Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Did you design that Accurate Mold?

Boolit Buddy

Great thread. The one issue I have with with the Catalog http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php is it doesn't really give a lot of detail as to what each mold is designed for. I had to ask on this site before I ordered my mold for my 30-30. I have a 36-102C on order for 9mm. I would like to order a mold for my Remington model of 1917 (30-06) any suggestions?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kayak1 View Post
    Great thread. The one issue I have with with the Catalog http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php is it doesn't really give a lot of detail as to what each mold is designed for. I had to ask on this site before I ordered my mold for my 30-30. I have a 36-102C on order for 9mm. I would like to order a mold for my Remington model of 1917 (30-06) any suggestions?
    That's exactly why I am doing this.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    45-300C 454 Casull Ruger Super Redhawk fits the throats with the short front band well it is a full diameter .05 length band
    45-260C 45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk, Smith 25, very general boolit that shoots well when I want a lighter load
    44-260B 44 Magnum, works well with Ruger's and Smith's another good general design that shoots when I want a lighter load
    None of these are earth shattering, the top is very specific, but also shoots well in the 45 Colt Rugers, although I've come to favor a design from MM I put a longer nose and a longer front band on.
    The bottom two don't have a front band and are bore size only meant to fit in anything I have since I have a plethora of 44's and 45's
    All of them in brass 3 cavity molds cast wonderful and are among my favorites.
    As well the 44 fits and feeds flawlessly in a Marlin 1894 44 magnum I have.

Banned

45-230L--- What Lee's TL452-230-2R SHOULD have been, or at least they should offer the same boolit with regular lube grooves and a flat base, basically a 45-228-1R base on the TL45-230. I see someone has altered it for single lube groove (the LL) and I'd love to know who and if they would be interested in swapping some boolits for comparison, it would add a dimension to an ongoing theory of mine and others about multi- vs single-lube-grooves. I designed the L to eliminate premature slide-lock in Kimber 1911s with the historically "proud" slide lock catch that gets tripped with fat, blunt boolits. The nose fits the magazine curvature and when the front band is seated "just" out of the case (to where it passes the Plunk Test in a variety of autos), the cartridges fit the 1911 single-stack magazine length perfectly with no binding and no slamming back and forth under recoil. The weight is the modern "normal" for the 1911 .45 automatic and won't require spring changes or sight adjustment vs FMJ ball ammo like the lighter cast can require. The dual lube grooves lube best when split between one row of holes in a Lyman or Star lube-sizer die. Not bragging, but simply stating, out of all of my .45 moulds, this one really does shoot the best in all of my autos. I really wanted the Miha 45-200 SWC to be the best, and it may be in some pistols, but not mine.

30-160P and 30-190P. Designed for modern, smokeless-powder paper patching in the .30-'06. The 190P is for worn guns with .301" or so bores, the 160P for .300" bores. One can spec either one to their exact bore without changing the boolit style. The taper matches an '06 throat, and the first band is an experiment in "patched bore riding" boolits where the nose is intended to be supported by the paper. Requires a minimum .009" jacket thickness to be effective.

31-185G. That one is styled after the John Ardito boolit, 311679, but with some obvious changes. The gas check shank is back-cut to perfectly match Hornady gas checks without shaving any lead as they "crimp" so as to minimize boolit deformation when base-first sizing/lubing. My ONLY complaint about this boolit is that I sold the only gun it fit, and the first nose diameter dimension should be reduced at least a thousandth to fit standard '06 throats. The taper from first band to middle of nose is ever so slightly too abrupt for the 1.5-degree '06 throat, but close 'nuff for most rifles. I will fix it and make the lube groove a proper radius instead of a square, it's on my to-do list before Tom hangs it up. The back-cut gas check shank is the best idea I've had in a long time, it really works as intended if you use Hornady checks, and I highly encourage others to try it out in their own designs.

36-160E. This one might be a flop. It was a "grand experiment" on my part with exact throat fitment. I was trying to force things into perfect alignment from the get-go and keep them that way. Here's why my idea sucked: First, throat fouling makes chambering impossible after about two cylinders worth. Second, this was an early mould design of mine and I was still eaten up with the "undersized mould" phobia from being burned with a dozen recent Lyman moulds that ALL were at least .002" under nominal at best no matter what tricks I used to cast fatter boolits (except Beagling). So, naturally, I ordered this one too big, but designed it with shallow lube grooves since most revolver boolits carry so much lube that it is more of a problem than a solution. The result is that by the time I size it down to .358", the nose is deformed and the lube grooves are all but wiped out. Oops. It might be a really good design if I'd ordered it in .358". The TC nose was Tom's idea, I was stuck with nose length restrictions due to .38 snubbies, but wanted to reach out and touch the cylinder throats. That meant instability issues with being too nose heavy. How to trim the nose weight? Easy, Tom said, make it a TC. There ya go. He's full of great ideas, all you have to do is ask.

45-260G. This one was an attempt at a "universal" .45 Colt mould to fit all my various and sundry guns. I spent a lot of time figuring out what would chamber in all of them and give the best nose support and static/dynamic fit. IIRC I even started a thread on it here to pick the general brains. I don't know why, but it flat will not shoot worth a hoot in any of them. None. Huge, scattered groups. It should have taught me something, but hasn't yet. If you think you want one I'll sell you mine, cheap. I should ask Tom to remove it from the catalog.

Ok, thats it for me, still need to design the end-all, be-all .30-30 mould and add the 360-220? that everyone with a .35 Remington Marlin needs to have, and also add more bevel to the 45-230L's shoulder such as the 45-200I has to reduce shaving in throatless .45s like the XD and M&P, but right now I don't have the time.

BTW, since everyone is coming out of the closet on this one, let me ask about the 45-255C Not mine but a great boolit. The only thing I'd change is make the first band full-bearing diameter at the base......OH!! Like the 45-250Y.....I see someone already had that idea. This is THE .45 Colt multi-purpose cowboy RFN as far as I'm concerned, fits everything, shoots great in everything, just wonderful. It is what the 454190 needed to be. I almost bought one of NOE's moulds when he ran a similar design, basically a Lyman 452664 with a plain base and better nose profile, but I wanted brass, so when I saw this in Tom's catalog a while later, I instantly ordered one. NOW I'm going to have to get a 250Y because that was the one mod I wanted to make but thought I'd give the 255C a shot first. It has not disappointed, but I can't leave well enough alone.

Gear
    Last edited by geargnasher; 02-16-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    36-162V, for my .357s. Because I wanted to try a nice fat 81% meplat, I wanted a consistent dropping .360 boolit that was the same weight as my 357446 (162gr) which usually drops .3575, and I also didn't like the bevel base on the Lee SWC mold.
    It shoots great and is fun to cast. I really like this boolit and don't think I'd change anything on this one.

KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for sharing Ian. I was dreading your arrival, but it wasn't too bad. LOL!
    Gotcha covered.

Just want to thank everybody for helping me put this together. Should really help us:
    A. learn what works and what doesn't.
    B. decide what to buy based on others experiance
    C. help us to know who to ask if we are unsure about a certain design, or to compare noted before dropping $150 on a new mold (I sure wish I could have asked somebody about that one I bought. I would have gone with something different! LOL!)

Thanks for sharing Beagle333.
    Thread updated.

I designed the following for my XP100R, Rem M SEVEN KS's, & Rem 673 in 350 Rem Mag
    36-250B
    36-270B
    36-280B - submitted CAD file based off of 358009 with Accurate's req'd metplat dia.

Brass mold with a soft point cavity for 250B & 270B see attached dwg's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36 250 & 270.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	95915Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36 270 & 280.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	95916Click image for larger version. 

Name:	360 tip.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	95917

and
    42-310B
    42-400B
    For my .416 wildcat (416 BAC ..... Bolt Action Cast) based off of a 300 WSM case.

2 cavity Brass Mold

Name:	416 BAC Cart DWG.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	95914

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...gn+worn+throat

http://www.accuratemolds.com/img/bul.../34-230B-D.png

Tom set me up with a mold for my well used .338WM and it works great - as in any reasonable load will be sub 1.5moa and at least half of what I've tried are 1moa or less. Sure shortened time spent on looking for a good load!
    Last edited by PWS; 02-07-2014 at 12:31 AM. Reason: added catalogue link

Banned

Proper-fitting boolits usually do.

Gear

This one was disigned by someone else with a GC but was altered for my 480 ruger to this:

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	95921

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	95922

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	95923
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=48-385A-D.png

I'm getting way better accuracy than the Lee 400gr. mold, no leading(fit is king) so far. I'm messing with loads again since I added a red dot scope to my SRH.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Grand Master
    what I mean by tweeked is I would ask Tom wow I like this but could you make it a gas checked or could you move this groove or make the meplat bigger that sort of thing
    I do recall making the first 480 Keith but thats all Toms design I also tweeked numerous 45 cal (.452) designs cause that is what I was interested in at the time
    Warf I believe that I talked to you about that boolit cause mine is the same only with a gas check
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

36-207B, designed for my 357 Maximum lever gun (converted 336 Marlin) and my 35 r4emington therefore the dual crimp groove; 36-230F originally I modifies a Lyman 358315 for the nose profile for 35 caliber rifles, including 35 Whelen, my 35-60 wildcat and a H&R Handi Rifle in 357 Max and my 358 Norma Mag; 42-375C as a heavy end bullet for our 416 Russian Express wildcat rifles. I think Dutch4122 and I worked on one of the lighter designs too to fix a feeding problem we initially had with the 416 Russian Express.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Man
    51-700D it was TL Boolit, but now I powder coat them. I load them in my 500 Jeffery.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=51-700D-D.png

48-400T for my 1895 Marlin in 470 Turnbull.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=48-400T-D.png

48-350B http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=48-350B-D.png
    Last edited by doubledown; 02-12-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Boolit Man
    I forgot one. 55-420M for my smoke pole. It hits like a truck!

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=55-420M-D.png
    Last edited by doubledown; 02-08-2014 at 08:16 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks a million fellers!
    Thread updated!

White eagle.
    If you moved a lube groove, then you know why a change was made. This is about helping people figure out what mold would be best for them, or at the very least to help them understand why a certain change was made.
    Now if you had a hand in some of the designs on the Accurate websight, and know what the reasoning behind it was, would you PLEASE share with us? If you're afraid of plagiarism, I'll put Tom's name on the OP list, and reference your post as where the dad burned information is located.
    Thank you.

Boolit Master
    I've got a few of Tom's molds but only one that I've had him modify for me.

460-405M.
    Large meplet and a shorter nose for feeding in my 1895 SBL.
    When you squeeze the lever closed you can just feel it seating into the throat. It shoots great.

Took my first deer with a cast boolit this year with that gun and that boolit.

Boolit Grand Master

Awesome Jailer, Thanks!

Banned

Wow! we got a heck of a list going! Are you going to put this back up as a sticky?

Banned

After I got my mold from Tom I posted that he was/is a "colossal stud." He got a kick out of that. If anyone deserves kudos, it is Tom/Accurate. Thanks goodsteel/Tim

41-390-P is mine. Designed to fit the PTG 416 Taylor reamer Midway sells. Sized with a Lee off the shelf .410" die and patched with 9# onionskin paper, it has been a consistent sub MOA shooter out of my M70 Taylor rifle. I needed a long body and short nose, to fill the long throat on that reamer and still fit in the magazine of the M70.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=41-390P-D.png

-Nobade

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast