hung up in trees because of the bears. We moved the food into the shelters but the squirrels came in there also! We would hear them land on the roof and then a few minutes later they would be inside. It was a 3 walled shelter, so there was no way to keep them out. They kept us up almost all night. I wish I had a pellet gun with me...

In the campground at the end of the trail, a bear helped herself to a campers dinner. The bears were very bold.

Boolit Bub
    Be careful as you can get lost fast. I spent 60 years in NY and spent my youth in the ADK. Black flies will drain you of your blood so I use Ole Time Woodsman as a repellent.
    Use some form of GPS device and you will be fine. Some of the trails in the Pharoah Lake Wilderness are some of the most difficult I have travelled. No level spots only car sized boulders in some areas. Go there and enjoy it and be safe. There is only one ADK.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    What is the new venue? Can you no longer take a firearm into a national park or something like that?

Boolit Master
    I’ve been fishing in the park area all my life. The comment about black flies cannot be stressed enough. Those and mosquitoes. I’ve never seen anything like it anywhere I’ve ever been. Lather yourself up really well and take a couple of cans with you. Watch for deer ticks also. It’s a beautiful place that can turn ugly if you’re not prepared. FWIW, some really good fishing in there.

Boolit Master
    my nephew makes hiking informational and trail evaluations and such on YouTube
    you might search YouTube for the parks or trails your interested in