Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to build brass Rotary tumbler on the cheap side.

Boolit Master

Does anyone make a plastic jar that is almost a ball (i.e. completely round) instead of cylindrical?

I don't have room for a tumbler. My little apartment reloading closet is already full, until we move (summer?) I have stuff already being stored outside in the weather....so I have no room for a tumbler. But I'd like one.

I drive a lot. I drive off-road a lot. Several miles every day at work. I'm thinking that if I could fill a round heavy-duty jar with brass, etc, and sit it inside a box in the bed of the truck, I could tumble brass while I work.

All I need is a near-round jar with a heavy-duty screw-lid.

(I'm about to leave the house with a cylindrical jar full of brass and pins and water and citric acid to test this concept, but would prefer a better jar)

They used to sell something like that at pet stores that you could let a rat run around the house in.

For a short time beer came in little round plastic kegs.

This is mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rotatorio 3.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	96560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	totatorio 1.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	96561

Has anyone used a ceiling fan motor wired to a dimmer switch? Just trying to get some tumbler parts together to start building one just want some input

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    I have the motor with the shaft attached from a Kenmore washer that is in excellent condition that I was going to sell but this post has me thinking I wish I had kept the rest of machine parts that could have been used to make a tumbler. Having two of the others (vibrators) at the time, I never considered making one but now that one of my others died and cant' be resurrected (needs a motor) easily I may go this route.

Since I still have the motor from a treadmill that could be another possibility for a wet tumbler. Thanks for the posts and ideas.
    Last edited by trebor44; 01-23-2020 at 10:45 AM. Reason: More info
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

I don't need my brass to sparkle, just need it to be clean and lube free.
    Bought the cook a new Kitchen Aid mixer, and took the old Chinese mixer out to the shed.
    Cut the base off the mixer and mounted it upside down at a 45 deg. angle on a timber frame. Cut off the drive shaft, and tck screwed a 2 qt yoghurt tub to the rotating base. A second 2 qt yoghurt tub fits inside the mounted tub and thats my tumbler.
    It works to clean brass, and also to do my Hi-Tek coating. And just like all the expensive gear, it's speed variable too .
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Banned
    Heavy windshield wiper motor, computer power supply (12-volt wires (yellow)), scrap wood, metal, wheels, plastic (for fins caulked and screwed in after beveling 1 edge) long nut to attach 1 bucket to the motor, screw n watertight lid from a big box store or?

metal framed upgrade

If there is a large market that sells olives, ask them about the containers there are three gallon containers that are very sturdy and an easy off top. For shipping it has one of those wire and lead shipping "lock".
    The rotisserie motor is a great option. I buy any new ones I see when I'm out thrift store shopping with my son. They can be a bit slow, but they work.
    Ice cream churn motors can be made to work.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piclke barrels.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	255571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tumbler_001.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	255572

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12