Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Did you design that Accurate Mold?

Banned

Btt.......

Boolit Buddy
    43-3199 is my modification of TexasSako's 43-310B. Both of us are trying to come close to the original heeled bullet for the 10.4MM (or 10.35mm) Italian Vetterli. My brass thickness and chamber dimensions would work best with a slightly larger heel. Bore dimensions also suggest a larger nose-ride diameter and larger forward driving bands. The original bullet was a bit longer overall, so I redesigned the nose. Finally, the original bullet had a small hollow base to enable expansion of the heel to bore diameter, so I had Tom do a nose pour mold and bore the heel through. I'll send it off to Erik at hollowpointmold.com for one of his bar conversion core pins to produce a conical hollow .190" diameter by .250" height. After the core is installed, that bottom band of the heel will be .070" (like 43-310B) and the overall bullet length will be increased to 1.025" by the nose redesign.

Here's my modded version

Here is TexasSako's 43-310B, which inspired mine
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Grand Master
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=46-420C-D.png,
    I had Tom add this for the 45-70 its a real thumper
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...48-350K-D.png,
    and this for the 48o rug
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

STICKY TIME.

Gear

Boolit Master

Can't take credit...

I do however have one of the Accurate 45-280C 4C brass molds I purchased form another member here.

For me it was to have a somewhat medium weight plain based boolit for my 454 or a mid heavy for my 45 Colt. I poured these up using some blended alloy I use for some of my HP's which is about a 1.5/1.5/97 derived form the LG Iso cores.

As you can see it seems to fit the bill for the 13gr HS-6 load I use with it in my 7.5" Redhawk in 45 Colt. Accuracy out to 75'ish yards has been stellar as well.

I haven't given it a try in the 454 just yet, but I do not feel it will have any issues in it either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0120.jpg   Accurate 454280C02.jpg  
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Banned

#42-440B

My design, for a long range 416 Rigby boolit that closely fits the throat of a CZ 550.

Excellent accuracy.

A recent article in a handloading magazine praised a mold makers’ designs, for not “letting the inmates run the asylum”.

I had no idea what response I’d get when I started an online catalog of customers’ designs, but I have found out that the combined knowledge of the “inmates” here far exceeds anything that I ever could have learned in a lifetime.

Personally, I’m a handgunner who rarely dabbles in anything which doesn’t fit in a holster and shoot smokeless.

People from around the world have sent me original old catalog pages and photos of obsolete bullets for obsolete guns, sometimes requesting a modification here or there. Stuff that I never would have known even existed.

I want to thank everyone for generously sharing your insights. I do maintain a “proprietary” catalog which contains, on request, private designs, but it is very sparse. Virtually everyone is happy to share their design ideas, and share the results of their successes and failures.

On that note, I must make a correction of Geargnasher’s post. #45-265L has been wrongfully accused of being universally putrid. Gear’s design is actually #45-260G, which I’ll delete soon.
    #45-265L is my personal design, and along with #43-240L, #41-210L and #36-140L, has a lever gun-friendly nose length, the small shoulder which I prefer, and 73% meplat. It’s almost impossible to catch Gear posting a mistake, but I just can’t let that one slide.

Boolit Grand Master

You just made my day Tom.
    Let's see, where's my calendar.....
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

Tread updated. Sorry I got a little behind.
    Anybody else? Please put in your 2 cents and tell about the projects you have done with Tom.

Boolit Grand Master
    What? Gear made an error? Stop the presses.

I suppose that it would be hard to go against what Tom says, he is the keeper of the catalog after all.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

Oops! Tom, my apologies for inadvertently slamming a good design, I corrected the number in my post, and thank you for removing my unsuccessful design from the catalog.

Btroj and I will be hounding you shortly about a slight redesign of the 31-185G.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    If it weren't for unsuccessful designs then we wouldn't ever learn anything.

I have spent many hours looking at Toms catalog and see many designs that just defy reason. Some are just plan weird or ugly.

Gear, once Tom gets a design let me know, I will be interested to see what she looks like.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

I didn't design it, but asked Tom to catalog something along the lines of a Lyman 313249. So he created the 31-090L for me.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-090L-D.png

It is a nice little boolit, and shot well from various .32 caliber revolvers that I have.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Accurate Mold 31-090L.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	96890

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Btroj and I will be hounding you shortly about a slight redesign of the 31-185G.
    I assume this is for your 308? I'm interested in what you come up with as well, I shoot more 30 cal than anything other than 45 ACP.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jailer View Post
    I assume this is for your 308? I'm interested in what you come up with as well, I shoot more 30 cal than anything other than 45 ACP.
    That is close, it is a short 06 actually. That is exactly what the bullet will be designed for.

I once worked with Tom on a bullet for my 375 H&H, I decided it was better to go with a proven design. The one I got shoots very well. I leave the bullet design stuff to others.

Boolit Master
    Well......
    1. 45-225B: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-225B-D.png - Doubles as a revolver/lever action design can be shot in a 45 auto
    Design was better suited for revolver and lever action but was accurate in all three platforms. Nose length is short and be used in all 45 colt/acp revolvers.

2. 45-230X: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-230X-D.png - Doubles as a revolver/lever action design and is very accurate in revolvers and lever action. Can be used in all 45 colt/45 acp revolvers with it's nose length.

3. 45-235R: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-235R-D.png - My current revolver/lever action/45 acp design. This design has a nice nose profile and enough length for feeding in auto's while still maintaining good meplat diameter for hunting purpose if desired. Great plinker design for revolvers/rifles as well and accurate from all three platforms. My thoughts to find an all for one design that has nice accuracy and a blend of characteristics for hunting/plinking etc. Can be used in all 45 colt/45 acp revolvers with it's nose length.

4. 45-300B: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-300B-D.png - Nice secant design for Revolver/Rossi lever action - designed to fit Ruger SRH 454 Casull Cylinders and cycle through a Rossi 454 casull and Rossi 45 Colt lever action. Easily fits in a Ruger 45 Colt Large frame Revolver cylinder but cutting it close in the smaller frame Rugers.

5. 45-310-B: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-310B-D.png - My current revolver/Rossi lever action tangent design - a bit more accurate than the secant designs. Designed for Ruger SRH 454 Casull, Ruger 45 Colt Large frame Revolver and Rossi 454 Casull and 45 Colt lever actions.
    **Note this design is cutting it close on my LSI Puma Rossi 454 Casull lever action in reference to cycling but has plenty of clearance in the Rossi Braztec 45 Colt.

6. 45-310D: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-310D-D.png - Designed to see if two smaller lube grooves were better than one larger one: there was no difference in accuracy/performance - secant nose profile and same accuracy as the 45-300B above

7. 45-340B: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-340B-D.png - Nice secant revolver/Rossi lever action design - very accurate from Ruger SRH 454 Casull and Ruger BH revolvers. Very good design for Rossi 454 Casull and 45 Colt lever actions.

8. 45-345A: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-345A-D.png - My current revolver/Rossi lever action design with a tangent nose profile. Not any notable difference in the Rossi lever action rifles over the 45-340B regards to accuracy. Possibly a bit better accuracy from the Ruger BH but no notable difference with the SRH 454 Casull. Great design accuracy wise in all platforms I use it for.
    **Note this design is cutting it close on my LSI Puma Rossi 454 Casull lever action in reference to cycling but has plenty of clearance in the Rossi Braztec 45 Colt.

9. 46-375B: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=46-375B-D.png - Mid weight for Marlin 45-70 lever action - secant design nose profile similar to a Ranchdog design. Proven to be a good shooter for my Dad's Marlin SBL.

10. 46-375G: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=46-375G-D.png - Another mid weight designed for Marlin 45-70 lever action - The gas check version of the 46-375B. secant design nose profile similar to the Ranchdog design. Also proven to be a good shooter from my Dad's Marlin SBL.
    Last edited by RobS; 02-16-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Rob, can you expound on how well those designs worked out for you? Pluses? minuses? Love, hate or indifference?

Boolit Master
    sure, I'll edit

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks, I'll put them in que. Folks are going to look at the list on the OP and follow to your post for more information. Not looking for a war and piece book here, just your impressions on the design good or bad.

Boolit Grand Master

OK, thread updated.
    Thanks for sharing Rob.
    Look that list is getting pretty long fellers, if you see an issue, or if I made a mistake, please holler at me and I'll fix it.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast