Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Did you design that Accurate Mold?

Banned

My favorite boolit, not to mention Accurate boolit, was designed by a member. I posted how much I absolutely love the boolit, but also that is exactly at SAAMI spec OAL. Got this nice PM from maglvr

"Accurate mold 36-170T
    Good day Sir:
    I am glad to hear you like your 36-170T, I was the one that "invented it", I got the idea from their #36-240B, and asked Tom to shorten it to 170 grains.
    As it turned out (just by luck of the draw) it's length from base to top groove is the same as the famed 358429 is from base to crimp groove, and naturally the weights are the same also, making it really easy to find tons of loads for any application.
    I only shoot full power loads and have settled on 14gr of 2400, sparked with a small rifle primer, in 357 brass. it sure does the job!
    Safe and Happy shooting!!
    maglvr"
    Last edited by jmort; 02-06-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the help!
    Near as I can tell, we've already got a name and application for some of Toms molds. I figure he's got in the neighborhood of 1370 designs listed in his catalog. I hope we can get half of them here at least.
    This should give us an idea of what would be a good match for our guns, and if there are any questions, you know who to PM! If they don't know, they know where to go!
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 02-08-2014 at 07:36 PM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

HONCHO EMERITUS

Tom has listened to my feeble minded attempts at boolit design and has come up with six different designs for me:

31-190G - For the long throated Mosin Nagants

32-200G - For the long throated and overly fat grooved (.315"+) Mosin Nagants

42-330C & 42-345C - For the .416 Russian Express

44-360L - For the .43 Mauser

50-440N - For the .500 S&W Magnum H&R Handi-Rifle
    Last edited by Dutch4122; 02-07-2014 at 12:09 AM.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Master
    Tom has designed over a dozen for me but here are two of my favorites. They are really just modifications of old IDEAL designs.

The 43-270WC was designed for my old .44 Special revolvers.

43-270WC

The 36-170J is a take on the IDEAL 358429 Keith design but modified a bit for my .38/44 Outdoorsman revolvers (.38 Special). It is too long for many modern short cylinder N frames though !

36-170J

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch4122 View Post
    50-440 - For the .500 S&W Magnum H&R Handi-Rifle
    Hey Dutch, Was that mold B G or N???

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    Tom has designed over a dozen for me but here are two of my favorites.
    Jerry
    Hey Jerry, if you have any others there in his catalog, would you mind puttin you john hancock to 'em? Don't need but a "yeah I did it" and a "here's why" even if its a "I dont know what I was thinking" kind of thing.

Boolit Master
    I I have had 3 made for very specific applications with Tom's help.

30-150L: Made it because the Lyman 300136 for the 7.35 Carcano is impossible to find. It is very accurate, but needs the neck turned to fit the tight chamber. It uses a .30 caliber gas check instead of the to small 7mm GC Lyman originally used. I would eliminate the front groove Lyman put on there if I did it again.

43-310B: I tried to replicate the original 10.35 Italian Vetterli bullet. If I did it again I would flip it over and fit a hollow base pin. It still needs more testing with BP, but Unique is putting them in a 2" circle at 50 yards. Trail Boss was a dismal failure, keyholes and a bit of leading

32-155L: I wanted a flat nose version of the Lyman 321317 for my .32 Remington Model 8. It was designed for the cartridge after all. It is the best bullet, cast or knackered, I have ever run in any Remington Model 8 or 81 in any caliber, and can be run faster than jacketed, even with aircooled coww alloy. I wish it were a little heavier. I need to make a version for .30 Rem for a side by side comparison, update: it looks like someone did it already with the 31-150G
    Last edited by texassako; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM. Reason: updated results

Boolit Master

I had Tom make up the #41-330 C. I wanted a nose rider with 2 lube groves and no crimp grove. Works great in my .405 win High wall. Soon to be tried in the .414 super mag contender.

Boolit Master

I have two of them on Tom's website The first is 31-240B I designed this one for a friend that had bought a new Savage BVSS to use in bench rest competition and the Savage had a very short throat. So he took it to a local gunsmith to have the throat reamed out a bit so that he could shoot a heavier bullet without shoving the gas check half way down the case. The gunsmith absolutely had no idea what he was doing and by the time he quit he had a throat .750 long. Now my friend had a throat that he could shoot a very long 8 mm bullet in and was in worse shape than before. He was really upset as anyone could imagine and was wanting to send the rifle back to Savage and have a new barrel installed for quite a price. I talked him into letting me try to make a bullet to fit and figured that would be a whole lot cheaper that a new barrel. I basically took the Saeco 315 and made it longer and big enough to fit and Tom cut the mold. As luck would have it the bullet shot great and we now have a very happy camper.

The 38-285D I designed to fit a 38-55 that I had that had a rather large throat and I wanted a plain base no nonsense bullet to shoot in front of smokeless powders out to 200 yards. And it's proven to be a very good shooter too.

RB

Boolit Master

I am thoroughly enjoying this thread. The Accurate Molds catalog is one of my favorite places to day dream. Have though about having Tom help me design a couple.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=73-770S-D.png,
    this is the first full bore 12 ga. shotgun slug that was designed my Accurate
    I can not take all the credit for its design Tom and I collaborated on it to get it where it is
    now there are a plethora of shotgun slugs cataloged
    I have also tweeked more designs and are now catalog items
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I can't say I designed it, I just told Tom what I had in mind and he came up with 43-230C. I wanted a gas check .434 dia. 230gr.RFN for my 44 mag Marlin model 94 Cowboy.I use it at 44-40 velocity for a general use all around load.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=73-770S-D.png,
    this is the first full bore 12 ga. shotgun slug that was designed my Accurate
    I can not take all the credit for its design Tom and I collaborated on it to get it where it is
    now there are a plethora of shotgun slugs cataloged
    I have also tweeked more designs and are now catalog items
    Would you mind telling us which ones you "tweaked", and why you tweakified them? ie to what end?
    I'm trying to compile a full list of Toms molds that our membership had personal involvement with. Booliteers are just more trustworthy than non boliteers, so we all want to know what our bully membership has given the thumbs up to.
    No greater thumb can be lifted than the act of designing and ordering a mold.
    Please don't be bashful!
    Name it and claim it fellers!

Boolit Master
    I forgot one and editted my post above to add the 32-155L.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by texassako View Post
    I forgot one and editted my post above to add the 32-155L.
    Gotcha.

Boolit Buddy
    What a great idea for a thread!

I have two designs in Tom's catalog:

1. 32-175B: This is a lighter gas-check design for the 8x57. This will shoot sub-inch groups over 18 gr 2400 in my Yugo 24/47. For a heavier load, it also does excellent over 30 gr IMR 4198 with dacron filler. The nose is kinda short/blunt to feed very well but it's possible once you get the feel for how to move the bolt.

2. 45-225E: The idea behind this one was a dual caliber (45 acp and 45 colt) boolit. It is standard weight for the acp to maintain poa/poi and the nose length/shape is designed for proper feeding in the 1911 when seated at the shoulder. In 45 Colt it is seated to crimp in the groove (this does make it too long for the SAA). It does feed well in the 1911s and is very accurate over any powder I've tried in the acp. In 45 Colt it makes an excellent target load over 6.5 Red Dot. My only complaint is that it doesn't cut as clean a hole in paper targets as I thought it would when I designed it. I wish I would have sprung for the 5 cavity instead of the 3 cavity I have it in.
    Last edited by Deep Six; 08-02-2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Updated to include results of further testing of the 32-175B

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
    What a great idea for a thread!

I have two designs in Tom's catalog:

1. 32-175B: This is a lighter gas-check design for the 8x57. I haven't done a lot of testing yet but it's showing good promise lubed with Ben's Red over 31 Gr IMR4198 in my Yugo 24/47. The nose is too short/blunt to feed very well so it's pretty much a single-shot.

2. 45-225E: The idea behind this one was a dual caliber (45 acp and 45 colt) boolit. It is standard weight for the acp to maintain poa/poi and the nose length/shape is designed for proper feeding in the 1911 when seated at the shoulder. In 45 Colt it is seated to crimp in the groove (this does make it too long for the SAA). It does feed well in the 1911s and is very accurate over any powder I've tried in the acp. In 45 Colt it makes an excellent target load over 6.5 Red Dot. My only complaint is that it doesn't cut as clean a hole in paper targets as I thought it would when I designed it. I wish I would have sprung for the 5 cavity instead of the 3 cavity I have it in.
    Good to know deep six, thanks for the input!

Moderator Emeritus

A 41 wadcutter mold is a rare thing. So, I ordered a button nose WC (41-190W) from Tom for loading 41 Mag in a revolver. Honestly I didn't have anything to do with designing it. Either it was already in the catalog, or there was a 44 cal version in the catalog (43-210W)and I just asked for the same thing in 41 cal. I was a casting newbie at the time ...way back in Oct. 2010.

So Goodsteel, no earth shattering design info to glean here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

HONCHO EMERITUS

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Hey Dutch, Was that mold B G or N???
    My bad, it is "N." (Original post has been edited)Attachment 95887

The idea behind this boolit was a reasonably well balanced clone of the similar Lyman 515141 design for the 50-70. When I bought the .500 S&W Mag Handi-Rifle my intention was to use it basically as a poor mans 50-70 with smokeless powder loads. I have shot 440 grain pistol boolits with much larger WFN meplats through the .500 and was not happy with their stability past 100 yards with reduced plinker loads. It was exactly those loads that caused a good friend to nickname my Handi-Rifle in .500 S&W Mag the "Knuckleballer." With 10 power binoculars he was watching the WFN pistol boolits enter his field of view in a helical arc as they approached the "general area of the target" 225 yards away!

So, I contacted Tom about designing a rifle boolit for my intended purpose.
    Last edited by Dutch4122; 02-07-2014 at 03:33 AM.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Grand Master

Gotcha. Thread updated.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast