Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Did you design that Accurate Mold?

Tom helped me with a mold choice after I scratched out crude drawing of what I was after. We picked a design he had listed and upped it a few calibers to my desired weight and diameter . I think it was a 30 cal PB we altered to .325-215 for me 8mm-06 and it shoots great plus it works in my 8 mils too.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=32-215B-D.png

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I was looking high and low for a good .32 Auto mold. I had a Ranch Dog which was excellent but it required short seating. I corresponded with Tom about what I needed, he took the RD design and lengthened the ogive and gave it a single standard lube groove. I got a four cavity and the mold and Boolits work great. The only strange thing is I have to pressure feed the lead directly into the sprue plate or it won't fill out. No big deal though. I shoot these seated to .945 in my Kel-Tec P32. Here it is, mold 31-077B:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	96976

Views:	50 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	96977

Views:	50 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	96978
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    The only strange thing is I have to pressure feed the lead directly into the sprue plate or it won't fill out.
    This is caused by vent lines missing critical areas of bullet...usually in bullet band area. Tom is not equipped to cut thin and strait vent grooves like the excellant RCBS moulds have.
    Last edited by detox; 02-17-2014 at 08:29 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tom and I worked together to make this for my 358 win.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=36-265B-D.png.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Mold
    I had Tom put the dd ring on the nose of about 6 or more 30 cal bullet designs,some rifles shot better, but only just,compared to the same design without the ring,regardless of speed or twist,hope this helps

Banned

Detox. A lot of the older molds did not have ANY vent lines. They worked just as well as molds of today.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Detox. A lot of the older molds did not have ANY vent lines. They worked just as well as molds of today.
    I wish i had a nickel for everytime i have heard that one. Maybe Tom, RCBS, Lyman need to stop cutting vent grooves.

Boolit Master
    I'd like to see someone own up to designing the 31-120K & the 31-140V and what the intended use(s) were. The two are on my short list, maybe after April 15th...
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    I wish i had a nickel for everytime i have heard that one. Maybe Tom, RCBS, Lyman need to stop cutting vent grooves.
    I wish I had a nickle for every time someone blamed poor casting technique on an improperly designed or cut mold. Bet I'd have more nickles.

I had that problem with a dinky 32 mould and had to get it smoking hot before casting good and really had to keep on the go to keep it running !

Boolit Master
    35-168Z and the 35-150Z are mine.
    They are for 357Sig in 1911 and 2011 IPSC guns here in Australia.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post1847827

Post 16 is claiming that Mktacop here designed the 40-175c for the .400cor-bon.

This thread here is about the mold I borrowed to cast light .400 boolits.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...curate-artwork!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

36-230D is my design. Made it so that it has the max meplat that feeds well in my stainless Hawkeye (.18") and set it up so that it has a good bore riding section and that the lube groove fits dead center on the top 2/3 of the brass (the only portion that I size) when the bullet meets the leade. The bottom two bands are therefore held on the sized portion of the neck to ensure the bullet starts off straight. I get 2200fps with 42gr of H4895 out of my 358 stainless Hawkeye with 1" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I get the occasional flyer that opens up the group to 1.5" but I believe that is my poor technique. The rest of the rounds cluster nice. I can't wait to blast bambi with one...as soon as the deer will cooperate.

36-245S is a Saeco #352 clone and I also had him make. I couldn't get my hands on an original mold so I sent Tom measurements from some sample bullets that I got from another member of the forum (Thanks RugerFan). I then ordered a double mold that also has his 358009 flat pointed clone!

I just recalled that I also had him make the 43-260V. This was for my 629-4 that I've since sold. I still have the mold if anyone is interested in buying it off me. The mold was designed to be a .36" meplat hammer and fit about flush to the end of the cylander (VERY mean looking) and have a smooth transition to full caliber to get it through the gap and forcing cone as well as possible. I carried this bullet in a 696-0 for a while as my carry round. I miss both of those guns
    Last edited by youngda9; 02-25-2014 at 08:53 PM.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further brotherhood of a man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

Boolit Buddy
    51-320E is mine. Now I didn't make up drawings or anything, just emailed Tom if he could put the nose of 51-450C/D on the body of 50-325G. I had been shooting the 51-450C in my 1886 50-110 WCF and it slipped through the loading gate into the magazine tube perfectly. In my rifle blunt nose bullets like LBT LFN's will not make the bend from the loading gate into the mag tube. The nose of the 51-450C (I think the bullet was a Kansas Ed design?) is kinda close to the original Winchester nose shape. I wanted a 300 gr. version for 50-110 loads as the 450gr. was already perfect for 50-100 loads. Tom made the changes and it was in the catalog the same day I emailed and of course I immediately ordered one.

Boolit Mold
    50-725W designed for a BFR

The 35-140s was my request; not originally designed by me, but added to his catalog at my request with small mods from the original I saw that intrigued me. It was for my .38 Super, and it performs very well. I intend to hunt whitetail deer with that boolit at some point, but several of my projects have been delayed in the past year due to other priorities.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished

Boolit Master

Since we're giving credit where credit is due, (and not to hijack a thread) perhaps a senior member or someone in the know, will post molds designed by members passed such as Smoke em Joe or Oldfeller...

Boolit Grand Master

Thread updated.
    No, we are not done yet! There's more lots more!!!!!

Now, I would just like to thank everybody that actually saw fit to tell us something about how your mold worked instead of just throwing it on the table like a dead fish with no explanation. That's kind of the whole point of the thread ya know?

So, what have you designed, modified, changed, tweaked, stretched, lengthened, shortened, widened, etc etc etc????
    Why did you do it, and how did it work?
    What do you say?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Wink .... "dead fish"...?

32-220B. Inspired by the Ideal\Lyman 323471.

With Tom's guiding hand this boolit was designed for an Eddystone made P.14. Date stamp indicates >'16< as date of manufacture. While the exterior metal surfaces are in very good condition, the barrel innards put one to mind of a tortured moonscape. The throat is equally worn and ugly. Only a long boolit of sufficient diameter would fill the throat AND reach the far away rifleing. This Loverin type boolit met both demands.
    Loverin designs seem to be the most forgiving when forced through such a well worn barrel. Loverins may also be sized to a smaller diameter with minimal distortion to the projectile's lands and loob grooves.

Accuracy was as one might expect with any well worn mil-surp, rather sad. No surprise there. 75 Yds. was the limit of anything considered a "group". Way oversize (my oversight, my fault) is the muzzle's last 2 inches. An obvious clue to an overzealous application of cleaning rod abuse. Have I given thought to the installation of a new, SAAMI specified chamber and barrel, with original contour? Yes indeedy! That's another story.

No load information, except to say Prvi Partisan and IVI headstamp brass is the real deal for British military bolt guns. In my humble opinion.

Hoped to not have been too much of a dead fish,
    Y.T.,
    Wt.
    "Only when the Muslims (Arabs) begin to love their children as much as they hate us, will there be peace."
    Golda Mier

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
    Luca Scato

Banned

Some clues about the 31-200N:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Accurate-200N

Oh, Tim, we have the XCB boolit, 31-190X. It's a dead fish until we shoot it......

Gear

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast