RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: .50-70 mold availability

Boolit Bub

.50-70 mold availability

Over the years, I've owned a number of original .50-70 rifles (trapdoors, rolling blocks), and shoot them.
    BUT...
    The groove diameters are all over the map - on the large side. Whereas the nominal groove diameter (and bullet diameter) is .515", I've owned rifles with measured groove diameters up to .522" or so.
    I'm a believer in using bullets of full groove diameter in every case, but it is difficult to find or make such bullets in this case. The two rifles I'm shooting currently are a U.S. Model 1871, which has a groove diameter of .5165", and an 1866 trapdoor which measures .518" across the grooves.
    I have a 350 grain mold which will produce a bullet proper for the 1871, and which shoots very well, but have been unable to find anything which will produce a bullet large enough for the trapdoor.
    So... what I want is a mold which will cast a bullet of ca. 400 grains with a diameter of
    .520" as-cast. I've been unable to find such a mold so far. Any help in that direction will be appreciated.

mhb - Mike

Boolit Master
    If you don't mind going a little bit lighter then this might work:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.as...60285&CAT=4158

Chris.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, Chris - that might work. It is currently shown as out-of-stock, but backorders are O.K.

mhb - Mike

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Go to NOEbulletmolds.com as he has 6 .515 450 grain Hollow base molds sitting on the shelf. I bought one happily.
    And I hear what your keys jab... I have lapped out molds since my first caliber.50 military barrel entered the rifle rack.
    But then we have to remember a good dose of 3F with a 40-1 mix will "slam bump" those skinny slugs into a good groove gripper.
    Or we can put all those paper scraps to use and roll those slugs in a blanket. sure does polish a barrel.
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Accurate moulds are easy to get along with http://accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=9
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy

There are several makers who cater to the N-SSA that either stock or can make what you want.
    NEI, Moose Moulds etc. There are more on the listed links from the N-SSA.org website for vendors.
    I just sold a .520 400 grain mould from NEI. Used it fo an oversize smith carbine

Boolit Buddy
    NEI sells 395gr .525 mould for the original Spencer that I have had very good results with in a Sharps conversion to 50-70

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, all. for the info. I'll check it out.

mhb - Mike