RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Need help with cleaning stock pad

Need help with cleaning stock pad

New to your site, not sure where to post this. My daughter and I bought a fixer upper h&r reg'lar 22 bolt action. We were wondering, the butt pad has some brown grime deep in the checkering, is there a cleaner anyone one can suggest that will not hurt the plastic? She is eager to here from anyone and anxious to learn. Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not sure, maybe use any kind-of cleaner, water and an old toothbrush or remove it and throw in the dishwasher? Personally I would just leave it be lol, but if she wants it clean then I guess it's gots to get cleaned
    Hope for change.

We tried a toothbrush with hot water and laundry soap. The grime is probably 60 yrs old. Guess we might have to use needle to get in the tiny checkering. Just take our sweet time.

Dawn Dish detergent and hot water. NOT BOILING.

Let it soak. Hope this helps. Every grime has its own "flavor"!

Welcome to the site.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Thank you. We'll give it a try tomorrow. 12 yrs old and she has more drive for this project than my boy. Should be fun if I can keep her calmed down and take her time.

Boolit Master

Try Goo-Gone. It should not hurt the plastic and will remove about any grime.

Boolit Master

Hoppe's #9 and a toothbrush

Wd40.

I thought about using something with an oil base to loosen it up and then some dawn and hot water. Have some goo-gone also I can try. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Perm-Banned
    i really like the mention of your daughters desire to do thing with you. i have 7 children, 4 girls and 3 boys. what i found was what you did, their is no gender for the fun things you want to do if your an outdoors person and like hunting, shooting, fishing and trecking.new fathers never fret if your first born is a girl, they end up at your side loving shooting fishing and everything you do. i had one like that. about what you asked, a tooth brush and what takes it out, i dont know. let us know.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Mineral spirits on a shop rag will clean it up. I've used it on hundreds of rifles.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

We'll after a long week, we got going on it. Wd40 worked the best, but still left some spots. Been letting soak. I think it will all come out. This girl has some drive. This project will get done sooner than I thought. I can't tell if she's more excited to see the final project or shoot it. This has been a great bonding moment.

Get a wire tooth brush, it will remove all that is left. A regular tooth brushes bristles are just not firm enough to get into all the nooks and crannies, the wire ones will.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

We got it. Tried wd40 (worked ok), soaked in mineral spirits (didn't do much), and soaked in liquid wrench (cleaned it right up). Used a small wire brush on each. Looks nice and shiny now except for 60+ yrs of nicks and bumps. Thanks to all for the advise. My daughter enjoyed the posts.