Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Automating my Star sizer

ADMIN

Well I can sit down and tell you to the dollar what it cost to do my star. I don't have a collator so I have to load the tubes but it does size them automatically.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    Well I can sit down and tell you to the dollar what it cost to do my star. I don't have a collator so I have to load the tubes but it does size them automatically.
    You can sit down and tell someone right down to the dollar what it cost you. Unfortunately unless someone can copy your work and your parts source its not too much help.

ADMIN

Its all off the shelf parts. The only special item is two relays and I can sell you those at cost. So yeah I can tell you exactly how much it cost.

Boolit Grand Master

Automating my Star sizer

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    You can sit down and tell someone right down to the dollar what it cost you. Unfortunately unless someone can copy your work and your parts source its not too much help.
    I don't follow this. As long as nothing is custom made it's really easy to source parts. Unless you're buying at wholesale cost, like a lot of us can, then his price should be what you pay. Assuming parts cost hasn't changed since he bought them, which it most likely did.

I priced up adding air assist to my Star so I don't have to pull the handle anymore. I believe the cost was around $320. I looked up the parts in late May of this year.

Banned
    Can you tell me that the used price of an electric motor is written in stone? I don't think so that is unless your willing to fork out the money for a new motor and controller. Air is pretty simple for the simple minded and yes as long as the parts cost stays the same you'll stay in the ball park. The only variable is going to be the little extras the hardware. Most people if considering making it run with a gear reduction motor will source out used motors and motor control and the price will fluctuate.

ADMIN

My setup is based on Wyman's air assist setup. It uses all new parts so prices don't change. The only addition to automate it is a air switch, two relays, on/off switch , push button start and power cord.

ADMIN

I guess i am pretty simple minded and on that note i m done with this discussion

The motor I have coming is basically the same only a little higher torque 126 to 113 in/lbs, but also 30 RPM, I'm thinking 1800 an hour will be too fast, but I have a VFD I'm going to use to control motor speed.

here's a link to the specs on the new motor,http://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Gearmotor-3M329
    I got mine off Ebay for way less, plus mine has the brake already installed
    Do you have a link to the VFD you plan on using to control the speed of the 115vAC shaded pole gear motor?

Banned

One of mine will be pedal power pretty soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12