MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Just got a new toy, German Model 98, Thanks Blammer!

Boolit Master

Just got a new toy, German Model 98, Thanks Blammer!

This post is to say thanks to Blammer for taking such good care of me. I met him at Greensboro NC show this past weekend and picked up a German Model 98 Mauser from him. I've wanted one for a long time. I'm been cleaning the crud and old copper out of the bore. A friend came over today and we put about 40 rounds 100 yards down range. We were using old Milsurp ammo but were getting about 2.5-3" groups. I was pleased. I expect with more work, cleanup and loading my own, it will get better. Gotta get a couple odds and end like a front sight hood and should be set.

Boolit Master

Great! I saw the plan in the works in another thread so I'm glad that you two linked up.

So tell us the details on the Mauser. What's the manufacturing code on the ring, the date, etc. Of course a photo would be nice.

I'm not surprised at the accuracy. With some of my handloads, my BYF and my CE Mauser will hold right at one and a half MOA for 10 shot groups.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Blammer is a good guy to deal with.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    Blammer is a good guy to deal with.
    And THAT is the truth !!

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetzer View Post
    Great! I saw the plan in the works in another thread so I'm glad that you two linked up.

So tell us the details on the Mauser. What's the manufacturing code on the ring, the date, etc. Of course a photo would be nice.

I'm not surprised at the accuracy. With some of my handloads, my BYF and my CE Mauser will hold right at one and a half MOA for 10 shot groups.
    I'll try to get some pictures taken and posted. It has 'byf' and '41' so I believe that makes it a 1941 vintage from 'Mauser-Werke KG, Oberndorf on the Neckar' which I believe was the original Mauser factory. I need to get a couple items like a front sight hood and a 2nd barrel ring. It looks like somebody way back heated and reshaped the barrel ring so it could be used on the bottom with the bottom sling attachment on the rear bottom of the stock. I've seen a 2nd barrel ring that had a bottom and side slink attaching point so maybe that is what should be on it, not positive.

In the mean time I keep swapping and scrubbing the bore and removing old copper and skunge. It keeps looking better and better.

I got GC's from Blammer and the dies I ordered should be arriving this week. I sinned a great sin by picking up some jacketed Nosler Ballistic Tips to play with while at the show. I have some usable powders I can play with but probably not what I'd like to use so will maybe pick up some Varget or Reloader 15. Once I'm happy with the performance and can slug the bore this weekend, I'll get a mold on the way.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    And THAT is the truth !!

Jack
    Yep, very much so!

Boolit Master

Jeff,

You are indeed correct. Your rifle was made in Oberndorf at the Mauser "Werk." German WWII Kar 98s used a lower barrel band (Unterring) with the sling attachment on the left side to correspond with the side sling attachment in the butt of the rifle. The WWI Rifles had them under the stock like US and British rifles of the period. Given the Teutonic fascination with accuracy, they never used the sling as a shooting aid, at least as far as I know. Many photos of marksmanship training in the Wehrmacht show soldiers in training shooting from a shooting platform, but without any sling support. Of course the US Army doesn't teach it any more either.

For a good book on the details of your Mauser, go to the library and check out or reserve "Backbone of the Wehrmacht" by Richard D Law. It gives the details of each manufacturer by year. According to the book, Mauser made 346,440 "BYF" Mausers in Oberndorf in 1941. In 1943, the year my "BYF" was made, they produced circa 1,242,362.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 02-04-2014 at 02:25 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Scharf,

Thanks for that. I've sent an email to my wife to check out from the library since she visits it all the time. It's interesting to have some history on a piece.

Banned

You are certainly welcome! Glad it's a good shooter, it should be big fun to play with for sure.

I like the 200gr NB in my 8x57 with IMR4350.

Boolit Master

NOE Molds had the 326471 215Gr. RN 2 cavity GC mold in stock this evening so ordered that with top punch. Shopping for powder tomorrow. fun fun fun

Boolit Master

Finally got around to posting the pictures, sorry it took so long... Picked up a bottle of Sweets and have gotten most of the old copper out now. Time to start testing the barrel. NOE 326471 should be on the way shortly. In the mean time, will play with some ballistic tips.

Federal Brass, CCI primer, Nosler 180 gr Ballistic Tip and 48 gr IMR-4350. Hope it works!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	461.8 KB 
ID:	97007
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0529.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	413.4 KB 
ID:	97008

Banned

Hope it does too!

I had awful luck with 180 BT's and my 8mm. It much preferred the 200gr variety.

Boolit Master

Good luck with the Ballistic Tips.

With jacketed bullets my Kar 98s have always shot very well with the Sierra 175 grain Spitzer bullet. They also shoot well with the old Remington bulk 185 grain Spitzer. About 1 1/4 MOA with the Sierras and 1 3/4 to 2 MOA with the Remingtons. Someday I'll get around to trying the Sierra Matchking or Ballistic Tip bullets in 8mm.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Shot my M98 Yugo capture Mauser over the screens yesterday. 11gr. Unique under a Lee 175gr. avg'ed 1413 for a 5 shot string. Showed potential with accuracy as well.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

I'm hoping to put the rounds I loaded up over the chrony this weekend too. The weekend just isn't getting here fast enough though....

Congrats JeffG! I absolutely love my K98's. No better Mil-Surp Rifle for the money out there, and wouldn't sell mine for any amount. I've always thought the tangent sights on the K98's were the best open sights on any battle rifle. Don't forget about 2400 for the 8MM. I use 19 to 20 grains with the Lee 175 gr and it shoots fantastic.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Prospector Howard View Post
    Congrats JeffG! I absolutely love my K98's. No better Mil-Surp Rifle for the money out there, and wouldn't sell mine for any amount. I've always thought the tangent sights on the K98's were the best open sights on any battle rifle. Don't forget about 2400 for the 8MM. I use 19 to 20 grains with the Lee 175 gr and it shoots fantastic.
    Thanks Howard. I haven't seen 2400 in my neck of the woods for a long time. I did manage to get some IMR 4350 and 4198 so expect I'll start with 4198 once the mold shows up from NOE. I found a bottle of Sweets and finally got all the copper out of the bore. I had been feeling a roughness in the last 3-4 inches near the muzzle and was finally able to see some pitting in the barrel. We'll see how it does when I get the chance to shoot it and work the loads. There are options available in any event.