RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a single shot rifle... is there an existing barrel I can use?

I was planning on doing something similar to what your doing & never got around to it. I did get a bull bbl from a winchester 52d to use on the project. The way it's going it will be years before I ever use it. If your interested in a quality match bbl cheap send me a pm. I'll sell it for what I have in it.

forrest r

Boolit Master
    yup, same guy. I was sure this thread and that one was no coincidense but I answered this one just in case it was differant. Stick by oldred he is talented and practical. My action was sandwiched and welded, very easy and practical to do for a 22 rimfire. Some day I will dig it out.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Perm-Banned
    norm johnson at turtle lake n.dak. has made some .22 long rifle barrels that can keep the bullet in one hole at reasonable target ranges. i know the shooters who have had him make a .22 lr barrel have been more than pleased. i believe his prices are reasonable also. hes easy to talk to, give him a call.

Whatever you end up using you should be taking a hard look @ a target grade bull bbl. The 10-22 stock bbl's are cheap for a reason. & the replacement bull bbl's aren't much better. Most of them have what's known as a "bentz" match chamber which is another way of saying they have loose chambers. A kids rifle, the chipmunk has a tighter chamber than the 10-22's with the bentz chamber.

If you're going to take the trouble to build a such a nice rifle, put an accurate bbl on it. A ptg chamber reamer chart, it will give you an idea of what size/types of chambers are being used in different firearms.

Attachment 95778

Different ammo's have different diameter bullets along with different length bullets. Typically target ammo has the shorter/fatter bullets and blammo/hunting has the longer/slimmer ammo.

Attachment 95779

As you can see on the ptg chart target chambers are cut shorter & the sporting chambers are longer. When I did a 10-22 build a couple of years back I bought a used butler creek stainless bull bbl. I re-crowned that bbl & cut 1/4" off of it & cut a new chamber in it using a ptg lilja finish reamer. After getting rid of the junk bentz chamber that bbl shoots lights out. I built that 10-22 to play around with silhouettes & to shoot flies with.

Attachment 95781

It does both extremely well. Take your time & build a good one.

forrest r

Marlin Model 60 barrels are a press fit with a cross pin below. Perfectly adequate for .22 rimfire. For some reason they are for sale on Gunbroker all the time, sometimes for $25, like-new ones for $50. I have bought several to remachine for the single-shot boys' rifle buildups that I am doing. OEM shank is .630" diameter, .875" long. The Model 60 had dual extractors at 9:00 and 3:00.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I rebarreled a Ruger M77/22 with a barrel from a WInchester M52. I was pleased witht eh results because the 52 barrel shot a lot better than the factory Ruger barrel.

Money spent on the barrel is never a bad thing.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    I was planning on doing something similar to what your doing & never got around to it. I did get a bull bbl from a winchester 52d to use on the project. The way it's going it will be years before I ever use it. If your interested in a quality match bbl cheap send me a pm. I'll sell it for what I have in it.

forrest r
    Hey Forrest, I shot you a PM.

Thanks
    Luke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12