RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Figured out why my Rossi 92 won't shoot...

Boolit Buddy

Figured out why my Rossi 92 won't shoot...

I finally got around to slugging my 20" blue Rossi 92 in 44 mag. This gun has never produced a respectable group with any ammo I've ever tried in it (cast, jacketed, mag, special). The best it's ever done is with the Lee 240 RN over 7.5 Unique in special brass and it barely managed to keep up with my 4-5/8 flattop at 25 yards off a rest. I've never slugged it before but measured 0.430" at the muzzle with calipers.

Anyways, I found a good soft 45 cal bullet and lubed it and the barrel up. I started pounding it into the muzzle and all went normally for the initial 2" inches. Then the bullet literally dropped for the next 15" inches. Then I had to start pounding on it again. Then I had to start REALLY pounding on it. I was using an 3/8" oak dowel rod and each hammer blow was only moving it less than a 1/4" each time. I finally hammered it all the way out and measured it at 0.428".

So basically I have a barrel with 0.428" at the chamber, probably 0.433"+ for the majority of the barrel, and then back down to 0.430 or so at the muzzle. No wonder this thing doesn't shoot! That also explains why soft 44 special bullets work the best. I think I'm done with Rossi's. Should I try fire lapping or just give up and try to enjoy the 4" groups at 25 yards? It's good enough for fast pace steel banging anyways.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would try firelapping first. If that didn't work, then maybe a lead lap

Don't have an answer, pretty common in rifles.
    Whatever!

Vendor Sponsor

Boy that sure gives me an idea! An easy way (and I tell ppl this quite often) to find a thread constriction in a Ruger single action is tightly patch a brass or plastic cleaning jag into the bore, push it through and if it gets real tight where the barrel screws into the frame, it has a thread constriction. The harder that jag becomes to push it the last 3/4" the worse the constriction. So when I go to buy a lever gun, I will definitely have a cleaning rod and run it down the bore a time or two. The way you describe yours, you could very easily feel the bore change dimensions with a cleaning rod if you patch it tight enough.

Boolit Master

Seems to me the best thing for you is an email (FORGET TRYING TO CALL Rossi) and explain the problem with the current barrel and that you are awaiting their instructions to send it in for a proper rebarrel and that you are awaiting further instructions on shipping.
    Be sure to refer them to the link here also so they can read the good and bad being discovered/posted about their firearms.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 02-09-2014 at 07:49 PM. Reason: corrections
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    The gun was already replaced once due to a factory bent barrel on the first one. It's been over a year since I received this one so it's out of warranty. It took them 4 months to determine the barrel on the first one was bent, so I really have no desire to deal with Rossi CS again. I also have no faith that whatever I receive back would be an improvement over what I sent in. I think I'll give fire lapping a try.

Vendor Sponsor

What would the cost be to have it rebarreled by a smith?

Boolit Buddy
    Too much

Boolit Buddy
    This is what I did to mine, scroll down to the bottom of the page and look at bore lapping kit. It worked for me and I was having the same problem you have discovered. My bore finally came out to .433 and a custom mold was ordered that dropped large enough to be sized .434.

http://www.lbtmoulds.com/measurebore.shtml

I'm saddened to hear of your problem. Out of 17 rifles, my M92 in 45colt has become my favorite.
    And, mostly because of how it shoots! Am I just lucky, or are you just unlucky?
    A buddy of mine was repeatedly nailing the top of a bowling pin at 50 yards while down on one knee. He said it was the most accurate lever action he's ever shot. I would still contact Rossi as I feel it should be covered. After all, it IS defective from the start.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Why not pilot drill that barrel and put a correct diameter liner in it. New barrel and smithy time = $250 or maybe more. Contact any of the gun mechanics here on CB and see what prices they can offer.
    Me I would do it my self.. What-cha-got to loose.
    Then there is JES Reboring.. Make it a 454, 45 Colt, 475 Linebaugh.... I have at least 6 JES barrels and they are near perfect. Great shooters.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

Make it a custom caliber as mentioned, or trade it off. You wont be happy just keeping it.

Boolit Buddy
    Turning it into a 45 is an interesting concept. Maybe I'll try fire lapping and if that doesn't work the rebore would be a good option.

Boolit Master
    Having JES rebore your 44 to 45 Colt could give you an advantage over those of us that have factory Rossi 45's. Mine shoots well, but the chamber is huge, and causes the brass to expand a lot upon firing. A rebore would let you hold to the tighter tolerances of say, the 454.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Master

Interesting I do not have a rifle, but have the Ranch Hand in 45 Colt and it shoots great it is a fun little pistol to have. The brass comes out fine no size problems and the bore is good all the way no tight or sloppy spots. Once i got the sight issue taken care of with a higher front sight I really like it.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Fire lapping or lapping of your barrel will not correct the problem you have. In fact to lap it enough to remove the tight spots will wash out your barrel lands and make the problem worse. You have three ways to correct the problem. #1 return to the rifle to the factory and have them install a new barrel. #2 Have your current barrel bored out and a liner installed, #3 or have a custom made barrel installed. number 1 is the cheapest, number 2 the next cheapest in price. Number 3 will cost you more then you paid for the rifle. there is #4, dump the rifle on some poor unsuspecting soul and now you know the reason I do not like buying a used firearm as it may be buying someone elses lemon unless I can make a good inspection of the firearm prior to purchasing it.
    I will admit that I bought a Rossi 92 in 357 mag. from a member of this forum. I did not get a lemon, in fact I got a rifle that had a very smooth action, fed everything I loaded into the magazine, including 38 spec. wadcutters and was far more accurate then I guessed it would be. I would not sell it for twice the amount I paid for it.

bore it out to a 45 smoothbore for blackpowder

Boolit Grand Master

No experience with Rossi but if factory replacement barrels are anything like Marlin that would be a waste of time and money. I bought a Marlin 94 in 45 Colt, the Cowboy rifle. Took the bore scope to it and was shocked at what I saw, it looked like it had been hacked out with a chisel. Sent it back to Marlin with photos of the bore & had to pay for a new barrel. The new factory barrel was worse than the one I sent in. It now sits in my safe waiting for me to get around to spending the money for a new aftermarket barrel. Once I do and I probably will, I'll have the cost of the rifle, the cost of a factory replacement barrel and the cost of an aftermarket barrel tied up in it. Pricey Marlin huh?

I've looked through the bore scope at several more brand new Marlins in the store while looking for a 45-70 and they were every bit as bad. Sad what they are putting out these days.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Basically, sending a gun back for anything but lawyer safety reasons is a mistake. The assumption is that the same quality control guys will be involved, and they could care less about "accuracy". If the factory uses a special team to handle problems or customization, that would be a different matter. But, they typically charge big dollars for any compensation to the lawyered gun. So, prolly your personal smithy would do much better for the same bucks. The JES option sounds most excellent! ... felix
    felix

Vendor Sponsor

Jeez the more I read about current leverguns, of several mfgrs, the more I want to go over one with a fine toothed comb before shelling out for it! There are hints and clues and tidbits in these threads that would really behoove the buyer to write them down and go with a keen eye peeled for issues that most here have posted out of hindsight. No way you could see any of these things by ordering one online or having a LGS order you one. Only way I would order one sight unseen, is with a no questions asked return policy. Some of this stuff is downright scary! Can they not make a barrel these days?