RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Did you design that Accurate Mold?

Boolit Master

32-170B it was kind of stolen from the Saeco taper mold with a GC added meant for the 32-40 but works well in 32spl also. When crimped in groove it engraves rifling about .010 to .015.
    It is meant for Winchester rifles.
    Last edited by Marvin S; 02-08-2014 at 05:51 PM.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    What a thread!!
    If anyone had any question as to whether folks here know what they are doing, this tread would be the cure.
    Thanks Goodsteel and keep 'em coming.

Boolit Grand Master

Alright fellers, that's 59 molds that we now have a rhyme and reason behind.

I would just like to encourage you agian, please if you know what the reasoning behind the design of a certain mold was, if you know who designed it, if you have any pertinent information, and if the mold has not been mentioned, please share your knowledge!
    If you would like, I can put ???? in the place of the designers name.
    This thread is about helping to get folks a better idea of what will work for them and possibly a point of contact to ask a question.
    There are still lots of molds that are in Tom's catalog that I think "gosh, I really really want to try it, but I'm not going to gamble with $150" or I see a design and I know what the feller was thinking, but I just don't know if it worked out for him or if it was a colossal flop.
    Like this one for instance:
    http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=31-210N-D.png
    That band on the nose is obviously supposed to give a light press to the nose of the boolit and supposedly align it in the chamber. Well, if the booliteer who designed it would just step up and tell us how it worked, we would know if it's worth giving it a whirl or letting it slide.
    How about this one?
    http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=38-340L-D.png
    or this one:
    http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=45-295P-D.png

Tom has roughly 1370 molds available to drool over. We only really know what's special about 1/3rd of them.

I want to send out a real big high five to all those who have contributed so far and helped me with this thread. You're all first rate booliteers. Your powder is dry and there is no dross in your alloy.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 02-08-2014 at 07:35 PM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Goodsteel, the ring on the bore ride is something that Walt (NEI) used to do. Many folks want their bore rides to contact the lands, but it's a very fine line between contact and an interference fit, preventing chambering. The ring offers contact to the point of engraving, without too much resistance.
    A customer had me include the NEI type ring with that design, but people can, and have, ordered it placed on many other cataloged bore ride designs.

As for the catalog, you'd better count again. There are currently 1370 designs.

Thank you for doing this! I have avoided writing the intended application in the design notes unless my customer got back with me about the results. I know that leaves people guessing, but entering that info sounds like I am endorsing the boolit for that use when I haven't even tried it.

I'd like to add that if anyone has found their design to be a less than stellar idea, I'm happy to delete it from the catalog to save others from any heartache.

Boolit Master

The 36-140c and the 31-090r are tweaks of mine. I just had Tom increase the lube groove length and depth of other designs so that they would work better with Blackpowder. The 36 has worked very well. I haven't shot the 31 yet but the smaller lube grooved version shot very well, no reason the new version won't. I have a 32 Big Lube mould but the LEE mould block is just too large and it is almost impossible to keep it hot enough to get good fill-out. One size does not fit all. Here is the drawings and the real deal

Attachment 96493Attachment 96494

Attachment 98351
    Last edited by Springfield; 03-02-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post
    Goodsteel, the ring on the bore ride is something that Walt (NEI) used to do. Many folks want their bore rides to contact the lands, but it's a very fine line between contact and an interference fit, preventing chambering. The ring offers contact to the point of engraving, without too much resistance.
    A customer had me include the NEI type ring with that design, but people can, and have, ordered it placed on many other cataloged bore ride designs.

As for the catalog, you'd better count again. There are currently 1370 designs.

Thank you for doing this! I have avoided writing the intended application in the design notes unless my customer got back with me about the results. I know that leaves people guessing, but entering that info sounds like I am endorsing the boolit for that use when I haven't even tried it.

I'd like to add that if anyone has found their design to be a less than stellar idea, I'm happy to delete it from the catalog to save others from any heartache.
    1370? Where the heck did my math go wrong!
    I just ran the numbers again and sho-nuff 6X25X9=1350 and change. I feel so insanely sheepish right now.

Tom. I just want to express my personal gratitude for your work ethic and business sense. I wish I could run my gunsmithing operation like you run your mold business, but I just don't know how.
    Regardless, I want to offer you my personal thanks, and the thanks of so many on this forum. The things you make are a huge help to us, and your price is fair for the service you provide. Every one of us feels like we get a smokin deal considering the quality and the turnaround time.

Is there anything that you could add to our thread here? How about a list of best sellers? I know it takes time away from the lathe, but we really do value your input.
    Thanks Tom.
    I will be ordering a mold from you in the very near future (ok maybe two of em) and I will be looking to this thread for guidance (Yeah fellers, I admit it: I had ulterior motives LOL!)
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 02-08-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Boolit Master

This is one of the most interesting threads I've read this year.

I believe the 40-145c was designed by a member here for the .400 corbon, which is a .45acp necked to .40, hence the crimp groove on a swc .40 cal boolit.

I've borrowed one in brass, and they work great in a converted 1911.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I'll add mine here:

- 31-120B: I designed this one whilst waiting endlessly for the Mihec 316410 or the NOE 314365 both of which seemed to take forever. In the end I decided to wait and got the Mihec 316410 (I wanted lighter but wanted an HP more). I have not purchased this mould from Accurate so can't say how it performs. Might still get one, one day.

- 43-165B: Didn't really design it but I asked Tom to scale down his 45-165C for my .44 mag Marlin. I like it. A lightweight plinker that does well for me. Shoots well, feeds well, cheap on powder and lead.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    I was the one who asked Tom to modify the 230L to the LL with a single loob groove. I just received the mold Friday in the mail, and I've only had a chance to cast up a few. As soon as I can I will post a picture.

bones37.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bones37 View Post
    I was the one who asked Tom to modify the 230L to the LL with a single loob groove. I just received the mold Friday in the mail, and I've only had a chance to cast up a few. As soon as I can I will post a picture.

bones37.
    Hi, Bones! Thanks for responding and for the PM, please keep in touch.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

9.5 x47R ... An obsolete stop ring bullet created in 1880 for Schuetzen matches using SS rifles. Bullet lasted for about 15 years. There are only 3 known Schuetzen rifles in the US in this caliber
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Gear; Yes Sir, I will keep in touch. Here is a pic of the Accurate 45 230LL.Attachment 96233

Boolit Master
    I just ordered mine so it'll be a while before it's in my hands.

These are designed for my cap n ball pistols (ROA and Remington '58). I intend on reaming the chambers to .450-.452".

45-170C. I read of someone using a ~160 grn 45 ACP bullet in their cap n ball gun with good results, and it was mentioned how it was about the length of a ball. This is what I had Tom work on first. If it took no more powder capacity but had more bearing surface, I figured it ought to get close to the velocity but with more energy. What came out was much shorter than a ball, which got me curious about an increase in powder capacity. I must admit I'm reluctant to try a full house load in a repro, but I'm certain my ROA can handle that and some. I expect this to do well in my Pietta '58 with it's slow twist.

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=45-170C-D.png

45-195C. Having seen how short the other was I wanted one that was the length of a ball so as not to use any powder capacity. I believe this would make a very nice medium game hunting bullet, and ought to outperform the Lee conicals of similar weight. With this bullet being the length of a ball I anticipate it doing well in my Pietta '58.

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=45-195C-D.png

45-285C. This bullet was designed with hunting things that may want retribution if not put down quickly. Looking for a wounded hog can get hairy, as I'm sure a black bear would be too! So penetration is what I had in mind. The nice wide meplat ought to make a nice wound track. Considering the lengths of 270-280 grn bullets with a similar design I opted for 0.675" assuming with a slightly wider nose it would be of a similar weight, but with a little more powder capacity. I figure I ought to be able to get 25 grns of 3F behind this beast.

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=45-285C-D.png

I've been eyeing the Pietta Remington '63 Pocket and Uberti Colt '62 Police, and considering a bullet design something like the 170C for them if/when I do.

goodsteel,
    Great idea ..... starting this thread. So far I have purchased 9 molds from Accurate. Tom's work is first rate!

I needed a bullet for my 1892 Marlin .32 Long Colt rifle. Ammunition has not been produced since the 1970's and those cases used a hollow based bullet. So I decided to have a mold made to fit the as fired cases from my rifle. It works very well!
    31-090A - .32 Long Colt - .91" case - inside lubed - option for the obsolete Ideal 299155 hollow base bullet
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-090A-D.png

I then decided to have a bullet made for the original .78 case. It also works very well.
    31-090S - .32 Long Colt - .78" case - outside lubed - option for the obsolete Ideal 299153
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-090S-D.png

.30 W.C.F. original "Short Range" bullet - I had an interest in a mold to replicate the original Winchester bullet. Having a few original cartridges, I was able to pull a bullet and take some measurements.
    31-115K
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-115K-D.png
    To date I have only tested the bullet at 50 yards and the results have been very good. At 1,200 f.p.s. groups ran a bit under 1". History repeated!

32-180B - clone of the early ideal 319295 g.c. bullet for the .32-40 Hi Power
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=32-180B-D.png

36-160C Clone of the early .38 Special 2 lube groove bullet (Ideal 357250) except for the flat nose which I wanted for use in my .38/.357 levergun. Shoots great!
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=36-160C-D.png

43-220C Same as the famous 427098 .44-40 bullet except that a crimp groove has been added. Shoots very well.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-220C-D.png

45-260B Upscaled version of the famous 427098 .44-40 bullet for use in my .45 Colt rifle. Shoots very well...al the way out to 300 meters....
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-260B-D.png

to be continued......
    w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Grand Master

Thread updated. Keep Em coming fellers! This is exactly what I was dreaming of. Every time I have visited Accurate molds I have wished that this thread existed.
    Now it does.
    Thank you for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Warf I believe that I talked to you about that boolit cause mine is the same only with a gas check
    Yes sir yours was the check, mine was based off yours without the check.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Grand Master

Come on fellers, don't quit on me now!

I designed the:
    46-350V
    46-405V
    46-430V
    46-540V
    All for my 45-70 Marlin Co-Pilot take down rifle...

I really liked the Beartooth bullets so I had him do a nose profile like BTB's and then added length to make what ever weight I wanted.... All nose profiles are the same, just the length is different

Doc

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Doc Holliday View Post
    I designed the:
    46-350V
    46-405V
    46-430V
    46-540V
    All for my 45-70 Marlin Co-Pilot take down rifle...

I really liked the Beartooth bullets so I had him do a nose profile like BTB's and then added length to make what ever weight I wanted.... All nose profiles are the same, just the length is different

Doc
    I have a 461405V it's a nice mold! Thanks for the design.

Boolit Master
    I asked Tom for a clone of the Lee 356-120TC but with a larger lube groove and more like 125gr. He produced the 35-125C for me. I ordered it in 5 cav alum. The larger lube groove didn't help with leading issues, but thankfully powder coating has. It actually drops at 128+ with my alloy and shoots great. I"m thinking I might like to get one with a smaller diameter, NO groove and bevel base for pc'ing. Intended for 9mm Luger. Also works in 38spl but poi is low, as expected. Way too big for Sig 238 (380).

I also requested a 160gr DE Wadcutter with a single lube groove in the center and he came up with the 36-160W (I think that's the one!). However, I haven't ordered that mold (yet). Intended for 38spl.

I also have the 36-160H which I like a lot. But I'm thinking that this was already in the catalog. For 38/357 but also works surprisingly well in my Ruger LC9!
    Last edited by gefiltephish; 02-11-2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Intended for:

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast